Why become a member? ×

The London Bass Guitar Show 2014

Silvia Bluejay

I think despite the very minor incidents over noise, the two days were absolutely excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed myself hanging out with some superbly wonderful musicians. I make no apologies over sharing my pictures on FB cos I had a great time and want everyone to know how important the LBGS is in the bass players calendar. IF you're serious about your instrument and progressing then the masterclasses alone are worth every bit of the cost of the tickets. Oh and you get to talk to the players 1-2-1 also!

[quote name='HartkeUK' timestamp='1393852713' post='2384986']
Not sure where the "management got involved" came from cause they certainly never mentioned anything to me or the other guys as far as I know. [/quote]
The organisers definitely knew there was an issue because I was told they'd recieved complaints. Because I was away at the Lee Sklar seminar, it wasn't clear whether they'd done anything about it. When I got back to the BC stall the atmosphere was noticably quieter and calmer...distinctly like the silence that follows a loud explosion.

In fairness there were two guys playing different rigs simultaneously but believe me loud isn't anything we aim for at the shows. I did speak to the organisers and ask them to police the quiet periods properly because three days at a show like this when it is loud is very tiring.[/quote]
I watched Eden get a warning earlier in the day from management. I think the organisers could set aside loud rooms for rigs that are booked on a sheet in 30 min slots by amp makers in the same way that people wait for a pool table in a pub. Amp makers could roll their kit in on dollys for punters to give it a belting and at the end of 30 min, return kit to the stand. Alternatively, amp makers could rent out a dedicated loud room.

Hope the show keeps getting proper support from the bassists out there. The drum show will be doubling in size this year because of the commitment shown by the community and I would love to see the same thing happen with the LBGS.[/quote]
From what I saw, the show got huge support from bass players. The auditorium and conference rooms seemed packed during the master classes. The industry though...? May be less so but Guitar Show in Birmingham probably didn't help.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1393855490' post='2385040']
I didn't know who any of the name players were... :blink:
[/quote]
I needed help at times also, I didn't recognise the bloke who plays bass for One Direction for example OR Neil Murray (and I was standing next to Neil at Earls Court for 15min holding my bass). I recognised Mo Foster instantly though - what a lovely guy. Great to see him and Lee Sklar having a bit of chat. I was a bit cheeky and asked Lee what it was like meeting the legendary Mo Foster. Mo got a bit embarrassed. :lol:

Had a good time on the Sunday, highlight was listening and speaking to Lee Sklar during his Masterclass. I didn't attend last years LBS but was surprised in the reduction of stands from the 2012 show and no-one had any flat wound strings this year either....!
Noise has been a chesnut for a number of years and certainly I had to abandon my attempts to play on the Ortega Stand on both their mini basses and UBasses which were both through an Ampeg mini stack:it seemed pointless trying to compete with whoever was next door.
Managed to recommend the Warwick Star Bass to another Basschatter (sorry name escapes me) so if anyone is reading this from Warwick (Nick Wells?) send the cheque to the usual address!
Met Sylvia and Steve on the BC stand and thankfully was not photographed in the BC baseball cap...
Big shout out to Phil and his team at BassGear for hosting the Basschat stand too.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1393859111' post='2385108']
Managed to recommend the Warwick Star Bass to another Basschatter (sorry name escapes me)[/quote]
Pfft. I usually manage to make more of an impression than that...unless you were recommending to more than one, of course.

I had to abandon the Ortega stand too. I don't know why they didn't swap with the hearing protection people out by the auditorium entrance...could have been better business for both! :)

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1393859612' post='2385116']
Pfft. I usually manage to make more of an impression than that...unless you were recommending to more than one, of course.

I had to abandon the Ortega stand too. I don't know why they didn't swap with the hearing protection people out by the auditorium entrance...could have been better business for both! :)
[/quote]

No, that was my first recommendation and I did name check you..! :)

Barrie (Merton) had been talking to someone about the Star Bass and as he's tried mine mentioned me and how I was knocking around. Just after I then went over to Bassgear to say my cherios and Barrie ran after the guy, brought him back and then we had our chat, my second Warwick Star Bass endorsing session of the day. Actually, I could not help mentioning to Lee Sklar that I had a Star Bass too.... :P (forgot to mention it was a cheapy mind)

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1393846587' post='2384874']
Were the exhibitors that were not there up in Birmingham instead.
[/quote]

