Why become a member? ×

Return of a long lost bass!

warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='211838' date='Jun 3 2008, 03:06 PM']Did you sell that through the old BassWorld site? I recall agonising over whether to go for that bass (or one very much like it), mainly 'because' of the finish/colour.[/quote]

Indeed I did John, I got it from Sugden, and at the time, Tim (Basszilla) had his for sale as well, his was the natural LX version, I was headed more for that one but I eventually gave in and got the Orange one, and I'm glad I did, it's easily one of those basses which are better seen in the flesh.

And now it resides in Scotland....I think.

I Had a custom 6 string through neck , shaped a bit like a Wal.
A guy called Jeff Finch made it for me in 1989.
Emg soap bars and Eq.
The Bass Gallery sold it for me in in 1999.
I would like to know where it is , and if it is up for grabs. :)
I will post some pics later if i can find any.

Garry

The only bass I ever regret selling is my Riverhead spector/warwick copy. It had smaller than average pickups and treble machineheads that went the same way as the Gibson EB4L. It also had a Badass bridge

Tradedit in at sound control in dunfermline around 1994 for my first 5 string which was a white passive Bass Collection

Edited by Delberthot

This is...... WAS my Billy-stein 70's ish P bass with a 57 neck, Dimarzio pick ups and the Dimarzio Model one with seperate outs, Badass Bridge, reverse tuners, knackered paint work, dog of a bass but was a good reliable work horse...sold it on in a moment of utter madness, pic was about 10 years ago. It was sold to someone in South Wales who obviously moved on...could be in Wales, could be anywhere! It's not worth a lot but I'd pay a fair bit to have it back :)

[attachment=9611:DadPic1007.jpg]

This is my tale of joy and woe...

I had this made in 2000 after getting an inheritance from my uncle who died that year. He worked in the theatre so thought it was fitting to get a bass made for me with the money.
About four years or so later, I was frighteningly skint and with heavy heart waved bye bye and sold it to pay off some of my debts.
So move forward to last year and it appeared on a Status forum. The guy was selling it for a great price (but knowing it was the one I had built I'd have paid more). So I got it back.

And the one that got away - around 1988/89 I had a medium scale Jaydee in red (Mark King model as I can remember) that was nicked from my school. Love to know where that went. I'm sure there can't be that many medium scale Jaydees around?

• 1 year later...

I have just found this thread and it reminded me of a bass that I sold and got back. Back in April 1998 my girlfriend bought me a secondhand Squier precision (made in Korea) for £90,I used this until August 1998 when she bought me a secondhand Rickenbacker 4003.My friend was always on at me to sell him the Squier so some time in 1999 I did.
Over the next nine years I regretted selling the Squier as it was a present from my girlfriend and I felt guilty about selling it.So in December 2008 I got in touch with my friend,to see if he still had it and was willing to sell it back to me.Anyway my girlfriend (again) bought it back for me again for £90 and gave it to me for Christmas.
I am keeping this bass now and also found out that it was made in 1989 almost vintage.So now my plan is to slowly upgrade it to as close to an American Precision bass as I can.

[quote name='rob_89' post='211158' date='Jun 2 2008, 02:33 PM']traded in a Musicman Sub, all black last year at Electro music in doncaster, regret that move[/quote]

Might know where this is!!,,

Lad in Crowle plays in a band,,, got one from electro methinks,, and is thinking of selling again... will give him a call,, check some details... :)

sold a 1964 Epiphone Embassy bass,belonged to John Entwistle and is featured in the bassbook!..
wish id never sold it...

and then,a Fender Custom shop 55pbass..with a chunky maple neck...altho,i never actually sold it,i lent it to someone who traded it in for some shyte Hi-watt amps at music ground...w*nkers....
i never got it back..and it appeared on Ebay for £3500... :)

ah well..we live and learn...

Je ne regret rien, I'm pleased to say. I've only been playing a few years, and it's been all the way up in terms of gear quality so far, so I don't miss any of my sold basses. Except maybe the Takamine acoustic owing to its beautiful front, back and sides in vivid quilted maple, but even then I wouldn't move mountains to get it back because I never found much of a use for an acoustic.

