Why become a member? ×

Going bare

FinnDave

a short report from my band practice on tuesday, the midget [i]really[/i] cuts through, i had been struggling with the in-house ashdown 4x10 and while the midget wasn't that much louder it was so much easier to hear myself, i got comments from the others, the best one being that the guitarist could finally hear me properly! (something he'd been complaining about for about a year)

i can't wait to play a proper gig now (with the full double midget stack)

Matt

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1368092654' post='2073016'] i got comments from the others, the best one being that the guitarist could finally hear me properly! (something he'd been complaining about for about a year) [/quote]

That problem is usually created by the guitarist himself ;) :P

Glad that it's working out! The midget seems to have a strong midrange response from what I read, would you say so?
I went for a Compact, but the Midget was tempting me too, partly because of that.

I must've been lucky, or a relatively early adopter. I don't remember my S12T taking too long. Nik's review of it with the Genz Benz Streamliner 6 is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/206857-genz-benz-streamliner-600-barefaced-super-t/"]HERE[/url]

If I'd bought the Shuttle instead of the Streamliner the tweeter would have frankly been superfluous (IMHO) but the STreamliner is a much warmer amp and the tweeter half on just adds that little bit of top sheen.

Using it for prog (classic and new), classic rock, country, and soon for a funky dep and it does sound great in all situations (again IMO).

Good luck with the wait.

I waited about 6 weeks for my Compact, but that was the very beginning of 2012 so a fair while ago. I waited 14 weeks for my S12T/V which I ordered in September 2012 and received 4 days before Christmas Day. Was worth every minute of the wait though.

Edited by Ziphoblat

Did you get any confirmation that "yep, got your order, thanks, all under control, now sit, relax and wait"? :)
I paid my deposit but did not get any kind of confirmation... just wondering whether it's normal or maybe I should check?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1368446629' post='2077089']
Did you get any confirmation that "yep, got your order, thanks, all under control, now sit, relax and wait"? :)
I paid my deposit but did not get any kind of confirmation... just wondering whether it's normal or maybe I should check?
[/quote]

Did you not get a phone call to go through what it was that you wanted?
I did a couple of days after paying my deposit.
Discussed all manner of things: what basses I played, where I played, what pedals I used etc etc.....that conversation upsold a tweeter to me!!

ha HA

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1368448758' post='2077124']
Did you not get a phone call to go through what it was that you wanted?
I did a couple of days after paying my deposit.
Discussed all manner of things: what basses I played, where I played, what pedals I used etc etc.....that conversation upsold a tweeter to me!!

ha HA
[/quote]

No.

I emailed Alex before that, explaining what I did, what I expected, what I liked, and what use I'd make of the cab I wanted to buy. I explained I was unsure whether the Midget or Compact would be more appropriate. He replied saying that given all that, he would recommend I get the Compact. So I said I'd go for the compact then, and went to place the order and paid the deposit.
I guess I should contact him again just in case.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1368464433' post='2077406']

No.

I emailed Alex before that, explaining what I did, what I expected, what I liked, and what use I'd make of the cab I wanted to buy. I explained I was unsure whether the Midget or Compact would be more appropriate. He replied saying that given all that, he would recommend I get the Compact. So I said I'd go for the compact then, and went to place the order and paid the deposit.
I guess I should contact him again just in case.
[/quote]

Check your junk mail. Alex's mail ended up there with me.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1368465414' post='2077417']
I discussed which cab would be best for me with Alex before ordering as well, and the only confirmation of my deposit payment was from paypal, which is enough for me.
[/quote]

That's exactly my situation. I'm sure Alex is aware of it... but as I hear people receiving acknowledgement of the order by email it made me wonder. Even the best of the best can lose track of an email sometimes, so better safe than sorry! :)

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1368469899' post='2077490']
Check your junk mail. Alex's mail ended up there with me.
[/quote]

Nothing there. I mean, tons of crap there, but no emails from BF :)

I'll just ask him, just to be sure. :)

I got confirmation of my deposit from Alex however when I paid the balance I didn't receive anything. I did later speak to Alex, a weak willed moment where I wanted an update :), and double checked he had received it.

I'd also previously spoken with him about cabs so didn't get the phone call after paying the deposit...which is fair enough

Well, I did not even have to ask. Today I got an email from Alex confirming he got the deposit, so it's all on course :)
In addition, responding to something I had mentioned earlier, he said that with a good amp one could probably get as much "oomph" from a pair of Compacts as I was getting with my old 6x10" set up... :o :)
If a pair of Compacts get anywhere in the vicinity of what I was getting with the 6x10" rig... I would be totally amazed... I can't wait to get my (single for now) Compact :) :)

[quote name='Barefootbassplayer' timestamp='1368521976' post='2077885']I'd also previously spoken with him about cabs so didn't get the phone call after paying the deposit...which is fair enough[/quote]

I can't remember phoning anyone after receiving a deposit - having worked in telesales many moons ago I have a bit of a phobia about making telephone calls, it's like I already used up my lifetime allocation in a few very looooooong years... ;) Expect a response by email but don't expect it quickly at the moment, we're all trying to stay away from the computers and keep all hands on actual manufacturing during the working day.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1368541844' post='2078236']
I can't remember phoning anyone after receiving a deposit - having worked in telesales many moons ago I have a bit of a phobia about making telephone calls, it's like I already used up my lifetime allocation in a few very looooooong years... ;) Expect a response by email but don't expect it quickly at the moment, we're all trying to stay away from the computers and keep all hands on actual manufacturing during the working day.
[/quote]
I remember a phone call after I paid my deposit, whether it was made by me or received by me, I can't remember - it wasn't you I spoke to, Alex, but another chap...you may remember I commented on what a great salesman he was as he managed to sell me a tweeter to go in my super twelve. :)

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1367857456' post='2070295']

How long have you been waiting so far?

I ask because I still not to sort some finances around :P
[/quote]

I ordered a S12 in the last week of february (11-12 weeks ago?) and received an email last week asking for the rest of the payment as the cab was nearly ready.

So if all goes well it will be about a 13 week wait all in.

Paul

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1368535601' post='2078096']
If a pair of Compacts get anywhere in the vicinity of what I was getting with the 6x10" rig... I would be totally amazed... I can't wait to get my (single for now) Compact :) :)
[/quote]

Without knowing exactly what 6x10 you have I can say with reasonable confidence that a double compact rig will put its thumb on its nose and waggle it fingers at your old cab.

To be fair, any modern 2x15 set up should roughly match or outperform a typical 6x10 - a 15" driver has more than 3x the cone area of a 10" and will usually have more excursion, too.
10s only really make sense in multiples if you want a slim form factor.