Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Contour 500 Combos

lou24d53

After a number of weeks looking into a variety of combo options and trying to work out how much I can afford to pay out, I think I've finally decided I'm going to fork out for one of the Genz Benz Contour 500 combos, but I, not entirely sure what one I would prefer.

This is probably a pretty obvious question I'm about to ask, but what would be preferable model, 1 x 15" or 2 x 10"?
In other words, what's the pros and cons of each?

I'm going to be playing in a function covers band, playing everything from modern pop, classic rock, Motown etc, all sorts really.

Ta much!

Both equally powered, both approx same weight, same eq - this is going to be a case of whichever one your ears prefer. 300 watts into either a 1x15 or 2x10 should be plenty for the music quoted, so whichever suits playing style better. For a more prominent, punchy & in the mix bassist, I`d probably look at the 210, if more a hold the low-end/in the pocket with the drummer, the 115. I`d probably expect the 210 to have a bit more versatility, but with amps these days it`s difficult to tell.

Having only joined a month ago, it's still very early days in the band I'm playing with and as much as it was [b]extremely [/b]tempting to over-GAS and spend a fair bit more than I really need to at this stage, I've decided to see sense and go for the 2x10 combo option.

I had also been looking at seperate options from GB, GK and Hartke which would have meant me needing to spend at least twice - possibly three times - as much as the GB combo costs. Like I said, was extremely tempting, but head ruled the heart as I've still got £600 to pay off for my Sadowsky I bought in December. Don't really need to be taking on more debt at this point!!!

The cheapest I've found the CTR500-210T was on GAK, at £369.00, so I'm going to go for that option for now giving me 300w to run with to start off and if I feel I need more, I'll add on a 1x15 extension at a later date.

Nice one, 300 watts into a 210 should be enough for most gigs. Re ext cab, the 210 would be good as this way you won`t need to change eq when the cab is added in, whereas with the 115 that is more likely.

Having said that, and despite lots of technical reasons to not do so, a pairing of 210 & 115 always sounds good to me.

I bought a Contour 500 210 to replace an Ashdown ABM300. Not gigged it yet but even at home I can tell the difference. I'm not worried about needing an extension cab anytime soon !
My other advice would be to spend a little more and buy it from Bass Direct, you will get a better service if that matters to you. GAK are just box shifters.

Me: "Can I please request a Saturday delivery to ensure I will be in to collect?"

GAK: "Sure, not a problem...erm, by the way, we're out of stock, and it won't be back in for 3-5 working days".

Me: "Can you give me a stock update and date for delivery please?"

GAK: "Being packaged up for delivery today will be with you tomorrow (Friday)".

Me: "Aaaarrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!" :angry:

Early days with mine as I only picked it up Monday and have only used it at home as a practice amp, so I've not had the chance to crank it up yet.

Certainly impressed with what I'm hearing so far, clear top end - I'm running with the tweeter on just now - clear mids and big bassy bottom end. Would need to try it out in a live setting to give you a more comprehensive review, but bearing in mind the price of these, mines was under £370 for the 210T, I would certainly suggest checking them out.

I took a chance and bought mine only after reading reviews online as I couldn't find a stockist nearby to try mines out first, but worthwhile if you have anywhere near you to check it out.

There's also a couple of (very short) youtube clips I found on it.

Anyone out there know where these are manufactured? At the price point I'm guessing China, no that it make a massive difference if the QC is decent.

I'm seriously considering a 210 to replace my Lowdown, but just can't help wondering what the catch is with this combo at this price? Anyone have any thoughts?

Also wondering about the tweeter; is it relatively simple to turn it down/off as needed? I can't seem to find anything in the maual that's available online.

cheers

Certainly not had any QC issues with mine to date, although granted it is still early days.
Says on the back, "Designed in the USA. Assembled in Taiwan."
There is a three way switch on the back of the unit for the tweeter - On, Off or -6dB.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1371071846' post='2109585']
Gigging mine next Friday for first time so I'll update here afterwards :)=
[/quote]

Very interested in your opinions

Gig complete ! It was great. The lightweight meant I had had the combo in one hand and my hard case in the other, only one trip from car !

I was severely limited on setup time due to the other band on bringing too much stuff and impacting our sound check (we had barely 2 min) so I didn't get chance to play the EQ. So I ran flat and just cranked it. It coped well and I had to run to at about 6/10 master volume with the preamp not clipping at all. I could have had the master a lot lower if I'd allowed a slightly overdriven sound. I wanted to try out the parametric mid control but maybe next time.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I bought the 210 after my Ashdown blew a power transistor. What an amp !
Very punchy and sounds fantastic (even before I adjusted the equaliser !)
Would agree with other members and order through Bass Direct. Exceptional service and cheaper than anywhere (I paid £319 with FREE shipping !)

Edited by Jakeywoo