Why become a member? ×

Alternative to Ampeg SVT Stack

Gully35

Alright guys. I want to get an amp an cab that will get me somewhere in the ballpark of the ampeg stack. I need to transport it in my car so size and weight is an issue.
I looked at the SVT pro 7 and 4x10 HE cab but it is still pretty bulky and heavy.
What about a Gallien Krueger 700rbII or an Ashdown ABM evo III or little mark amp?
If I could get away with a 2x10cab that would be great!
I just bought a Vintage Microtubes to help along with achieving ampeg tones.

All suggestions are welcome!

I think Mr Foxens suggestions are as near to the sound you want, in a lightweight set-up, as you can get. Maybe hold on until the VT DI comes out, so that should you do gigs with FOH, and you`re ok with doing so, just DI to desk, and get your sound from the monitors - always helps to have this option, and saves carrying even the lightweight set-up recommended.

The Ampeg Micro VR is supposed to offer similar sounds to the VT Bass, and the SVT210AV cabs are like mini quarter SVT810s. Amp and cabs are light as a feather and pretty cheap too!

Should be plenty loud enough for pub gigs.

(random image from google, not mine)

Edited by dannybuoy

It's for playing weddings. I was just looking at a little mark iii and a tc electronics rs410 or 2 rs210.
I was hoping to use the vintage microtubes to make it sound a bit more ampeggy.
The SVT 410HE is heavier than the rs410.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1368295611' post='2075444']
The Ampeg Micro VR is supposed to offer similar sounds to the VT Bass, and the SVT210AV cabs are like mini quarter SVT810s. Amp and cabs are light as a feather and pretty cheap too!

Should be plenty loud enough for pub gigs.

(random image from google, not mine)

[/quote][quote name='barkin' timestamp='1368300517' post='2075526']

Why would adding a 2nd cab make it fart??
[/quote]

I did the two ampeg svt210 things for a while does the sound of the big 810 well on budget while saving weight and space.
If you have the time and spare cash is get the barefaced 69er as its supposed to clone the sound only with better performance and lighter and smaller.
As far as head or amp goes. Get your self either a GB shuttle or MB LMtube, the preamp tube is going to give you the harmonic distortion, the cb will give you the overall colour, and the microtubes will give you any drive you want.

Having played an SVT CL + 810 back in the day and also having done the Tech-21 VT Bass and power amp thing rather more recently, I'd go with Mr. Foxen's suggestion. The VT Bass is one of, if not THE best SVT sim out there. IMHO. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1368301122' post='2075538']

I did the two ampeg svt210 things for a while does the sound of the big 810 well on budget while saving weight and space.
If you have the time and spare cash is get the barefaced 69er as its supposed to clone the sound only with better performance and lighter and smaller.
As far as head or amp goes. Get your self either a GB shuttle or MB LMtube, the preamp tube is going to give you the harmonic distortion, the cb will give you the overall colour, and the microtubes will give you any drive you want.
[/quote]

Is the micro VR with 210av x 2No. Loud enough to cope with a drummer and 2 guitarists? That would be a good option If it was.
I'm kind of swaying towards a Markbass Little Mark iii.
I'm struggling to find 2 good quality 2x10 cabs to pair with it. Easier for me to move around than a 4x10. The markbass cabs seem to get bad press online, plus they are pretty expensive.

I think re Markbass cabs, the best time to be objective about them is when they are being used in a band situation. On their own I think they are a bit middy, and not deep enough sounding, but every time I`ve heard them, prior to buying I should point out, in a band I thought they sounded great. Which is why I went Markbass.

The 210AV cabs are great cabs, sound really nice, but being quite thin I don`t know how they`d hold out - if deep lows are your thing I wouldn`t expect them to be enough.

[quote name='Gully35' timestamp='1368302785' post='2075563']
I considered the VT bass, but I actually preferred the sound of the microtubes vintage; hence why I bought it. :-)
[/quote]

Ah yes, missed that earlier in the thread. D'oh.

Edited by discreet

I just wouldn't bother.

You'll never be able to properly replicate the sound you have in your head. The only reason I've ever used Ampeg gear is because it looks awesome and, yeah sounds good, but never really achieved what I wanted out of a bass rig.

Just go out there and try everything you can. Eventually you'll settle on something you like!

Why do you need a 'stack' anyway? Markbass combos sound great, weigh nothing and are furiously loud. If you need to go louder, the room should have a PA that you can plug into. Even the 1x15 conbos have a tiny footprint. And if you did want to expand there's a ready supply of second hand cabs floating about.

Truckstop

Not sure the Micro 210 cabs are upto a loud band, tbh...even paired up
I recently heard the rig thru an SG bass so you would expect the sound to be anti clean... :lol: :lol:
but instead it didn't sound like it was handling it at all well and well beyond an OD sound.
I'd say it was struggling..tbh.

Quite liked the Portaflex cabs at low volume tho...
if they amped up better then I'd suggest that as a good combination.
Never been a fan of Ampeg cabs, traditionally but I have a few friends who like
the HLF..as heavy as it is.

As for good 2x10 cabs I can recommend the TC Electronic RS210's. Nice, tall stack, not too heavy, very sensitive (ie. loud for the wattage in), and ample bottom end for virtually anyone.

You've made a good choice with the Darkglass, it's a complete class above the VT bass IMHO and, yes, I have owned both.

To be honest, since I used an Ampeg rig back in the day I've been trying to replicate 'that' sound. Various sims and pedals can get you very close, but there's nothing like the visceral experience of a real fridge behind you.

I've kind of accepted that if I want that sound again the only way to get it is to buy (and haul) another Ampeg rig. :)

Yeah I seen those rs210's. I was interested in them. The rs410's are really cheap at the minute, but I think 2 rs210's would be a easy to lug around and get in my Peugeot 308.

I preferred the sound of the vintage microtubes. I was going to wait and get a VT bass DI until I heard the microtubes, so bought it and a radial J48 instead!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1368371020' post='2076182']
I just wouldn't bother.

You'll never be able to properly replicate the sound you have in your head. The only reason I've ever used Ampeg gear is because it looks awesome and, yeah sounds good, but never really achieved what I wanted out of a bass rig.

Just go out there and try everything you can. Eventually you'll settle on something you like!

Why do you need a 'stack' anyway? Markbass combos sound great, weigh nothing and are furiously loud. If you need to go louder, the room should have a PA that you can plug into. Even the 1x15 conbos have a tiny footprint. And if you did want to expand there's a ready supply of second hand cabs floating about.

Truckstop
[/quote]

I always loved the sound of Tim Slades jazz through his Ampeg SVT stack when we played gigs with Mohair.
I guess the SVT 7 pro and HE410 would kind of get me there but it's still pretty big and heavy!

• 2 weeks later...

LMIII and BF Super 15. Doesn't get a lot more vintage than that, especially with a Precision. Add in your favourite VT sim and Robert is your mother's brother.
Weight of entire stack - 56lb. However, the cab is still a 2x15 when all is said and done, so is bulky.

[quote name='Gully35' timestamp='1368362713' post='2076064']

Is the micro VR with 210av x 2No. Loud enough to cope with a drummer and 2 guitarists? That would be a good option If it was.
I'm kind of swaying towards a Markbass Little Mark iii.
I'm struggling to find 2 good quality 2x10 cabs to pair with it. Easier for me to move around than a 4x10. The markbass cabs seem to get bad press online, plus they are pretty expensive.
[/quote]

http://youtu.be/bVssp9UXZ9w

Seems fine to me, and that's only one. Benefits from more watts stuck into it. One of the best cheap cabs you can get.