Why become a member? ×

Are folk allowed to use your pictures on ebay?

Just a question really, that is my original picture of this MK combo from when I sold it to a very respected BC'er on here, and now the pic has cropped up on ebay! I mailed the guy and it has since dissapered. Dunno really...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161033541805?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

No they are not.

I complained about this some months ago, when a bass I sold turned up for sale with the new seller using the the photos I'd originally taken of it for my sale. Lots of people told me not to be so precious.

However apart from the copyright issue, since someone else has owned the instrument between when you photographed it and when they advertised it for sale, there is no guarantee that the bass is actually in that condition any more.

You can report eBay sellers using your photographs [url=http://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/home?]here using the "Report an item" link[/url]. You'll have to do a bit of navigating around to find the actual path for reporting images, but there is one.

If you look at Google images for a particular piece of gear often you'll come up with pictures of items seen or that you have sold on here or on eBay. For example today I was looking at JV Squier basses and I found pics of several I have owned and sold on here - it was especially poignant since there was one I really miss! I guess that once published on a site they are in the public domain for all to see so they could be used anyway, unless you add a 'watermark' ID or copyright.

MB1.
Hello Andy
Could be a scam or the seller can't be bothered to take a pic.
You're definately not allowed to use other people's old pics though!
as they're supposed to show the condition of the item your selling.

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1369759448' post='2092425']
MB1.
Hello Andy
Could be a scam or the seller can't be bothered to take a pic.
You're definately not allowed to use other people's old pics though!
as they're supposed to show the condition of the item your selling.
[/quote]You have my train of thought Sir MB1

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1369759173' post='2092417']
If you look at Google images for a particular piece of gear often you'll come up with pictures of items seen or that you have sold on here or on eBay. For example today I was looking at JV Squier basses and I found pics of several I have owned and sold on here - it was especially poignant since there was one I really miss! I guess that once published on a site they are in the public domain for all to see so they could be used anyway, unless you add a 'watermark' ID or copyright.
[/quote] see my one? that normally comes up too :)

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1369770549' post='2092635']
[sup]Same thing happened to me on here, sold a Bass and he put it straight onto eBay at a pretty big mark up and used my photos, without the courtesy of a quick email. Does it sound like sour grapes....?[/sup]
[/quote] I would be right pissed off at that if it were me.

Worst I've seen was someone who bought a bass very cheap off ebay (i know as I was watching it) then listed it on here at twice the price a few hours later.... of course no photos and he stalled for a day or two untill he actually got it posted to him.

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1369759173' post='2092417']
[/quote]

Copyright comes automatically. There has been some fuss recently about legislation to make it actually legal to use images that are floating around the web where the creator doesn't care about them being used.

I've bought an amp on ebay that was using a picture of one of my amps, surprisingly, when the amp arrived, it was not as pictured (since the pictured one was sat in my living room the whole time) so I tapped up the scrote for £50 back for using my image/item not being as per image.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1369784785' post='2092821']

Copyright comes automatically. There has been some fuss recently about legislation to make it actually legal to use images that are floating around the web where the creator doesn't care about them being used.

I've bought an amp on ebay that was using a picture of one of my amps, surprisingly, when the amp arrived, it was not as pictured (since the pictured one was sat in my living room the whole time) so I tapped up the scrote for £50 back for using my image/item not being as per image.
[/quote]

Good call about the amp. I always believed copyright/ownership had to be stated or declared - otherwise once submitted to the public domain it was lost. I know that Facebook have had a legal battle about using submitted images - my brother is a photographer and always uses a 'signature' across the image to prevent reproduction of the image without permission/payment.

[quote name='phsycoandy' timestamp='1369753725' post='2092335']
....Just a question really....
[/quote]

The whole world thinks it's ok to "steal" your music, so why would anyone worry about "stealing" your photo?

Must admit if I`m ever selling an item that I`ve bought off of here, if the pics are better than I could produce, and providing that the item is still in the same condition, I`ll ask the original seller if they mind me using them. As I`ve not got a very good camera (on my Blackberry) it`s sometimes the easier way, but it`s polite to ask, and also to not use them if the originator refuses.