Why become a member? ×

My Alpher Instruments Bass - COMPLETE!

BassicLee

Hi all,

I’m in the process of putting together a custom build spec with the guys at Alpher Instruments, in Saltaire (Yorkshire).
So far I’ve chosen the woods, and hardware, but am now mulling over the mind-field that is electronics.
I’ve decided that I want to have as much flexibility with tone as possible, so I’m favouring active circuitry, with a passive switch.
Now comes the problem. What do I go for, pickup and pre-amp wise?
As standard, Alpher use John East pre-amps, and Wizard pickups. Not a bad start.

What do you guys recommend, though? It’d be good to get some opinions. J

Here is the spec, so far:

Body wood: Swamp Ash (1-piece)
Neck wood: Wenge (1-piece, quarter-sawn)
Fingerboard: Madagascan Rosewood
Top wood: Highly figured spalted maple
Body Veneer: Wenge
Bridge: Hipshot Mono-rail (19mm spacing, 4 string)
Tuners: Hipshot U-Lite tuners, with D-tuner
Scale: 34 inch
Jack: Neutrik Locking Jack

I'll try and keep you all updated with the process, once it all begins, I'm off to meet the guys at Alpher in a couple of weeks to put the finishing touches to the spec, and get things rolling! :)

Cheers!

Edited by BassicLee

I've just started my build with Alpher Instruments, it's extremely exciting isn't it? :)

I opted for the John East simply based on two things. The first being that it is an extremely good preamp and is very versatile. The second being that nothing is permanent! It can take more than just a few minutes to decide that you prefer a certain preamp, so I was happy with it knowing that if I really had experience with another preamp that I preferred, I could switch it. I have no doubt though that it will do what I want it to do.

I opted for two humbuckers because I prefer humbuckers! It's as simple as that. Wizard pickups are rather sought after and quite rare on the second-hand market, that's all I know about them, but it speaks volumes to me!

Cheers Jellyfish. You'll have to keep me updated on your build, too. :)
I'm going to try and get and play some basses with East pre-amps in. I've had a look at some YouTube videos, but they don't really tell you enough. I'm not sure what type of pickups to go for. I quite like the idea behind the combo set that Wizard do, again with the view to keeping plenty of options for different styles of music. I didn't realise they were quite so sought after.
Can't wait to get this project started properly, and then to see it all come together. Exciting stuff!

• 3 months later...

Finally getting myself sorted and uploading some pictures of the bass that Alpher Instruments are building for me!
Really pleased with the progress so far, here are a few snaps...

[attachment=143280:970501_407867312666881_723787055_n.jpg][attachment=143281:1238071_421396117980667_2057624676_n.jpg][attachment=143282:965212_10151443714721814_1779418760_o.jpg]

Thanks guys. As soon as I saw the top wood, it sealed the deal on getting a custom bass build. Alpher Instruments have just about finished another bass, ebony top, swamp ask body, ebony neck and board. It looks incredible. I recommend checking out the photos on Facebook and Instagram, if you haven't already seen it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update..
The guys at Alpher have been speaking to a laser cutting company about the inlay for my fretboard, so hopefully that will be going ahead soon.
In the meantime, they have sent me this shot of the headstock. The insert wood is from the same cut of spalted maple that makes the top of the bass body.

[attachment=146181:Headstock.jpeg]

• 1 month later...

Morning all..
Quick update on my build with Alpher.
The fretboard is now going to be macassar ebony, as we though the rosewood board that I had originally specced wasn't quite right, lovely as it was.
So, attached photos show the new board, slotted and glued to the neck. There will be side dot markers in white, but nothing on the face. I had originally looked at having an inlay done, but now it'll just be clean. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1388755140' post='2325621']
Alpher really do seem to be putting out some good stuff :)
[/quote]

Definitely. Had to believe that they've been going for such a short amount of time. Everything I've seen them build so far has been incredible.

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1388781379' post='2326088']
When I went to pick up my lovely Alpher bass, Chris showed me your body. It's amazing the work that goes into sanding and filling the wood just to make it useable. Looks like it's going to be a stunning bass. :)
[/quote]

I wish I lived closer to be able to pop in! Your new bass looks awesome. Part of a very exclusive club! :)