Why become a member? ×

Orange bass terror

bassmachine2112

Hiho,
Going to purchase one of these on saturday.
I,m getting the 500 watt head and a 2x12 matching cab-the isobaric one.
Just wondering if they are reliable cause I gig twice a week.
Of course the usual do they sound good and are they loud.
I,ve heard the DI is a bit hot ,
Any experiences would be good.
Cheers

Never had any problems with mine. Apparently they sorted the DI issue with more recent models, but if not you can always tame it with an in-line XLR attenuator, basically an XLR plug with resistors in it to cut the volume.

They do sound good and they are very loud, but that cab isn't very efficient (i.e. at converting watts to volume). They say in speaker design, you can pick any two from size, low-end extension and efficiency - and Orange designed this with the first two in mind. Still should be plenty loud enough for the majority of gigs though!

ive got the 1000 watt head and it sounds awesome! the only dif with mine will be clean headroom i guess they are silly loud, as long as you dnt go abusing the head ie use the selector switch for the ohms and dnt knock it around.

the only thing ive heard is the bulb going which isnt a biggy

they are awesome amps

andy

I had one, first one I owned had a problem cutting out, it got sent back to Orange and they replaced it. The new one seemed fine but the bulb did go on that one. Good amps though if you want the signature orange bass sound, very low mids, deep bass. The 500 watter was more than enough for me. Hope you enjoy yours when you get it.

I've never had any problem with mine (touch wood) and I've had it over 2 years now, also have the sp212 which I used with a 1x15 and had no complaints about. Since I've had my Dubster I don't use the old cab set up though as the Terror through the Dubster is ridiculously loud.

Great little amp with volume that defies its size. The Di has been sorted now but is post eq with no option to select pre eq. Love the grit and snarl, bit of a one trick pony but does its trick brilliantly!
The ability to drive an 8 ohm cab at full wattage is great as well. I have no personal experience of the cabs, have been told they are ok but not really in the same league as Bergs, Vanderkleys, Baers etc.
I found customer service at Orange to be exceptional by the way!

I have the BT1000 and it is very loud through my Barefaced Super 12, I don't think I'll ever worry about volume! Sounds like a beast!

DI seems fine on mine but I got it new at the end of last year, I changed the valves out as you'll see my review of the new valves in the revalving the amp thread in repairs and technical :) would advise doing the swap out.

No experiance with those cabs unfortunately!

Edited by OBT1000_S12

Mine's done two years and about 120 shows. It's been totally reliable so far.

I'll echo others' feelings on the SP212... I think you could do better. The amp I'd recommend 100% (though I add a pre for finer EQ control).

The Bass Gear review was pretty good, check out their flat EQ settings info.

[url="http://btpub.boyd-printing.com/publication/?i=76122"]http://btpub.boyd-pr...cation/?i=76122[/url]

Edited by KK Jale

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1368728161' post='2080847']
Best amp I;ve ever owned and I've owned Ampeg all valve beasts, the DI is a little hot but you can get an attenuator for a few quid, I'm not a fan of the little isobaric cab though, I much prefer the TC RS210t
[/quote]

Is the TC RS210 the only cab you use with it? If so, is it very loud?
I'm looking for a lightweight and loud 2x10 myself

I had both the amp and cab. Couldn't really fault the amp once I got an attenuator for the DI. Only gripe is the lack of flexibility in the eq but the basic tone is excellent. No reliability issues and incredibly loud. Cab less impressive. I'd only recommend if space is a problem as they are very compact. However they are quite heavy, top end is a bit shy and it grumbled a bit when I pushed it - despite the power rating (not an expert but I guess thats down to the size of the thing).

I had a play through a terror bass 1000 and the isobaric cab at the weekend.
I didn't rate the cab playing at shop volumes. Lacked clarity, and was a bit muddy in the low mids.
A/B'd it against a Hydrive 112 (as these were the only cabs in the shop), and the Hydrive sounded much better.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1368744204' post='2081134']
Mine's been going strong as my only rig for about 3yrs & I use it with the SP210 Orange cab. I get a lot of positive comments about the tone
[/quote]

Yep, having heard this rig, it is very nice sounding indeed.

I watched the review on guitar interactive and I was impressed.
I have a line 6 bass pod,hartke bass attack and a bdi21 so pre is no problem if needed
I,ll be playing a Rick,Thunderbird and a Musicman through this so should do the buisness.
Cab/cabs I will try out what they have tomorrow and have room to change my mind on this one but the small size is a winner with me.
I do have PA support when gigging so insanely loud is fine as I don,t think I will be needing stupid loud yet,mind you another cab could sort that if I,ve got any hearing left.
This is scary spending all this money but you need the tools for the job-keep repeating as needed.
Thanks to all for input,you are a good bunch.
pics and review after saturdays gig will be forthcoming and I think I,ll be grinning like a buffoon or looking for another band
Just had a thought -they will hear all my jazz notes now.
I have done the ampeg thing with the 8x10 and have lovely tendonitis to remind me of the old girl.
Right I,ll get off the now cause I,m starting to write a book.
I,m not even spending my own money cause me misses is getting it for me.
It looks like I,ll have to perform twice on saturday :gas: Happy days

I had one for a couple of years, and it was great. I had the Iso 2x10 and it sounded amazing, have also played the same amp with 2x12s and didn't notice a huge difference. Always found it very reliable and had a lot of people snigger when I walked in with it until they heard how huge it could sound.

Oh and did I mention, definitely a bit of a one-trick pony, but it's a good trick!

I think I would always go for 2 1x12s though, so you can get them up higher.

But if that's not an issue their cabs are great value, especially used.