Why become a member? ×

Bergantino CN212 vs Genz Benz NX2-212T vs BF Super 12T

tonyf

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1368788342' post='2081462']
Well I used the CN212 in anger last night.

Logistically it was excellent. It was as easy to lift straight in and out of the car and a lot easier than the AE212 I once owned. I trundled it into the venue on my trolley and plonked it down on the Gramma pad.

The venue was not somewhere to play around during set-up so I had to make do with some minor tweaks on the Schroeder settings. It was loud and punchy and cut through well according to a friend in the audience. It was neither the place nor was there the opportunity to fine tune things as our keyboard player didn't show and we had to re-arrange things on the fly, but we got away with it. One thing I did notice was that it accentuated the small amount of fret-buzz which was slightly disconcerting so turned the tweeter down a bit however it was not audible out front. I look forward to fine-tuning the sound over the coming weeks.
[/quote]

Looks amazing Dave. I so love that half rack you've got there too. Going have to invest in one.

T

Well, after all the emotional turmoil over how I was going to afford it, which one to get, I took a flier down a couple of junctions of the M40 to Bass Direct.

Took my basses. Plugged in. Fell in love. Brought one.

SOOOOOOOO can't wait for rehearsal on Sunday night and then a gig next weekend.

So chuffed.

:-)

Edited by tonyf

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1368805027' post='2081796']
I so love that half rack you've got there too. Going have to invest in one.

[/quote]

It's not exactly a half rack as the GK Fusion is wider than that. I had it made to my design by Flightcase Warehouse. Some time ago I bought a Gator wireless system rack case which had four rack mount trays. I had the case made to take those and the overall case width was just wide enough for the Fusion which is mounted on spacers to the floor of the case using the original tapped holes for the feet. There's a hole in the side of the case for the fan. The half-rack units are a Boss Tu-50 tuner and a Boss graphic EQ which is in the Effects Loop.

I finally got a chance to try a CN212 at BassGear today in the new amp demo room - much better acoustics than the main showroom and you can play really loud :)

Stupidly I forgot to take my AE210 in with me to compare but I was able to run it against a pair of CN112's, HD112's, Aguilar SL112's' some very cool ATS cabs (combination of 10's and 12's) and a weighty Bag End 2x12.

To be honest the Baggie was my favourite but it's just too heavy for my ailing back these days :(

Of the others I'd say the CN212 was the best all round cab. Plenty of low end punch and very nice note definition and articulation.

Didn't have the mid growl the Aggies have when pushed clean but, using a TH500 or a MarkBass Big Bang, you could dial in some of these mids to get close to the growl if required.

Very nice piece of kit indeed. I must get my 210 in ASAP before they are all sold!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1368640958' post='2079653']
Uncoloured / flat - can come across clinical.
[/quote]

To me, the rule of a good cabinet is that sh*t in = sh*t out, tone in = tone out. It's all well and good relying on the tone imprint of a cabinet to sound good until you're then DI'ing out of your amp to the FOH. You might sound great to yourself, but for all you know what the audience hear is sh*t (and if you find that your tone is a lackluster through a "clinical" cab that's probably the case). With a fairly balanced response from your cabinet, if you sound good on stage, you know that you sound good out front. And yes, it's definitely possible to sound good with a balanced cabinet. Sure, you could bring microphones into the equation, but then you'd have to pay a lot of money to get one that isn't going to impart its own frequency response upon the signal, and then it probably won't be suited for live purposes.

To me it gets to the point where you say 'how far do I go with this'.

If its a mid bumped cab (which is what I tend to go for, eg the Aguilar DB series) or any tone profile suited for a bass guitar, then just enjoy the damn thing and play it if it sounds great.

Everyone has recently become obsessed with a flat tone at 12 o'clock and a PA-like bass cab. To me, it doesn't matter. If it sounds great in the mix, I'm done...but it has to please me solo first.

Who would put 'sh*t in'?! I certainly wouldn't. It's very hard to get a totally rubbish bass tone unless its player error or a bass with electrical issues.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1368831736' post='2082192']
I finally got a chance to try a CN212 at BassGear today in the new amp demo room - much better acoustics than the main showroom and you can play really loud :)

Stupidly I forgot to take my AE210 in with me to compare but I was able to run it against a pair of CN112's, HD112's, Aguilar SL112's' some very cool ATS cabs (combination of 10's and 12's) and a weighty Bag End 2x12.

To be honest the Baggie was my favourite but it's just too heavy for my ailing back these days :(

Of the others I'd say the CN212 was the best all round cab. Plenty of low end punch and very nice note definition and articulation.

Didn't have the mid growl the Aggies have when pushed clean but, using a TH500 or a MarkBass Big Bang, you could dial in some of these mids to get close to the growl if required.

Very nice piece of kit indeed. I must get my 210 in ASAP before they are all sold!
[/quote]

How do the CN112, HD112 and the Aguilar SL112 compare? Thinking of perhaps grabbing one 112 now and adding another oner further down the road.

