Why become a member? ×

Starting a band from scratch. Long, sorry...

Telebass

Still not rehearsed with my current employer but then I didn't audition either, just turned up and gigged. They talk about getting together to work up new material but it never seems to happen even though I've made myself available for every suggested rehearsal session. I've now worked with 3 different drummers in the 'bands' last 6 gigs...

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1367426562' post='2065552']
So there's being in a band, which is like being in a band, and there's actually being in a band, which isn't like being in a band, because it's not about being in a band, it's about actually being in a band.
[/quote]

Exactly.

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1367431674' post='2065624']
I rehearse [i]and[/i] gig with the same band. How about that then? Quantum physics eat your heart out.
[/quote]

I think space just broke... way to go

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1367400533' post='2065048']
The word rehearsals and professional band are like fish and bicycle .
As soon as you hear regular weekly rehearsals you know you are going to end up dictating chords to a lazy guitarists, telling the drummer where to break and stop and what kind of beat to play.
The singer wont have any equipment other than a old microphone, not even a lead.

Those with a few years under the belt know that all learning is done at home to the record, no made up "improved" guitar solos and no made up drum fills.
The band only needs to come together to break the mojo of gigging, the material is learnt at home to the record in two or three blocks.

These are things that take 30 years to learn.
[/quote]

+1

So there's being in a band, which is like being in a band, and there's actually being in a band, which isn't like being in a band, because it's not about being in a band, it's about actually being in a band.
[/quote]

I'm rehearsing regularly ATM (2 new members, and some new material) and thoroughly enjoying it.

Am I just in a band, or am I actually in a band?

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1367437870' post='2065733']

I'm rehearsing regularly ATM (2 new members, and some new material) and thoroughly enjoying it.

Am I just in a band, or am I actually in a band?
[/quote]

It really depends on why you're rehearsing. There are three scenarios.
1. You're rehearsing because you enjoy playing in a band. You might get some gigs but none of you are that bothered.
2. You're rehearsing because you have a solid plan, a list of songs, a list of potential gigs, and you all want to gig.
3. You're rehearsing because you think being in a band is a cool thing to tell your mates, you've discussed what tunes to play but can't really all agree on any definites, you've got big plans to do loads of gigs at big venues. Tomorrow.

If it's 1 or 2, you're in a band, if it's 3, you're not.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1367397566' post='2064994']
Totally understand you wanting a great reliable line up, but I agree with FM here. It sounds like you are asking too much.

I've batted off 6 or so bands recently because they made me feel like I was auditioning for a job. Auditioning? For a really straightforward band?! Requirement that I MUST have a suitable car! C'mon, say that in somewhere like London, and people won't apply.

I wouldn't ever consider taking 2 days out of my week for rehearals, unless I was obviously doing it on a professional basis. As a musician, I'm more than happy to have very few rehearsals, practice to the music at home to save cost/time, and just gig.
[/quote]

Firstly the car thing. Many of us Londoners have cars, that's why there are so many cars in London. admittedly there is a fairly high amount of commuter traffic but that doesn;t explain the 24/7 vastness of traffic in London. AND we get to 'steer' clear of the rush hours it's actually kind of fun driving in London after Gig down time. I play in bands in London and somtimes I'm the only bloke with wheels, is this frustrating? YES because no-one else is equipped to accomplish ANYTHING. They can't even move around. I have solved the over-reliance issue by moving from VW hatch-back to a proper old time mini "Sorry guys only room for me and my rig, and even that is creatively packed". The bands in London who can at least get there are by far the more promising 'gig wise' too, but in those cases, invariably, I'm the only one without a permanent day job. It's rare to find everything rolled into one batch of folks so yeah I guess, ask for everything.

That's all in support of the wishlist & dream-building, but now.. Telebass. You ought to be be really nice and accommodating.. Build the plan call it a pro gig, build it and they will come. But recognise that you too have a bruisable-ego.. Your responses are as defensive as those who felt attacked, so I think you had better accept that with ego comes the will to succeed. Strip away the ego and you strip away the ambition. (generally speaking) I like to think many of us have the social skills to balance the two, but just leave it out entirely from the wishlist. If you mention it, it probably means it's a problem, and if it's a problem, it's your problem.

In general though YES take the essential matters into your own hands, and build the gig (job done) amp power, ego's these are not gig issues these are your issues. If a guy who you have offerred the gig to on the grounds that he's perfect seems to turn up with a stupid looking stack to a jazz covers club gig well you have to make the call should you have allowed this guy into the band if the answer is yes even with his rig the rig stays until you can convince him it's silly. if the answer is no then why did you choose him?.. you know. distill it all distill it to the essential gig concerns and go to work end of.

Edited by polyrythmmm

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1367439190' post='2065754']
It really depends on why you're rehearsing. There are three scenarios.
1. You're rehearsing because you enjoy playing in a band. You might get some gigs but none of you are that bothered.
2. You're rehearsing because you have a solid plan, a list of songs, a list of potential gigs, and you all want to gig.
3. You're rehearsing because you think being in a band is a cool thing to tell your mates, you've discussed what tunes to play but can't really all agree on any definites, you've got big plans to do loads of gigs at big venues. Tomorrow.

