Why become a member? ×

black sov big muff

Left Foot

So there's loads turning up on e-bay recently, talking 2013, there's got to be at least one every week. Is it right that I'm so sceptical of this? Were they ever so popular? I mean some sell for £80 plus which is mad! There's so many clones about now, as well. They all seem to be version 4 black ones, easily faked?

The increase in sales on the black small box ones is crazy. I remember them going unsold for months when they were up for £35 or so on the forum. I struggled to understand why the Green ones were going for £80+ at that time, and now they are going for £200+. Crazy stuff. When their are significantly superior clones like the Arc and the various Wren & Cuff models, its just fandom gone mad. At least pedals like the Deep Impact are at least unique in that no other pedal sounds quite like it.

Now, you may take me as biased, given it says in my signature that I 'endorse' them, but I am aware that Tom's (TG Flatline) COG Tarkin Fuzz is basically this very circuit with some optimised tweaks for bass. I've played both pedals and they are very similar. I'd be hard pushed to pick which I prefer, each has its own character, but I'd certainly say the COG pedal LOVES the bass.

Given what Tom is selling his stuff for (waaaaay too cheap for the quality IMO) I'd suggest you check it out.

I'd say it just like Eakimo above, but if you want a Sovtek, buy the COG and save SERIOUS money (and have a better made pedal!)

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1367968732' post='2071874']
well, I've got a sov BM pedal, for £55 not too long ago. I'm definitely thinking of selling it if those ones on ebay go for £200, and then look at the Wren & Cruff or one of the mentioned COG's. Just blows my mind!
[/quote]

That Sir, was a bloody bargain. They are very expensive due to rarety. You only need one or two famous folks to be using a old pedal and suddenly everyone wants one again. The modern alternatives are, IMO, much better, given the additional years if refinement and R&D. Plus, save you a truck load of cash!