Why become a member? ×

Is my master loud enough? OPINIONS PLEASE :)

MaGrOtTeN

Hi all ...

I'm still unsure about the loudness of my masters and am looking for some opinions.

Style of music is electronic / ambient with a bit of classical, techno and jazz in there.

Would really love to have your feedback - [url="http://www.vaast.co.uk"]www.vaast.co.uk[/url]

:)

Dont do that - please.

To put it into perspective its louder than TPower's Self Evident Truth, and thats not as ambient, was released in the 90's and was always "loud enough".

If you squash it much more you'll lose as much as you gain in all probability - depending on the skill of the engineer, the room he is in and his kit. All of which would need to be top notch not to do noticeable damage in my opinion.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1369322782' post='2087811']
Dont do that - please.

To put it into perspective its louder than TPower's Self Evident Truth, and thats not as ambient, was released in the 90's and was always "loud enough".

If you squash it much more you'll lose as much as you gain in all probability - depending on the skill of the engineer, the room he is in and his kit. All of which would need to be top notch not to do noticeable damage in my opinion.
[/quote]

Wise words I think!

I have actually limited this using Izotope Ozone ....although hopefully that isn't noticeable.

It can be really difficult with this kind of music to get it right.... there's a lot of reverb and it doesn't like being squashed very much..... plus I don't have too much experience as I have only begun producing electronica... which is why it really helps me to get feedback.

It looks loud but it worries me slightly that it doesn't sound as loud as it looks...

Edited by MaGrOtTeN

It's easy to get dragged into this.

We just had our new album mastered by Jon Astley - pretty much re-mastered every big band - Led Zep Remasters, The Who, Rolling Stones. You name it he'll probably have done it.

We agreed that the loudness war is killing music and we decided to master our rock album to early 90s level. I'm more than happy that we managed to retain our dynamics even if the album is quieter than modern stuff, who cares! This hugely loud stuff has no dynamics and is tiring to listen to. Everybody has a volume control on their stereo and can turn it up if it's not loud enough.

For what it's worth, this is the volume that he recommended, and who were we to disagree ;)

http://300ftgorilla.bandcamp.com/track/twilights-blind-2

• 2 weeks later...