Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Contour 500 Combos

lou24d53

OK, so I got the 2x10 version of this on Monday.. Initial thoughts were "hmmmm".

Took it home, put gain, volume, and all eq flat (12 o clock) and notched the master volume up to an acceptable level (not even 4 clicks round), and it sounded OK. A quick mess with the EQ made it sound a bit better, but not much. Tried the tweeter switch in the on, off and -6db and could tell the difference.

Cranked the gain up to distort slightly, and you do get a nice warmish tube type sound - but all the way might be a bit much if you're using a pick.

I took the speakon out of the back of it, and plugged my headphones in (custom built with extra bass response) and I didnt like the sound I got - No matter what the gain/volume/master/eq was set at, I couldnt get rid of that bassy fuzzy clicky sound you sometimes get with some cheap headphones (mine werent cheap, but appreciate it could be the headphones rather than the amp).

The best thing about this is the contour knob - it does make a subtle difference to your sound.

Well, actually, no - the best thing about this amp is using it live. Took it to a gig last night.

Gain was about 11, Volume about 2, Contour knob about 10, EQ flat, and Master Volume at about 9. I turned the tweeter off. I use a Squier VM Jazz Bass, newly strung for this particular gig.

I tell you what - this thing shook me from the 1st note to the last note - i alternate between fingers and pick throughout the set (pub rock covers) and this thing really got me moving. Clarity was fantastic (we play Life in the Fast Lane by The Eagles, and you could hear the "ghost notes" as i was hitting muted strings), volume was superb, plenty of headroom - and as i was initially messing with the amp, i cranked the gain up with the volume, and you get this lovely crunchy tube sound.

I could have done with a bit more top end, but now i know what its like with a flat eq, and no tweeter, I can custom my sound from there.

This is a great amp, and I would recommend buying it if you are looking for something lightweight and loud.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 here.

I went for the Contour 1x15 combo and 2x10 ext (I know, not the accepted combination), but it's incredible!!! Rich, deep and natural sounding and so much flexibility with the contour control and superb active eq. I love it.

Drew

Edited by Hoppo75