Why become a member? ×

"How too" TC RH450 replacing the memory buttons and rotary knob's guide.

big rob

Hi all,
Well i bit the bullet and opened up the RH450 to carry out the repairs and guess what, it was a real nightmare...... no not really it was really easy to do, here are some photos and a guide, i hope it helps anyone trying to do the same:

Tools required:
Allen key set
Torx bit set (got mine from screw fix £5.99)
Screw driver (pozi drive small)

1: First you need to remove the 3 torx bit screws on the top and the bottom of the unit. you also need to remove the rotary knobs from the front, these simple pull off, just pull square and with medium force to remove, i did not need to wobble them.
[attachment=134971:IMG_0425.JPG]

2: Then you need to remove the screws on the bottom of the unit (all of them), you will also need to remove the sticker as one is hiding under it, you do not need to remove the feet these can stay where they are.
[attachment=134972:IMG_0424.JPG]

3: You can now slide the casing off to the left, do this gently as the plastic front control panel sits in a channel on the casting.
[attachment=134973:IMG_0422.JPG]

4: You now need to remove the 2 allen key bolts in the black metal vented section on the right.
[attachment=134974:IMG_0423.JPG]
[attachment=134975:IMG_0414.JPG]

5: Now the front plastic panel can be removed.
[attachment=134976:IMG_0415.JPG]
[attachment=134977:IMG_0416.JPG]

6: The Memory buttons and shift buttons can be pulled off very easy and replaced now.
[attachment=134978:IMG_0419.JPG]
[attachment=134979:IMG_0420.JPG]

7: Once replaced put front panel back on, it is not glued in any way so easy to remove and replace. Then refit the black vented metal section and then refit the main casing and refit all of the screws removed.
[attachment=134980:IMG_0421.JPG]
[attachment=134981:IMG_0422.JPG]

8: The last thing to do is just push on the replacement Knobs, if yours were not broken like mine to start with then you can refit the ones you pulled off at the start, if you were careful they will not have broken.
[attachment=134982:IMG_0426.JPG]

There we go good as new and only took 30 mins start to finish.

[attachment=134984:IMG_0428.JPG]

Hope this helps

Big Rob

Edited by big rob

• 5 months later...

Great thread. I took my RH450 head out today to rehearsal (Not used it for a few months) I noticed that the control knobs were falling off, three of them anyway. When I looked inside the knobs I noticed the little fins that grip the shaft of the potentiometer had broken and thus not gripping onto the shaft. I need to obtain some replacements from TC. Just wondering how long it will be before my buttons start showing signs of cracks and how easy it is to get new ones from TC ?? :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

[quote name='blunderthumbs' timestamp='1384711514' post='2279804']
Great thread. I took my RH450 head out today to rehearsal (Not used it for a few months) I noticed that the control knobs were falling off, three of them anyway. When I looked inside the knobs I noticed the little fins that grip the shaft of the potentiometer had broken and thus not gripping onto the shaft. I need to obtain some replacements from TC. Just wondering how long it will be before my buttons start showing signs of cracks and how easy it is to get new ones from TC ?? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I emailed TC and a set of knobs arrived 3 days later.

• 2 years later...

You got in just in time, 5 buttons will cost me 50+ GBP.

No TC direct contact any more, just 3rd party multi-brand company.

I made fins from a biro cap and superglued the pieces in. Nothing fussy. Blue tack would probably do it.

The buttons will have to stay as. 20 quid for 2 plastic buttons and an envelope - pfft.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest gazzatriumph
23 hours ago, big rob said:

I dont know why the photos have disappeared not sure I still have them, will try and find them 

Great info though,  thanks.