[quote name='lowerbassment' timestamp='1368871116' post='2082433']

How do the CN112, HD112 and the Aguilar SL112 compare? Thinking of perhaps grabbing one 112 now and adding another oner further down the road.
[/quote]

It was really interesting to compare them side by side.

The Aggie felt like it had the greatest low end punch with all the growl coming from low mids. My vote for older style rock, funk, grittier soul etc.

CN112 had lots of clarity and clean note definition. Approaching clinical proportions if run really clean with the tweeter right open. Had to dial the tweeter down to lose string noise. A visiting pro thought it too clinical for something like a function band where you want the bass to blend in nicely rather than kick out in the mix.

I didn't get as much time with the HD but initial thoughts were that it sounded like it needed bedding in and was a bit 'tight' straight out of the box. Seemed to be breaking up earliest at volume but I really don't think it was a fair test so need to spend some more time with it.

The ATS was a bit of a revelation. Single 12" speaker with a pair of 10" passive cones. Really clear and articulate without ever sounding harsh, even with the tweeter wound right open. Plenty of low end but all clean, clear and precise. Possibly a bit too clean for my ears but I was making sure that I played each cab with the same amp and without adjusting any tone controls. Could probably add some more low mids and cut high end a bit.

Basses used were a Fodera Monarch '86 and a nice custom P bass clone that the pro brought in. He also tried the Bergs with an EUB. Sounded nice but I think the Aggie would work best with it.

There's someone else going to test them all this morning so more reports next week!

Gigged my Genz NX2 212t tonight.
The drummer commented that the new cab was the best bit of the night hehe.
I'm super pleased with it. The rig was Warwick Thumb, SVT 7pro and the NX2. The cab has great bottom end with real girth and excellent definition. I'd agree with Ed in that it's not this all enveloping wall of fluff that overpowers everything else. The mids are really nice and punchy and every note pops out and a smooth clear top end. If anything there was slight lack of sparkle right at the very top end but that could be due to the very well worn in SIT Silencers on the Bass, they're almost like TI's.
On the amp the Bass was cut to about 11oclock, Mids at 800hz boosted to 2 oclock and Treble at about 2 oclock. No treble of bass boost on the buttons.

The best thing about was that I could hear it !! Being pretty deaf I've struggled to hear every waist height cab I've owned, these inc Tech 410's 212's, various 410's,and it was a big concern throwing £700 at a new cab but thankfully that wasn't the case with the NX2. I was wondering if I should have put the other £200 towards the Berg but hey.
Colour me happy.
B)

Edited by kennyrodg

Hey Al,
Yep, forgot to mention that. No aching back today either.....Bonus !
Fleetwood didn't smell so bad last night to honest, mind you, the tide was out :D
B)

Can't comment on the others, but I know my Streamliner 6 & BF S12T sounds marvellous for classic rock & prog and I'm expecting good results for the funky dep I have coming up. Review here -
[b] [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/206857-genz-benz-streamliner-600-barefaced-super-t/"]Genz Benz Streamliner 600 & Barefaced Super T[/url][/b]

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1368928352' post='2083178']
Gigged my Genz NX2 212t tonight.
The drummer commented that the new cab was the best bit of the night hehe.
I'm super pleased with it. The rig was Warwick Thumb, SVT 7pro and the NX2. The cab has great bottom end with real girth and excellent definition. I'd agree with Ed in that it's not this all enveloping wall of fluff that overpowers everything else. The mids are really nice and punchy and every note pops out and a smooth clear top end. If anything there was slight lack of sparkle right at the very top end but that could be due to the very well worn in SIT Silencers on the Bass, they're almost like TI's.
On the amp the Bass was cut to about 11oclock, Mids at 800hz boosted to 2 oclock and Treble at about 2 oclock. No treble of bass boost on the buttons.

The best thing about was that I could hear it !! Being pretty deaf I've struggled to hear every waist height cab I've owned, these inc Tech 410's 212's, various 410's,and it was a big concern throwing £700 at a new cab but thankfully that wasn't the case with the NX2. I was wondering if I should have put the other £200 towards the Berg but hey.
Colour me happy.
B)
[/quote]

Nice review!

Just wondering if these Genz Benz cabs will be a good match for an Aguilar DB750

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1369069518' post='2084517']
Perfect match is the DB cabs, of course.
There was a 410 here recently... but I run 2xDB210's and the sound is
awesome.
[/quote]

That was my cab :)
I liked the sound but the weight was too much....I'm looking for more lightweight cabs this time.

[quote name='lowerbassment' timestamp='1368873862' post='2082487']
Thanks molan for the detailed comparison - much appreciated! Sounds like a trip to Twyford to Bass Gear is on the cards.
[/quote]

Quick update from rainy Berkshire is that every single Aguilar SL and Bergantino HD has been sold!

We're still enjoying the CN's though. The pair of 112's is really growing on me.

I was running a '71 Jazz through a clean set TH500 today and this combination sounded really nice.

Someone else then put a Pedulla 5 into an Aphex Exciter and then the same head and cabs - with the Exciter punched it the rig sounded huge!