Why become a member? ×

FNBD: First ever bass guitar!

lowvoice

Here it is, I went for the faded SG!

All lovely, a bit buzzy unplugged but you can't hear it when amped. But check out that rosewood on the neck, is that colour tinted to look like that or just super red in colour naturally?

Thanks to everyone who helped me in [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/208050-first-bass-gibson-sg-faded-vs-squier-mustang-vm/"]this thread[/url]!

Congrats on that, it looks great. Have been eyeing these up for a while now, and especially as Trevor Bolder recently passed, it`s brought these to the front of my GAS list.

So please tell me it`s horrible, and in no way would I ever want one :rolleyes:

For some balance (which is more than can be said for the bass in question), I do not miss in any way my first bass. It turned out to be the antithesis of what I now know I like in a bass and I couldn't care less if it has been turned into a coffee table. No pining here.

Hope you're liking your first bass though! :)

[quote name='lowvoice' timestamp='1369422254' post='2089207']
Here it is, I went for the faded SG!

All lovely, a bit buzzy unplugged but you can't hear it when amped. But check out that rosewood on the neck, is that colour tinted to look like that or just super red in colour naturally?

Thanks to everyone who helped me in [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/208050-first-bass-gibson-sg-faded-vs-squier-mustang-vm/"]this thread[/url]!
[/quote]
Hey! Welcome to BC and congrats.

You say it's a bit buzzy, maybe you can tell us more and we can help you fix it up with a small tweek?

My guess is a small turn of the truss rod and you'll be happier still :)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1369473164' post='2089540']

Hey! Welcome to BC and congrats.

You say it's a bit buzzy, maybe you can tell us more and we can help you fix it up with a small tweek?

My guess is a small turn of the truss rod and you'll be happier still :)
[/quote]

Well it's basically fret buzz, but I'm yet to play a bass that hasn't done it so I assumed it was quite normal for basses. I was thinking of taking it to someone to get it set up, could anyone recomend someone really good in central London? If its a simple thing I guess I could give it a go myself?

Also, thought I'd say that I am not new to fretted instruments, as a guitarist of about 20 years, hence I wanted a professional level instrument that would last me a lifetime.

My fretting technique is pretty decent, but could anyone recommend some good tutorials for learning right hand technique? I am currently using a pick but would like to play with my fingers.

Edited by lowvoice

Hi there Lowvoice,
The Bass Gallery in Camden will do a great set up for a far price. Or you can do it yourself.

The first thing to do is see if the buzz happens on all strings. If it does, then you can be fairly sure the truss-rod needs adjusting.

Here's a vid on how to do the truss rod adjustment:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te44eWXd9pc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te44eWXd9pc[/url]

For left and right hand technique, take a look at the videos on www.scottsbasslessons.com

Another good site for other stuff is www.studybass.com - but you might be past that level

Good luck

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1369491575' post='2089768']
That looks too cool to be a first bass! Congratulations. :)

As the above post points out, www.scottsbasslessons.com is one of the best resources out there for getting that right hand technique down.
[/quote]

Yeah nice first bass, here is a pic of my first bass for comparison, welcome to the boards too

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1369489906' post='2089753']
Hi there Lowvoice,
The Bass Gallery in Camden will do a great set up for a far price. Or you can do it yourself.

The first thing to do is see if the buzz happens on all strings. If it does, then you can be fairly sure the truss-rod needs adjusting.[/quote]

It was indeed buzzing on all frets on all strings! Yesterday I was passing through denmark street and thought I'd just take it in for one of the techs to have a look at, a guy took one look and said, 'looks really nice, but theres no relief in the neck', within five minutes he had adjusted the truss rod half a turn, and checked the intonation. Within moments most of the buzzing had gone (now it only does so when played with a pick pretty hard!).

Best of all, I went to give the guy some cash for his efforts and he wouldn't accept it, saying that it was such a small thing he couldn't possibly take any payment!

Really nice to know that people like that exist in this world!

[quote name='lowvoice' timestamp='1369734235' post='2092005']
It was indeed buzzing on all frets on all strings! Yesterday I was passing through denmark street and thought I'd just take it in for one of the techs to have a look at, a guy took one look and said, 'looks really nice, but theres no relief in the neck', within five minutes he had adjusted the truss rod half a turn, and checked the intonation. Within moments most of the buzzing had gone (now it only does so when played with a pick pretty hard!).

Best of all, I went to give the guy some cash for his efforts and he wouldn't accept it, saying that it was such a small thing he couldn't possibly take any payment!

Really nice to know that people like that exist in this world!
[/quote]

Which establishment was that?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1369737041' post='2092053']
Which establishment was that?
[/quote]

To be honest I'd rather not say publicly as he told me that he isn't meant to do any work on guitars not bought in the shop! On the offchance that someone may read this in the future, I'd rather not land him in it after he was so generous!

It was crazy though, I thought he might be able to just have a quick look, and recommend me someone to see, but once the case was open the next thing I knew was the SG was on his work desk and he was unscrewing the truss rod cover!

Edited by lowvoice

[quote name='lowvoice' timestamp='1369737540' post='2092059']
To be honest I'd rather not say publicly as he told me that he isn't meant to do any work on guitars not bought in the shop! On the offchance that someone may read this in the future, I'd rather not land him in it after he was so generous!

It was crazy though, I thought he might be able to just have a quick look, and recommend me someone to see, but once the case was open the next thing I knew was the SG was on his work desk and he was unscrewing the truss rod cover!
[/quote] But when you want your 2nd bass where will you go?

Also, now you've told us all and we think better of the place for the good service you got others may follow. So, not such a bad PR move is it?