Why become a member? ×

Downsizing considerably. (Orange Terror and SP range question)

cocco

I've had my orange AD200 and OBC 8x10 for a while now and I'm completely in love with it. Only problem is I'm no longer in a touring band, instead I've formed a covers band with the intention of playing the pub scene so obviously it's just too big and probably too loud.

The sound still ticks all the boxes for me though. So to make the downsizing as pain free as possible I'm thinking of a Bass Terror (sounds nearly the same as my AD after testing them together, just better at low volumes) and one of the smart power cabs, my question is what are the smart power cabs like in the real world? And also which one to go for? Does the 2x12 fill a room?

Or do I get something else entirely? Markbass? TC?

Edited by cocco

If you want to stay with the orange sound id go for the terror but they only still do the 212 sp now, never played through an sp maybe try and find an obc 410 not to big of an overall soundchange.

Ive heard from ppl that the 212 sp is loud tho but there are also ppl who dislike them best thing to do is to trust your ears and gry and play one.

Burrito on here uses the OTB with one of the SP cabs, can`t remember which. Heard him with a band and, although going FOH, it was a great sound. However maybe the OBC410 would be a wiser shift - it`s rotten buying gear then not getting on with it and the shift from an 810 to an isobaric 212 will be considerable. Good quality castors, it`s only getting in/out of the car that will be a problem.

Saying all that though, BF Super 12 - light, more than enough grunt for what you`ll need. Yes, a bit more expensive, but worth checking out.

I got an orange tb500 head and a sp12 cab last week.
gigged it twice now and can,t believe the sound and volume of this set up.
The cab in the real world defies physics.
Try one out but it,s in the mix where you feel ,hear it.It just fills the room.
It doesn,t cut through the mix but steamrollers through.
Comments from people are-jeez the building shaking,I can feel it in my stomach,what a sound etc.
One guy who plays in bands made the comment that I was too high up in the mix and I replied that I wasn,t in the PA.
I,m impressed and it,s the sound I,ve been after.

I've used the OBT with an SP212 cab for quite a few gigs in various set ups (one guitar, two guitars, guitarists using Marshall half stacks etc.) and in big/small bars.

The rig has no problem competing with guitarists/drummers or filling any of the rooms. The bass cuts through no problem and certainly isn't lacking in 'oomph' or bottom end.

I scaled down from an Ampeg set up with a 15 cab and I'm much happier with the OBT tone and the portability speaks for itself. I swapped out the valves in the OBT for less gain at lower settings.

The eq takes a bit of figuring out (well it did for me anyway) but I've never been happier with my tone using either my Yamaha Attitude, my Hofner or my Musicman Sub.

The OBT and the SP212 are a great pairing IMHO.

It's funny you posted this, I'm looking at trading up to an ad200 from a terror bass. I have the tb1000 and I'm really happy with it. For the extra £100 odd you will spend on a tb1000 over a tb500 you will appreciate the extra headroom. I'm not entirely sure my search will Be worth it or just the cudos of having an all valve head...
I run mine through a matamp 610 and I've not used it live, but in the rehearsal room it stands tall and cuts through the band really REALLY well

Lozz earlier stated about my Terror head and SP210 cab. It's been my only set up for about 3yrs now. If I'd have had the extra funds I'd have gone 212 but the 210 is great fun and I've never regretted it. I tend to find in smaller venues it fills out the sound and anything bigger *always* has a sound engineer so we put me through the PA. I am forever getting favourable comments from people on my set up. I have noticed a few knock the SP Orange cabs on here but then you could say that with any of the kit spoken about on Basschat. It's strange though as they aren't that common so I do wonder if everyone knocking the things has down more than just try them in a shop. Orange now do a conventional OBC210 too or the single option of the 410 or 115 could work for those worried about going down the Smart Power route.

I've gone from an Orange AD200B with a Matamp 2x12 down to a Terror Bass with an Ampeg SVT210AV. If/when I join a band again I'll add a second cab. I love the sound of these sealed cabs, and with two stacked on top of each other you'll hear yourself really well on stage with speakers right up by your ear and get great dispersion with all the drivers vertically aligned. Plus the cabs are cheap as chips and you can lift them with your little finger! Only downside is you'll need to make a foam platform for the head to sit on since the strap and countersunk cups get in the way of the amp's feet.

• 2 months later...

I have done once and didn't have a problem, although I was sensible with the volume knob. I have the second cab now that I'm playing with my old band temporarily again until they find a new bassist - hoping to get a chance to use the full rig soon!

I've had an SP210 and TB500 for a year now and absolutely love this setup.

Although it only has the volume of one speaker, it has the bass of two and really needs to be heard to be believed.

I've gigged mine at a variety of venues and it's never felt lacking.

At half volume and gain, it's even been heard on the other side of a 300 acre farm!

I tried the SP212 and went for the SP210 as I prefer the tone of 10's and listening to them back to back confirmed it for me.

It's also amazing how small this set up is. I'd quite often go to gigs in my smart car with cab, amp, bass and a box of pedals and it would all go in the boot!

Can someone help out this poor soul.
Since I got my OBT 500 and SP212 cab I,ve been in heaven.
Everything sounds great through it and I didn,t have crap amps before I got it.
I want another sp212 cab cause it would be cool,might not plug it in -whit going louder .
Kidding course it would be plugged in.
I,m not suffering from shortage of volume by the way either and loving the small size and portability.
The new ones are fixed now-hot DI,hot Gain,

• 2 weeks later...

I'd keep the AD200 and couple it with the OBC410. Thats my setup and I find it great for everything. I did use the Bass Terror for about 6 months. Night and day tonewise compared to the AD in my opinion. Didn't really get on with the Smartpower 410, it couldn't put out the spl that I needed on a rock gig. I found the 210 to
be much better.

Edited by mart3442

FWIW, I think the "negative" comments in the isobaric cabs have mainly or all been from people who comment on the isobaric principle or on Orange's naming convention (them calling an isobaric 112 a 212).
I can't remember any negative comments on the [b]sound[/b] of them, though maybe there are some.

So I don't think BC comments are a reason to avoid trying them.
(Me, I haven't heard them, and can't comment.)

best,
bert

• 2 weeks later...