Why become a member? ×

cutting sound from a stingray? eq advice needed!

bigevilman

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1367853590' post='2070238']
This was my error when I had a ray, I think I boosted both eqs too much and ended up with a scooped tone that I disliked and vanished in the mix. If only basschat had existed back then :-)
[/quote]

I don't need Basschat for that, I have a pair of ears :P

Now seriously, I seem to recall a thread with a bunch of EQ curves at various positions of the knobs, and that illustrated the "mid-poor" situation you get by boosting both tone controls.

But whatever works for you. I know I'm right :P

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1367836615' post='2069946']
Wow.... there is NO way a MM bass should struggle in this regard.
If there is anything about them, it is that the EQ can cut glass.
[/quote]

Would agree. Was wondering if it was just the stage sound and a pair of guitarists insistent on being audible across the entire range.

IIRC.... The traditional EQ on a MM was +15db on the bass, boost only, and +-15db on the treble..
If you maxxed out the controls you'd have that awful typical MM sound.
Most actives suffer like this as well... and if go to the extremes the sound is unusable, pretty much.

I don't think the bass in itself is the problem, maybe the amp and cab don't cut well
but I would start with the 2 gtrs. This config is always an issue and even more so
with half stacks and humbuckers.
They will have to learn to band EQ themselves for the greater good... and not blanket
the mix with a gtr wall of sound.
You'll sound better if you layer instruments to the common good,.. inc drums...and it will make
things far easier ..AND quicker to set up.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1367867628' post='2070464']
IIRC.... The traditional EQ on a MM was +15db on the bass, boost only, and +-15db on the treble..
If you maxxed out the controls you'd have that awful typical MM sound.
[/quote]

This is not actually correct - the 2 band Stingray has boost and cut on both the bass and treble controls - problem is if you boost them both you can lose comparative mids - now that sound works excellently in some situations, but probably not the sound saturated environment the OP is referring to, where it's likely mids will be needed to overcome the bassiness of the guitars (or one of them by the sound of it)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1367867628' post='2070464']
They will have to learn to band EQ themselves for the greater good... and not blanket
the mix with a gtr wall of sound.
You'll sound better if you layer instruments to the common good,.. inc drums...and it will make
things far easier ..AND quicker to set up.
[/quote]

I agree entirely with you on this - and if the band is not playing with PA assistance with proper monitoring, I have started to ask other band members whether they can hear the rest of the band - one of the bands I play in has a rhytmn guitarist who is very much in the 60s idiom (relentless rhythmn) - and I walked over to his side of the stage one day only to find I couldn't hear anything but him - which expained why he missed half of the drum cues - so when it appears to be getting loud I now ask band members whether they can hear everyone else, and if they say no, the first issue is that they are probably too loud themselves - so must turn down - why is it that many guitarists often start (even in rehearsals) at searing volume - I suspect part of it (although there are no doubt other issues) is hearing loss (in which case they're also likely to hear the bass too loud in relation to their own volume anyway and compensate by turning up).

As I said before - the bass is probably quite audible out in the audience but the sound on stage may be compromised - it's awaful if you can't hear yourself properly.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1367859674' post='2070333']
Now seriously, I seem to recall a thread with a bunch of EQ curves at various positions of the knobs, and that illustrated the "mid-poor" situation you get by boosting both tone controls.
[/quote]
[attachment=134289:Stingray5-EQchart.jpg]

I use to have a stingray and the most useable sound i get is less is more ..... pretty much everything is flat and boost a little of bass and treble.

It do take abit of time to get use to the sound, i always hate the tone when playing alone but loves it when playing with the band because it cuts in nicely and sits well in the mix.

Musicman basses - even ones with just one pickup in the classic Stingray position - have got inherently big and powerful bottom end , and I rarely find much occasion to boost it much . I find a Stingray or similar with the eq set flat has got a much more hefty bottom than a typical Precision Bass , for example .

It must obviously be the way im playin it, started playing fingerstyle right down near the bridge, as opposed to playing near the bridge pickup on the lakland.

Also, the gigs ive used the ray in havent been regular gigs - theyve been either outdoor gigs or weird rooms, so not really a fair test.

Playing at the guide inn in keighley saturday, so should be a better test. :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1367679552' post='2068330']Bass almost maxed out, mid about flat and a tiny bit of treble boost.[/quote]

It always comes back to this setting ! Bass on FULL Mid Centre dent and Treb just off the dent + :D

find just by moving the treb to just off the centre +&- will do a lot to your tone, less is definatly more

I have a sterling ray34 and ive found for a really cutting tone centred bass and boosting the mids and trebs half way between centre/full. Then setting the amp with bass n treb round 2 o'clock mark, mids dependant on overall acoustics of the location :)

• 6 years later...

The year is now 2020 and I’m about 7 years off the last thread ! Having same issue with my 2 band Ray. I do know that the treble has WAY to much high end and to NEVER EVER put treble to 10. I point the screw on the treble knob at the screw on the control plate in between the treble and bass knobs. 6 I’d reckon and bass at about 8. The louder the Ray gets the more I back off that nasty treble. Going through a Keeley 4 knob compressor into a Sans Amp. 

After years and years of never quite being satisfied with my tone  ,  flitting through gear and pedals i've finally settled on  one i've  been very happy with, which works for almost everything i play ,  My 2 band Stingray old smoothie .... volume at around 50% ,  Treble at around 65%  bass at around 40% ish ,  then run it through my  zoom b3 compressor  patch " opto comp"  which i believe is a Aphex punch factory sim , the comp is on for rock and off  for less " loud songs ..... other than that I use the Proco Rat sim for  standing in the way of control , I can get the same tone from the studio's Ashdowns , to my markbass rig ,  or straight to the desk with the markbass sim .....  1 bass and pedal to rule them all ... I even took a train to a gig with "unknown backline " ... I know right O.O

on my 2 band, simple I just cut the treble if there is too much bite and the same with the low-end if it over -powers.

Where you play and how you dig in makes a big difference as well. I'm on my 3rd Stingray now and have finally got the eq sussed :)