Why become a member? ×

Going bare

FinnDave

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1375704230' post='2164434']
I had the chance to try my Compact properly last night, for the first time.

We were asked to play in this bar in town (The Potting Shed, formerly Native State, for those Edinburghers in the forum), and they had a small PA through which we put three microphones for vocals and saxophone/clarinet, and everything else was provided by our own amps (except the drummer and our very loud trumpet player,, that did not use amplification).

I took along my Compact, alongside the MarkBass CMD121P combo. Essentially this below, except I was using the Stingray rather than the SUB in the picture:

The results?

MIGHTY.

Lots of bottom end.
LOTS.

More than I was used to when I used the MB alone or with the RS210 cab. Also more than when using the RH450 head with the RS210 and BC212 cabs.
It sounded big. Alex said this 1x15 cab could sound like or even bigger than many 4x10s, and I don't think he exaggerated. I would add "not just any 410, but a good one".

The sound was a bit "darker" than I would normally prefer, but it's early days, I'll just have to experiment until I get it just the way I want it. I did not normally have this amount of bottom end available so my Stingray and amp settings will have to be different now, of course.
It sounded big, and with definition. It's a really good combination, using the MB combo and this cab. I was using my wireless, so that I could go around the bar for sound check... and it sounded really really nice out there. On stage it sounded louder, obviously, but no overpowering, it just sounded... "big". Drummer was very happy with it too.

And this is a rig I could easily carry in one trip if I wanted to: bass on my back, MB combo on one hand, and Compact on the other. I can't get over just how light this Compact is... and how big it sounds.

The volume knob on the Markbass was set also noticeable lower than I used to. This rig has some serious punch and volume.

I'm in love. :gas:

I see a future where I sell the RS210 and buy another Barefaced... :)
[/quote]

Haha. The Compact is an astonishing little cab. Not the cab for everyone, but for the weekend gigging bass player they are very hard to better. I'm still loving mine after 4+ years.

A good addition is a Midget for large hotel rooms and the like. Also, you will find, as I did, that sometimes the Midget alone is more than enough for pub gigs. Having the two cabs gives me three rigs to cover every situation. (I did use my Markbass 121P with the Compact but found that the Markbass reached the speakers limit before the Compact, thereby limiting the Compact but that has never happened with the Compact/Midget together.)

Go on, treat yourself. ;)

Frank.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1375791467' post='2165608']
I've been waiting since I started this thread, just emailed Alex to make sure he's still there!
[/quote]
Haha I did too. Was just worried there had been an issue with something...

Alex - are you alive?!?

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1375798647' post='2165767']
me too :)

Huzzah - cab paid for now. So close! :D
[/quote]
[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1375798384' post='2165757']
He is, he replied to me.
[/quote]

I've "only" been waiting since mid June. Guess I'll have to be patient for a while longer :unsure:

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1367871852' post='2070542']
Hah! I still haven't heard back but was emailing last week too. Decided to go for tweeter too, never used one before but thought it would be good to have, but not need - than need and not have!
[/quote]

Wish I'd gone for one with a tweeter too. I've always run 15" cabs with tweeters and being without takes a bit of getting used to. I've managed to get my MB/Barefaced set up running with 3 of my basses but I think the precision will probably have to go in favour of a Jazz at some point.

[quote name='Stealth' timestamp='1376225434' post='2170952']
Great cabs awsome sound , Pants finish and pointless wheels. Barfaced just put two proper handles in a sensible place pleeeeeease[/quote]

The finish may not stand up to the likes of Aguilar, Bergantino and other "boutique" manufacturers, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as "pants".

The wheels are great indoors and on smooth pavements - but admittedly they are rather crap on typical pub car parks! That said, they are bass cabinets not shopping trolleys!

The handles thing is a bit of an issue - but if I could manage a Vintage (the biggest cab BF have ever made AFAIAA) in and out of a house with very narrow doors, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem with the new modular range, which are significantly less wide...

Once a BF cab is set up on stage all the problems evaporate. B)