I doubt it, I went to the Birmingham show on Saturday afternoon and took friend where who was looking to buy a new 5 string bass but there were hardly any to choose from, and the ones that were there were the same as you would get in any town centre music shop. I certainly didn't see any of the independent builders like I saw at the London Show. Who knows who was there on Sunday though.
Thats the second time I've been there and said. Never again it's mainly a rock guitar fest for guitarists.
Maybe they should split next year so that one place has all the loud rock guitarists and slappers in the same venue and the non slappers and quieter guitarists at another venue. :gas: :D :blink:

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1393860437' post='2385128']
I doubt it, I went to the Birmingham show.....
[/quote]

These shows cost an absolute shedload to exhibit, its not just the stand space you need to think about and most companies like Fender/Ashdown/Gibson/etc, will most likely only have the resources (both financial and physical; POS info, stands, logistics, staffing etc.) to do one show at a time. If I was Fender UK, as a business decision I would have favoured the guitar show too... much as I would defend the bass community, the guitar show will have had much more footfall.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself.Being left handed i only tried 1 bass on the Eve stand. I had the salesman turn the volume down as low as it would go so i didn`t embaress myself playing right handed . It was very nice. I would contemplate getting one when i learn to play to a sufficiemt standard. Hopefully i will be a better player next year so get to play more basses.
I was expecting there to be more stands, and was hoping for more accessories other than pedals and strings. It was loud, but i thought it might be as it is a bass show. I will be putting this event on my every year list.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1393876013' post='2385417']
I counted at least 10 lefty basses at the show, including two acoustic, so it wasn't too bad, especially compared to last year.
[/quote]Yes i saw a few leftys and the Warwick that you pointed out was tucked away out of sight. I didn`t try any of them as i had an excuse for being rubbish playing right handed. I also had a quick go on a Left handed 5 string Stingray through earphones

Well, I had a great time, thanks very much...

I travelled down from Brum and caught both days of the show. I had no intention of buying (or even trying...) a new bass, I was drawn by the quality of the speakers and performers. I did have a twang on a rather lovely Sterling Ray and the new Jeff Berlin signature model (in front of the man himself which was trouser browningly nerve-wracking) and a couple of other bits and pieces, but I would have been there regardless.

High points for me were Steve Lawson and Lee Sklar - totally different players, but warm and engaging. Jeff Berlin was thought provoking and although I didn't agree with everything he said, you have to admire the mans thinking and his consumate ability. I would have liked to have heard John Taylor actually play, but I really enjoyed just hearing him talk about his experiences. But then again, as a proud Brummie, I am biased.

There were nowhere near as many stands this year as last year, which would have frustrated me slightly if I was on the look out for a new instrument. And (forgive me if I'm wrong) not too many cheapy Basses either. A couple of stands selling bits and pieces like machine heads, scratch plates etc would have been most welcome, too. The logic of having the Birmingham show on at the same time baffles me. It couldn't have been good for either event.

The LBGS is a great event and it's so nice to be in a room full of Bassists. We're pretty solitary creatures (generally only one per band unless you're in Hugo Largo or Neds Atomic Dustbin and not many people are...) so it's great just to be amongst like minded people. If occasionally like minded and noisy people. I don't really understand the negativity towards it in some quarters. It raises our profile, gives us a meeting place and an opportunity to see incredible talents like Roger Glover away from their bands and talking specifically about their career as a Bassist. I left tired but happy. And with a signed photograph of Frank Bello. That my friends, is a good score

Edited by rushbo

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1393859111' post='2385108']
2 show and no-one had any flat wound strings this year either....!
[/quote]

There were some on the bass centre stand and Im sure I saw some elsewhere

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1393868307' post='2385279']
These shows cost an absolute shedload to exhibit, its not just the stand space you need to think about and most companies like Fender/Ashdown/Gibson/etc, will most likely only have the resources (both financial and physical; POS info, stands, logistics, staffing etc.) to do one show at a time. If I was Fender UK, as a business decision I would have favoured the guitar show too... much as I would defend the bass community, the guitar show will have had much more footfall.
[/quote]

+1

There really needed to be a months gap between the two shows.

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1393879548' post='2385473']
There were some on the bass centre stand and Im sure I saw some elsewhere
[/quote]
Sorry, should have said 5 String sets, but that's in the name! BC had one B left but had sold the other 4 string set by then. However they were posting a set to me which should hopefully arrive tomorrow.