Only one regret and that's my original Status SII #402. I had a chance about a year ago to get it back, but right at the last minute, the money didn't transpire. I know who has it now & he doesn't want to sell it. So I'll bide my time & it may come back one day. Why do we let the special basses we've had for a long time slip away?!

I'd like the Jetglo 4001 I sold in the mid-80s (1985, I think) to fund an Aria ZZB*.

If whoever's got it can get it back to me, I've still got the £250 he gave me for it, and we can swap back... :)

Oh, and the same deal applies for the black and maple 70s Precision I sold for £180, too.

M

* Ah, the folly of youth. As nothing, however, compared to the electric blue spandex trousers... :rolleyes:

MB1. :)
..A steel Grey limited Edition Namm Musicman Stingray..Carbon Graphite neck (marked Musicman Stingray not status on the front) 3band eq through body stringing...i have photos which i'll have to dig out!...This is definately one i Miss!... got it from Mr Sshorepunk ...Mr Clutterbuck also had one at one stage..which he also sold on!...either or Either would be nice!

Edited by MB1

bizzarly I think the red SS1 warwick hunt started this thead off with he sold and I bought the blue one he had.

I sold the blue one, not massivly want it back!
My first bass was a 1997 status shark, tabacco sunburst with 2 pups and active electronics, I sold it (not on basschat) but it has since done the rounds through half of basschat.. one day...

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='667545' date='Nov 27 2009, 04:45 PM']bizzarly I think the red SS1 warwick hunt started this thead off with he sold and I bought the blue one he had.

I sold the blue one, not massivly want it back![/quote]

Even though I've thinned the herd drastically over the last year, 'Red' will stay with me now, through thick and thin. :)

A "Shrek" green Spector NS5CR p/ex'd at Guitar Guitar in Newcastle. Wouldn't care but they had it in for absolutely ages and moved it to one of their other shops where it eventually sold.

If anyone north of the border knows of its whereabouts I'd love to get it back. (1cm Circular chip directly above the pup where my scredriver slipped when adjusting it - so quite noticeable unless its been repaired).

Ok, no laughing,this picture was taken in 1992,just before I sold both of these 1979 USA B.C.Rich Bich 8 string basses

Then in 2003/4,bidding on another one (VERY expensive) on US Evilbay

A guy in the UK contacts the seller saying he has one and asks to pass on his email addy to the winner (Me),turns out he has one of my old Bich 8's (the one on the left of the ancient picture) and I had the warranty card for his bass!!!,so I gave the card to him

Anyway,swapped a Yamaha 6 string bass and flight case for it

I also know where the other '79 Bich 8 is,offered a fair price for it,considering the damge to it,but he declined,but I have first dibs on it :)

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='210745' date='Jun 1 2008, 07:41 PM']This beat up Stingray which i only had a matter of weeks was just superb, but things conspired to me selling it, I then had a chance to get it back last year but again financial restraints reared their heads, I'd dearly love her back.

u know my pm![/quote]

My old 'ray. Loved it :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='667642' date='Nov 27 2009, 06:06 PM']Even though I've thinned the herd drastically over the last year, 'Red' will stay with me now, through thick and thin. :)[/quote]

aw thats nice.
i need to name my natural one... 'nat'?

I regret selling my 1996 50th Anniversary Edition P-Bass Deluxe with precision and humbucker pickup configuration. An absolutely beautiful bass, I don't know why I really sold it. Went to someone eBay a few years back. Would love to get it back too. Can't find the original photo to read the serial number though, only this low quality version :)

My white Hohner fretless Jazz with tort pickguard. I traded it for a Hohner B-Bass V, which was a nice bass but totally wrong for me. Loved the fretless. This was in around 1997 in France though, so I'll probably never see it again.

Interesting story, a while ago I picked up a Kramer Imperial (explorer) guitar for not much money, and totally refinished it in matt black with a black diamond plate full-body pickguard, fitted EMG-HZs on it, had it fully rewired, shaved the neck to a shallower C, and stuck a custom logo on it. I eventually had to sell it off due to needing some funds, but six months later I came across it again on eBay, the guy I sold it to had sold it to another guy, who was now claiming that he was a guitar builder and all the mods were his own work. What a dick.