Why become a member? ×

cheap looking things which actually turned out to be alright

tonyquipment

i bought one of these flanger preppy style-f1 headphone amps to practice with, just noodling around and stuff..

i got it off ebay for like 13 quid odd delivered. i figured, if it turned out to be crap i wouldnt cry about it seeing as it was pretty cheap.

its actually not too bad. the tone control doesnt really do anything and the overdrive is a bit farty. BUT on clean, it sounds alright!

its got a built in battery which is charged via USB, fairly long life..x so many hours so i am told. meh whatever...

auxiliary in, to jam along to your tracks, like that feature.

thats about it. pretty simple device but overall, it does what its supposed to do and ACTUALLY sounds okay.

what about you?

have you guys bought some cheap looking things which actually turned out to be alright?

Well, in that case all my basses and also my practice amp deserve a mention! Most of the higher-end instruments being sold or traded on this site are individually more expensive than the whole of my bass-related possessions - yet I'm perfectly happy with what I'm getting out of my gear. That obviously does [b]not[/b] reduce my GAS even by a tiny bit, but that's another story! :D :gas: :rolleyes:

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1368280608' post='2075244']
Well, in that case all my basses and also my practice amp deserve a mention! Most of the higher-end instruments being sold or traded on this site are individually more expensive than the whole of my bass-related possessions - yet I'm perfectly happy with what I'm getting out of my gear. That obviously does [b]not[/b] reduce my GAS even by a tiny bit, but that's another story! :D :gas: :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Ditto! I own 5 bass guitars, and together they cost me a total of less than £900 :o

hah! glad to hear it.

for me, i cannot justify spending 4 grand on a bass, it wont sound that much different to a cheap 50 quid precison jobby off gumtree, yeah aesthetically the 4 grander would look much nicer but it doesnt necessarily mean that it will play like its worth!

i've had a go in the music shop on a couple of 'expensive' guitars, fenders/gibsons/rickenbackers etc

however they didnt play and sound half as good as my 40 quid encore strat which i've had kicking around since my teens. the liquid smooth fretboard, slightly worn frets, foam light body, pitch perfect intonation (i was bored one day and decided to tweak the bridge) all from a 40 quid argos jobby!!

the sound, for me, boils down to effects board and amplification. if either or are cheap, it will sound crap.

flame me, i dont care, im drunk. :lol:

The only basses I've ever played that sounded better than my Peaveys were a limited edition Ibanez Musician Bass, and a Rickenbacker 4003. The Ibanez had a stupidly long neck and weighed a ton, and the Ric, being a Ric, was really uncomfortable to play despite having the best neck and fretwork I've ever seen.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1368292217' post='2075398']
I love that finish! Honestly I don't think that looks like a toy, it's a really cool guitar :D
[/quote]
Yeah, I quite like the blue crackle body, it's more the orangey stain and burn marks on the neck, and the faux-rust coloured tuners I have mixed feelings about! I had not very much in my pocket and really fancied a fender-ish single coil guitar for the band I play in, and this has done a surprisingly good job.

Guest bassman7755

Digitech RP100, got one for about £30 off ebay many years ago.

Brilliant little amp sim and effects unit.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITECH-RP100A-Multi-Effect-Guitar-Processor-with-POWER-SUPPLY-/181138629676?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a2cb4242c"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITECH-RP100A-Multi-Effect-Guitar-Processor-with-POWER-SUPPLY-/181138629676?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a2cb4242c[/url]

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1368301423' post='2075544']
I've seen the vox ones...didn't know they did a bass one???
[/quote]

They certainly do, My Good Lady bought me one for a Christmas 'stocking filler' after spotting it on eBay, and I have to say, I'm rather glad she did. B)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1368307055' post='2075623']
Dunlop plastic strap locks. Useful in an emergency. About £1.99 for two.

[/quote]

Dammit! Just paid £3.15 for a pair of these on ebay! Now I feel I've been had!

Postage was free mind :D

[/quote]

Plus a massive one, was just fiddling about with one of them when I saw your post. Excellent for stress relief, there's something so satisfying in playing about with them when you're bored.

And I suppose they've helped once or twice with stopping my strap slipping off, too.

[/quote]

Grolsch (or similar) rubber washers. Do the same job (sometimes better) and cost nothing at all once you've bought the beer. Or you could think of it as cheap straplocks with free beer thrown in! :D

And another big plus one for the Behringer BDI21 B)