Why become a member? ×

Going bare

FinnDave

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1375195502' post='2157966']
My Compact arrived and is finally with me! :) :)

I was only able to try it at home at low volumes so I cannot tell what it'll be like, but it's promising... and I love the weight (or lack thereoff!)
[/quote]
Ooh, nice. Did you go for the cloth or metal grille?

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1375203439' post='2158117']
Ooh, nice. Did you go for the cloth or metal grille?
[/quote]

I think I will disappoint you: metal.

You'd have liked the cloth one better, wouldn't you? :)

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1375213228' post='2158362']
Yeah, I'm a fan of that sort of thing! I can see how the metal grille would look better matched under your Markbass combo though.
[/quote]

I was not worried about looks, it was more about it being more solid that way. I am generally careful but accidents happen... Remember Kelburn... I let my Stingray drop to the floor when my concentration was elsewhere (suddenly I could not find my amp lead!)... :unsure:

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1375261634' post='2158875']
i dunno man! ive already got chunks of wood missing all over my S15 so i dont know how the cloth would fare better?

but then i have no experience with it[/quote]

If you want your cab to stay looking pretty, get a cover! :P Functionally the chips won't bother it in the slightest, though we're using a harder tougher plywood now. The cloth is bombproof - you could build trampolines from it: The plywood frame it's on will crack before you get a hammer through it, as some recent impromptu tests proved...

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1375263951' post='2158917']
If you want your cab to stay looking pretty, get a cover! :P Functionally the chips won't bother it in the slightest, though we're using a harder tougher plywood now. The cloth is bombproof - you could build trampolines from it: The plywood frame it's on will crack before you get a hammer through it, as some recent impromptu tests proved...
[/quote]

"impromptu tests" :lol:

tell me you have that on video, please! :P

having peeked behind the grille of my cloth fronted midgets (the grille frame is velcro'd on in the tradional manner) the speaker is set a fair way back so well out of harms way. i have bought roqsolid covers for mine though, with the thicker padding and the pocket for the speaker protection panel, mainlybecause i want these to stay looking perfect and judging by the condition of my old guitar amps a cover was a wise investment.

Matt

Should we start a 'Here's my Midget in a silly situation' series?

Here's a start, a little charity do at a school, but outdoors, just vocals through the pa. Not a metal-loud gig but pretty punchy. Midget handled it just ticking over, plenty of capacity left. I would not expect a 1x12 to be able to sound like this. Recorded by audience member on an iphone.

There will be more, let's see some more examples of Midgets in places where you'd expect something bigger.

(Try with headphones or linked to some proper speakers, laptop speakers won't reproduce the bass)

[media]http://youtu.be/tLqkveQuVVU[/media]

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1375278659' post='2159174']

Here's a start, a little charity do at a school, but outdoors, just vocals through the pa. Not a metal-loud gig but pretty punchy. Midget handled it just ticking over, plenty of capacity left. I would not expect a 1x12 to be able to sound like this. Recorded by audience member on an iphone.

There will be more, let's see some more examples of Midgets in places where you'd expect something bigger.

(Try with headphones or linked to some proper speakers, laptop speakers won't reproduce the bass)

[/quote]

Sounds great. Cool band, too. Nice one.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1375278659' post='2159174']

[/quote]

Sounds awesome, great playing too! I've had a twin on order since mid June. Been checking for "the email" several times a day ever since! Hopefully not too long now. I'm going to partner it with a GK MB Fusion :rolleyes:

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1375394060' post='2160822']
I think I'm joining the Bare Club too very, very soon :gas:
...I don't know how I'm going to cope with the wait, I've always had everything bought on a next day delivery basis.
[/quote]

I may be able to suggest something to help with the wait... expect PM very soon ;)

I had the chance to try my Compact properly last night, for the first time.

We were asked to play in this bar in town (The Potting Shed, formerly Native State, for those Edinburghers in the forum), and they had a small PA through which we put three microphones for vocals and saxophone/clarinet, and everything else was provided by our own amps (except the drummer and our very loud trumpet player,, that did not use amplification).

I took along my Compact, alongside the MarkBass CMD121P combo. Essentially this below, except I was using the Stingray rather than the SUB in the picture:

The results?

MIGHTY.

Lots of bottom end.
LOTS.

More than I was used to when I used the MB alone or with the RS210 cab. Also more than when using the RH450 head with the RS210 and BC212 cabs.
It sounded big. Alex said this 1x15 cab could sound like or even bigger than many 4x10s, and I don't think he exaggerated. I would add "not just any 410, but a good one".

The sound was a bit "darker" than I would normally prefer, but it's early days, I'll just have to experiment until I get it just the way I want it. I did not normally have this amount of bottom end available so my Stingray and amp settings will have to be different now, of course.
It sounded big, and with definition. It's a really good combination, using the MB combo and this cab. I was using my wireless, so that I could go around the bar for sound check... and it sounded really really nice out there. On stage it sounded louder, obviously, but no overpowering, it just sounded... "big". Drummer was very happy with it too.

And this is a rig I could easily carry in one trip if I wanted to: bass on my back, MB combo on one hand, and Compact on the other. I can't get over just how light this Compact is... and how big it sounds.

The volume knob on the Markbass was set also noticeable lower than I used to. This rig has some serious punch and volume.

I'm in love. :gas:

I see a future where I sell the RS210 and buy another Barefaced... :)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1375704230' post='2164434']
I had the chance to try my Compact properly last night, for the first time.

I see a future where I sell the RS210 and buy another Barefaced... :)
[/quote]

Not sure I can think of a situation where 2 Compacts can be justified, but I'd recommend a cab with a tweeter, maybe the Midget T.

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1375707143' post='2164496']
Not sure I can think of a situation where 2 Compacts can be justified, but I'd recommend a cab with a tweeter, maybe the Midget T.
[/quote]

That was more or less what I was thinking, actually. Something with a bit more midrange, and the Midget seems to be described that way.
But I'm not exactly in a hurry. The MarkBass + Compact is really good. Mostly I just see my RS210 being for sale very soon.