Why become a member? ×

Can't get gigs!

Low End Bee

The gigs have dried up. We signed up with a promo company last Decemmber who exploded in a collision of incompetence and empty promises that's put us behind a bit.
Despite having a cracking last couple of gigs with healthy turn outs we can't seem to get anything in the diary. We've got a couple to finalise in October and November but that feels a long way off.
Nothing available at our regular haunts until autumn either.
If you want the Jetsonics to support/share a gig with your band or have any ideas who would have a loveable power pop punk trio let me know.
It's a bit frustrating when we're on good form. :(

We book all ours too. The 'promoter' managed to get us one three men and a dog disaster and we parted company just before they folded.
To be fair the drummers been away on work a lot and we had to turn three down in Feb & March but he's free now and we're kicking our heels.

Why have all the venues dried up over the past few years?
We used to have some cracking places that were always packed out.
The only thing I can suggest is arranging your own gigs. Find a function room with a bar to hire, promote it yourself and sell the tickets.

[quote name='danthevan' timestamp='1369140873' post='2085296']
The only thing I can suggest is arranging your own gigs. Find a function room with a bar to hire, promote it yourself and sell the tickets.
[/quote]

I did this for the last one and arrange two or three a year like this. It's a lot of work and I haven't got the time and energy to arrange one for the every 3-4 weeks we'd like to play though.

Covers or originals..??

I don't think there is much excuse if you play covers...well, certainly not round here...
The originals do less well but then they are pushing the wrong thing..as in metal acts, typically,
and they can't get anyone to attend their self promoted gigs.
I don't think they are getting the message as they seem to berate the venues for not promoting
when it should really be a two-way street...

If a power pop/punk trio had good catchy songs, then I would think they could price themselves into a few gigs
but they would have to be convincing on the phone.
Thursday night is demo night round here...and many bands use it as an EP launch date or some such and one or two music fan LL's will give them a
chance to convince. If they pass this sort of audition, he will give them a date...but they may be up against 'proven' cover draws..!!

I've had this debate recently and was accused of not knowing what original bands go thru... well, we have all done the London trawl
and I doubt they have rewritten that book..
It is ALL about getting a date and getting numbers in... that is it.
Nobody says it is easy, tho...

That's all true JT.

We've kind of paid our dues though. We're an originals (possibly slightly plagiaristic) band. We don't play 'difficult' music and have some catchy tunes. We get decent numbers in who buy beer. We've played with some of the big boys and held our own and we put on a good show. Trouble is our regular haunts are booked up or want us to do the full 'get the bands together, promote it and do the logistics' nights which you can only do so many times a year on top of normal life. Our home patch is very sparse for venues these days too as Clarky will vouch for. We're not just competing with local bands for slots as any part of London attracts them from all over. We like getting paid which thankfully happens 95% of the time but we take each gig on merit and need to keep our match fitness up at the moment.

Seems like you are doing well with the project then.
It is interesting to hear about the music scene in other parts of the country so I think we must be
quite lucky down here. Don't want to go overboard on that as there are still too many bands per venue
but then that is probably a geedy muso POV...i,e nine..:lol: as I want the rates to go up
and there are plenty of acts who work cheap.. so don't need more :lol:
I am not entirely unsympathetic in how a bands gets gigs..and we have all been through that, but
I am a firm believer in getting paid...particualy as a band will pretty much determine the success of the event,
and certainly more than bar staff...who WILL be paid.

The one things that we have found is that certain pubs are more open to 'alternative music' and I know the
LL's are music fans. They don't want to make a loss..and tbf, I don't believe they do most of the time,
but they are to be applauded for giving bands a chance.
The LL might have a 3 band bill..which they sort amongst themselves with gear share or however
but they understand that the only real thing that matters is that it is NOT a complete waste of time.

If the bands play ball... they wil get a date... altho it is fair to say that a known Covers will likley get
offered the dates before the deserving Originals... but it seems healthy enough.

Of course, thurs night is a 'down' night these days for a reason..it is tough to get people out on
workdates, these days. That much has changed these last few years.

London will compound the problem if only on the numbers front.. more bands, less punters, I'd guess
but we find the money far better once you get IN ...

If a covers band is charging £400 they are getting very close to having a door price..IMO

[quote name='danthevan' timestamp='1369140873' post='2085296']
Why have all the venues dried up over the past few years?
We used to have some cracking places that were always packed out.
[/quote]

I completely agree. I'm not sure about lack of venues either. On the contrary, it seems to me that in a time of austerity landlords have to try a lot harder to get people in through the door, and that includes putting live music on.

[quote name='Oneandfive' timestamp='1369386941' post='2088559']
I completely agree. I'm not sure about lack of venues either. On the contrary, it seems to me that in a time of austerity landlords have to try a lot harder to get people in through the door, and that includes putting live music on.
[/quote]

We've enjoyed the pub gigs we've done in the past and I'm sure we'll do some again in the future. I've been spoilt though.
I like a stage and a decent in house PA these days.
Plus 'originals' bands seem to put the wind up landlords for some reason. Their numbers = selling beer logic goes right out the window when confronted with the unknown.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1369387801' post='2088573']
'originals' bands seem to put the wind up landlords for some reason. Their numbers = selling beer logic goes right out the window when confronted with the unknown.
[/quote]

Very true, that's why we mostly have to travel up to London or down to Brighton. Plenty of music pubs around but the all want covers round here (which I've done before and may well again) or blues-rock if they must have originals.

You can't really blame the venue with playing it their way as they have to pay the bills and the whole game
is getting harder in terms of covering higher rent and rates etc.

One of the best supporters of the Live music scene round seem to have quite a high turnover of 'managers'
so good for bands in tersm of pubs/clubs putting on music but bad for the LL....

The very vocal but unsupported metal scene here complain that they can't get gigs and even the ones they put on themselves
sound like a real struggle...
It isn't my thing but I've been to a couple... but this clique makes a huge noise about supporting the live music scene...but
you don't tend to see them out and about at anything but their own events.

If they were more visible at all types of dates maybe the favour would be returned more readily.... but you prorbably couldn't get
a more collective insular bunch...

It is the same with promoting.... people will do loads of work in local blogs and whats-on event diary magazines but they only cover what their particular bent is... You'd think no other music existed... :lol;
but the music public out supports the covers scene by .... well, pick a figure... 50-1...????

Tis a funny old hobby-horse..

with original stuff it is very dificult, as so many 'original's ' sound the same , if the sound isn't spot on then the distinction between lots of them is lost and even the genre gets confused in noise.

when you have turned down gigs from an availability viewpoint , it is even harder to get another offfer , and without regular gigs the following will diminish .

colleges and student bars are probably the best port of call as they will often have a clientele that wants to hear something fresh and lively .