Why become a member? ×

Greetings from Northern Norway

Magne

[quote name='spike' timestamp='1369340482' post='2088172']
Hi Magne, welcome to basschat, I'm visiting Narvik in two weeks time, not too far from where you are. Nothing wrong with drinking IPA, it's my favourite beer.
[/quote]

Thank you. Narvik is only 90 minutes by car from here. It's actually the rival city of Harstad when it comes to everything. We always have to beat Narvik, no matter what..hehe I shouldn't mention the weather, but if you get lucky and get to experience Northern Norway on a beautiful summer day, you're in for a treat. How do you travel there?

I'm travelling by train from Oslo to Bodo and then by plane to Narvik. I'm only staying there for one day before I go on to Abisko in Sweden and then Stockholm and back to England. I want to go up the Fagernesfjellet mountain at midnight so I'm hoping the weather will be good for that.

[quote name='Magne' timestamp='1369339796' post='2088158']
Lol. I can't stand the piss people try to pass off as beer. Someone called me a hipster for drinking IPA.
If that is the case, I'm a hipster. But I doubt it, I don't drink it ironically. ;)
[/quote]

LOL. Great post.
Hipster, eh? How do they even manage to invent so much tripe.
Me, I love IPA. Can't find too many of them locally though, but do find enough types of Nøgne Ø and enough Belgian ales like Westmalle Tripel. Yummy.

Spike, don't be like some Dutch friends of mine who, whilst staying with us in the extreme South, opened the map one morning, and proclaimed they'd have a day trip to Narvik by car that day. :D

b,
b

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1369342947' post='2088241']

Spike, don't be like some Dutch friends of mine who, whilst staying with us in the extreme South, opened the map one morning, and proclaimed they'd have a day trip to Narvik by car that day. :D

[/quote]

I might be nearly as bad as your Dutch friends, I'm spending three days above the arctic circle and I wish it was more but I can't afford the time ( or money ).

There's a couple of bars here in town that have a good beer selection. My favourite at the moment got to be Snake Dog IPA made by Flying Dog Brewery in Maryland. A couple of american guys came in to the bar one day, and I recommended it to them. They were from Maryland, but had never heard of it. They had to come all the way to Harstad to discover it. :-)

So, a day trip to Narvik? LOL

[quote name='spike' timestamp='1369343744' post='2088268']
I might be nearly as bad as your Dutch friends, I'm spending three days above the arctic circle and I wish it was more but I can't afford the time ( or money ).
[/quote]

Don't worry. You can visit for a longer time next time. You have to see Lofoten. It's breathtaking.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1369331009' post='2087926']
Welcome, Magne. We have a small Norwegian contingent on the forum, I believe. I'm sure they'll turn up and say hi.
[/quote]

Ooh, that's my cue...

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1369334431' post='2088002']
...Dunno about many Norse folks here, but I know of several foreigners living in Norway - like myself...
[/quote]

Another immigrant to your fine country here. Welcome to BC :D

Thank you very much! :)

It is a fine country. Sure, it has its issues, but which country hasn't. After moving back from a 20 year long stay in Sweden,
I must say that there's no place on earth I rather live than exactly where I live. :)

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1369334431' post='2088002']
Hallå harsta'gøtten! Velkomm til BC. Mine Nårsk ær nått så bra såm jur Engelsk, menn jai hoppast du will trivast hær ( ... og nå får vi se åssen disse folka greier seg med gogel trens let. :lol: ).
[/quote]

[i]Howdy harsta'gøtten! Welcome to BC. My Nårsk ary reached the end so good Saam udder English, men jai jump you will thrive army (... and now we'll se how these guys manage with Gogel Trens look.: Lol:).[/i]

Not very well apparently. :)
Welcome Magne. I'm off to see your compatriot Mari Boine in London next week. :) :)
And I've just had a hot dog in Skandi Kitchen. So that's my Scandophile credentials established :lol: .

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1369397611' post='2088726']
[i]Howdy harsta'gøtten! Welcome to BC. My Nårsk ary reached the end so good Saam udder English, men jai jump you will thrive army (... and now we'll se how these guys manage with Gogel Trens look.: Lol:).[/i]

Not very well apparently. :)
Welcome Magne. I'm off to see your compatriot Mari Boine in London next week. :) :)
And I've just had a hot dog in Skandi Kitchen. So that's my Scandophile credentials established :lol: .
[/quote]

Thank you. Mari Boine has done some good albums over the years. I haven't seen her live yet, but I hope I will some day.
There is a couple of Sami Festivals here each year which usually have a good line-up. Haven't checked if she is playing
on any of those yet.

Lol, Google translate.. I did a translation job for a quiz-app for smartphones last year. I translated about 10.000 questions from
swedish to norwegian, all of them first translated using google translate. Most of the time it was easier to just delete the "translated"
question and start from scratch. :)

Edited by Magne

[quote name='Magne' timestamp='1369340994' post='2088186']
Thank you. Narvik is only 90 minutes by car from here. It's actually the rival city of Harstad when it comes to everything. We always have to beat Narvik, no matter what..hehe I shouldn't mention the weather, but if you get lucky and get to experience Northern Norway on a beautiful summer day, you're in for a treat.
[/quote]

The diving would have to be pretty good in Harstad to beat Narvik, especially the wreck of the Hermann Kunne, which we dived on the stillest of sunny summers days. I loved my visit to Norway and would love to go back and do some more cold-water diving there.

Welcome Magne.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1369420760' post='2089175']
The diving would have to be pretty good in Harstad to beat Narvik, especially the wreck of the Hermann Kunne, which we dived on the stillest of sunny summers days. I loved my visit to Norway and would love to go back and do some more cold-water diving there.

Welcome Magne.
[/quote]

I'm not a diver myself, so I wouldn't know. But the water is so clear here that I guess it would be awesome to do that. I'm glad you got to experience the beautiful summer. It's been just like that for the last two weeks. Even if we, some years, only have 3 days of summer in the three summer months, it's still those days that makes it worth living here. :)

• 2 weeks later...