Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Evo II 300 bass amp head

lou24d53

Can you try it first? Some Ashdown gear tends to have its own kind of sound, and tends to be a bit like Marmite as far as peoples opinions go.
Some folks seem to like the old school kind of thump, whereas others find them 'woolly' because they don't do the modern twangy hi-fi thing.

I sometimes use an old Klystron head (the forerunner to the ABM stuff I believe) at a rehearsal room, and with a bit of tube grind dialled in I reckon it sounds pretty bloody good for a classic rock kind of sound.

I've used the newer MAG heads as well though, and found them rather disappointing - always seemed to be lacking in grunt, and I just don't seem to be able to find a sound that'll cut through and be heard in a loud band situation.

Which was never the case with my old red-faced MAG400, which I thought sounded great...

It's actually an eBay link I found, someone looking for £150, based in Glasgow, less than an hour left on it and no bids as yet.

Dare say if it doesn't sell, I could contact the guy direct to see if if I could go try it out.

Having only got a wee 30w practice amp at home, I'm now in need of gigging worthy amp and it just caught my eye.

Cheers for the reply, ended up giving it a miss for now though.

I only started looking the last few days, so I decided not to dive in a buy the first thing I see, which was in hindsight kinda daft really, as I'm sure I would've recouped the cash it would've cost if I decided to move it on.

I've got one of those in Glasgow too. Have to admit, In the 4 years I gigged it, I had to get it repaired twice, and the 'grind' function has nnt worked properly for the majority of the time (that could just be a valve isue thogh).

The sound of it is brilliant though (IMO).

You can have mine for £30 if you want, if your willing to put the cash into it to get it fixed.

constant buzz coming from it (Usable but a wee bit annoying)
The grind function doesnt work (probably the prevalve)
1 knob missing.
preamp knob crackles a bit.