Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender Japan 75 reissue

Bassman Steve

Just taken delivery (from our chums at Ishibashi) this 2nd hand 75 reissue. It's the ash-bodied version with US pick-up.

These are simply stunning basses and this is my second one. They are both waiting on Howard to deliver a pair of his brilliant red tort plates to add about 4 years to their 'age' and then I'll post some better pics.

You don't see too many of these around as people tend to favour the 62 reissue (which is another fine bass) but this model is my favourite as it is lighter and has a slightly thinner neck profile.

[attachment=135592:DSCN0175.JPG]

The red sofa is obligatory I understand.

Edited by Bassman Steve

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1369673328' post='2091455']
Very roughly - £500 for the bass, £100 for express delivery and £140 for VAT and Duty. That's against £1,200 for a new USA standard - absolutely no contest to me.
[/quote]

Thanks Steve - very interesting *strokes chin*

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1369674719' post='2091485']
It's interesting.How do they compare against American Vintage J's and P's? They go for around 800 quid second hand?
[/quote]

John Blackman at fareastguitars sells 2nd hand MIJ/CIJ precision and jazz basses which go for less than £700 shipped (non export models). I've had a '75 RI Jazz and '62 RI Jazz from him and they play better than any USA AV series, US standard or US deluxe basses I've ever played (and I work in a guitar shop, so play a lot of gear!). I'd buy Japanese Fenders before US every time. Better quality, similar components and much better value for money. Just my opinion though :)

That's certainly mine too. The Ishibashi site is also stuffed full of second hand Japanese basses. Unfortunately, John Blackman doesn't get very many basses at all these days. I have bought from him (and very successfully). Mark at Classic and Cool is another one to check out. He gets some very nice basses in too.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1369657062' post='2091248']
He's on here as The Bass Doc, that's how I tend to communicate. That's not the quickest way but I'm not in a hurry anyway.

Extremely high quality stuff so a bit of a wait is fine - and no feet drop off either!!
[/quote]

Thank you :D