Why become a member? ×

Best value 300w 1x12 cab?

sblueplanet

In my current quest to downsize to a portable rig that Im also able to lift and carry I have decided on a micro amp such as GK, Eden etc.
However, my knowledge of small cabs is limited and I would be interested to read what 1x12 cabs other basschatters have chosen and why?

Budget will come into the mix of course but at the moment Im interested in 1x12 users' opinions.

I have the Markbass NY121 1x12 cab, as it matches the speaker in my Markbass combo, for when I need a bit more presence. Great speaker, really light, adjustable h/f horn/tweeter. And goes loud too. The combo on its own (same speaker remember) is enough for most places.

GK Neo range cabs are awesome. Weirdly I've owned a 2x10 and a 1x15 but not the 1x12! Probably not as well built or as road-proof as, say, Aguilar, TC or Vanderkley etc, but for the money they're great cabs. Ultra light, ultra compact, they look good and as long as you don't make a habit of throwing them down the stairs all the time they'll last.

Truckstop

Genz Benz Focus 112 cabs get very good reviews and don't cost much at BassDirect. Two of those should sound fine.

A Barefaced Compact would sound great and only weighs 26lbs.

I'd be looking at Aguilar or Bergantino, but they are in another price bracket.

big thumbs up for the midget from me, one on it's own is a wonderfully punchy cab and light as a feather. they're not cheap though and the waiting list is growing by the day, but i'm totally in love with the sound and the weight (9kg)

Matt

I love my TC electronics RS112, very light can easily be carried one handed. Very small foot-print. Adjustable HF horn. Sounds really good with my TC head and IMO very loud. Oh n its 8 ohm so you can use it with another cab. Its not the cheapest but I still think there very good value for money and will get another when funds allow. I love trying different amps n basses but nothing I have tried since buying this rig has come close, have had the cab a year n the head for about 7 months.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1369312739' post='2087613']
I have the Markbass NY121 1x12 cab, as it matches the speaker in my Markbass combo, for when I need a bit more presence. Great speaker, really light, adjustable h/f horn/tweeter. And goes loud too. The combo on its own (same speaker remember) is enough for most places.
[/quote]

This. If budget allows, the only way is Markbass.

As you should have noted by now you'll get just about as many opinions as you do responses. BTW, assuming what matters as much as anything else to you is actual output capability, that has nothing to do with the power rating, and everything to do with the driver cone displacement, T/S spec Vd. That's what you should be looking for. Unfortunately, only Barefaced tells you what the displacement is for their drivers. If you can find out what drivers are in other cabs you can search it down, but most won't tell you. As to how critical displacement is, doubling displacement gives 6dB of additional output capability, which is the equivalent of quadrupling the power.
http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information.htm

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1369318829' post='2087714']
big thumbs up for the midget from me, one on it's own is a wonderfully punchy cab and light as a feather. they're not cheap though and the waiting list is growing by the day, but i'm totally in love with the sound and the weight (9kg)

Matt
[/quote]

+1000

Doesn't feel like a compromise in any way, in spite of the weight / size.

I reckon Barefaced cabs are at the pricey end of the small cab market if they are hand-built. Is there an official website?

The Eden EX-112 looks compact but Im not reading anyone recommending it.

I remember someone having a Hartke 4x10 that I liked the sound of but I def want to get a single 12". I have an Ampeg 2x10 but miss the bottom I can get from my old but tonne-weight Acoustic combo with 15" ported cab. I think the 12" should be an adequate and portable substitute.

In terms of volume produced, I had no idea about displacement etc. Will leave that to the experts but all advice is good advice. As said before, cost will decide the eventual choice but hopefully from this discussion and fellow opinions it will be an informed one.

You wont get a 410 sound out of a 112...
It wouldn't be a given with a 212, IME... so you are going to have to accept sound compromises
with a 112 cab.
What the 410 will do effortlessy will be hard work for the 112..but if you can reconcile yourself
with that....then ok.

People may tell you they gig with a 112 with no problems but only you'll know whether that is possible in your circumstances.
I run a pr of decent 112's and they are still some way behind my 2x210's.
The carry is the only reason I keep them and that may be the only reason it works for most..
and that is ok... but don't think it is an easy swap.. IME/IMO

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1369411641' post='2089020']
I reckon Barefaced cabs are at the pricey end of the small cab market if they are hand-built. Is there an official website?
[/quote]

[url="http://www.barefacedbass.com/"]http://www.barefacedbass.com/[/url]

there is an official website for Barefaced, the Head honcho Alex is a member on here,

http://barefacedbass.com/

the best recommendation i could make is to give him a call and discuss your needs with him, he managed to pair me up with my perfect cabs (i had no idea which ones to go for and am incredibly pleased with what i ended up with)

I'm guessing you're in Scotland, it might be worth asking if there are any barefaced owners near you that would let you try the cabs, if you're near Newcastle upon Tyne you'd be welcome to try my midgets.

Matt

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1369415873' post='2089091']
You wont get a 410 sound out of a 112...
[/quote]You may get more. An Orange OBC 410 is loaded with Eminence Beta 10 drivers, with a total displacement of 408cc. A barefaced Big Baby has 496cc. But it does use a midrange driver, so unlike a 410 you won't get comb filtering and a very small midrange dispersion angle, if you're into that.

Well, I used my new Hartke HX112s at a gig last night, and was pleasantly surprised by how good they were. The guitarist in the band said that when he stood out front, the 112s sounded much punchier and less muddier than my usual 4.5XL in the same venue, and that was using my using settings on my Sansamp RPM and my Burner. Having the high frequency compression driver in there definitely helps with the punchiness, though I only had one in one cab turned on, so next time I'll try them both.

And of course, the load in and out was much speedier and less painful! :D

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1369316726' post='2087686']
Barefaced Midget?
[/quote]

Or even a compact, since its no heavier that most 1x12's and it will destroy them for power, efficiency, low end extension etc.

Edited by bassman7755