If it's 1 or 2, you're in a band, if it's 3, you're not.
[/quote]

I think if it's 2, you're in a band, if it's 1 or 3, you're not. IMHO, of course. :P

[/quote]

+1 and as many ballots as I can forge. Amazing :D

Dont you just love the people that call you up asking you to join their band then say its two gigs absolute max a month.
Ok you say, if it fits round my other commitments.
Oh, no you can not be in another band, you need to totally "commit" to this band.
And the other 29 days of the month I can not do anything but sit and wait until your band decide to do a gig ?, thats commitment when the rest wont gig the other 3 weekends.
Thats not a band mate, it's someones hobby.
Yet they want to "rehearse" once a week ? every week.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1368087645' post='2072923']
Dont you just love the people that call you up asking you to join their band then say its two gigs absolute max a month.
Ok you say, if it fits round my other commitments.
Oh, no you can not be in another band, you need to totally "commit" to this band.
And the other 29 days of the month I can not do anything but sit and wait until your band decide to do a gig ?, thats commitment when the rest wont gig the other 3 weekends.
Thats not a band mate, it's someones hobby.
Yet they want to "rehearse" once a week ? every week.
[/quote]

Is this hypothetical, or has this actually happened?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368087815' post='2072925']
[/quote]

Did to me. An old mate was the drummer in a function band, had a brass section and three singers, they needed a bass player, sounded great.

The brass and singers existed but didn't do rehearsals. They gave me about 30 songs to learn in a month, I did, well 28 of them, mostly familiar stuff. First rehearsal they then produced another list and asked, one by one, if I knew the songs. We then went through some of them and that was that. Next rehearsal, out came their list again, 'what shall we do?' Went through a few. Then turned out they may have a gig in a several months time. Each rehearsal was costing me a tenner plus petrol, I'd get £100 if we did the gig. hmm. They were nice fellas and I liked to meet up with my old mate so I suggested we made an hour set list from their long list and concentrated on those. 'Good idea' they said.

After one more aimless rehearsal my mate, the drummer, left for a gigging band!

I made my excuses.

What was odd was that they could play pretty well, the keys was particularly good and with good bvs too.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368087815' post='2072925']
[/quote]It happens all the time. I have wasted too much time on this kind of set up and would recommend avoiding at all costs.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1368089570' post='2072956']
I suggested we made an hour set list from their long list and concentrated on those. 'Good idea' they said.
[/quote]

How the hell didn't they think of that? I would have imagined that would have been a lot easier any day for a band playing a few gigs a year rather than learning 100 songs that will never get played. And that's when you know what kind of people you are working with and leave.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368093226' post='2073023']
How the hell didn't they think of that?
[/quote]
because there's loads of people out there who are totally incapable of organising anything, every band needs someone who tries to anticipate problems before they happen, in other words a nurse maid, perhaps that ought to be in the OP's list as well

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1368093791' post='2073029']
because there's loads of people out there who are totally incapable of organising anything, every band needs someone who tries to anticipate problems before they happen, in other words a nurse maid, perhaps that ought to be in the OP's list as well
[/quote]

Yup. Although if the OP is looking to start the band, it will be him for the forseeable future.

I call them 'Bingo' players. You can't practice playing bingo, you can't get good at ticking off numbers and so there is no preparation required. Some people treat their bands like this, just turn up and then think about it. If everyone in the band does the same, its fine. Its fabulously frustrating if you're used to preparing.

All learning, practicing, preparing is done at home, the rehearsal is just to bring it all together playing it as a band. Unless, as someone has pointed out, you are preparing original material, but then its not really a rehearsal then, more a creative time. But even then having your stuff and other thoughts prepared is necessary.

I'm getting old, I know, but I don't have the patience to hang around waiting for people to work stuff out for themselves.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1368093791' post='2073029']
[/quote]

Every band needs an organiser, but lots of bands don't want or welcome such a person. I'm pretty organised, and I used to think this would be welcomed by a band. I'm happy to get involved in booking rehearsal rooms, ensuring that everybody is learning the same version of songs, getting gigs etc. However, the less organised people I play with can be easily spooked by somebody like me (and me by them) and the result can be some tension between the "can't you just [i]feel[/i] it" brigade and the "we only play what we've rehearsed" group. Happens every time. I despair.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1368095124' post='2073050']
Every band needs an organiser, but lots of bands don't want or welcome such a person. I'm pretty organised, and I used to think this would be welcomed by a band. I'm happy to get involved in booking rehearsal rooms, ensuring that everybody is learning the same version of songs, getting gigs etc. However, the less organised people I play with can be easily spooked by somebody like me (and me by them) and the result can be some tension between the "can't you just [i]feel[/i] it" brigade and the "we only play what we've rehearsed" group. Happens every time. I despair.
[/quote]

This thread has got me going. I'm looking to start a band from scratch but I fear I won't be able to because I'm punctual and organised. For example, I attempted to meet up with a singer for coffee recently. After waiting for an hour, I left. We tried twice more and she was late each time. "I don't do late", I said and I was told off for being inflexible and unrealistic when dealing with musicians. I might as well give up forming a band right now then.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1367420217' post='2065424']
You know... I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one on here who LIKES rehearsing! The reason, I get to hang out with people I like and play music and have a laugh. Having done that we can go play some gigs too :D
[/quote]
i like practicing, the whole reason i play in bands is to enjoy playing with like minded people.. obvs i prefer being on stage, but a good group of people means fun times

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1368095692' post='2073057']
This thread has got me going. I'm looking to start a band from scratch but I fear I won't be able to because I'm punctual and organised. For example, I attempted to meet up with a singer for coffee recently. After waiting for an hour, I left. We tried twice more and she was late each time. "I don't do late", I said and I was told off for being inflexible and unrealistic when dealing with musicians. I might as well give up forming a band right now then.
[/quote]

I think with a group of people they are all going to be different. I have a germanic keyboard player who is absolutely punctual, needs to know parking facilities at every gig beforehand and finds flexibility difficult. The drummer is doing well to be less than an hour late to anything but blames everyone else for any time lost. Singers, always 20-30 mins late. They all wind each other up!

I'm not sure what annoys me most, the hour lost to the drummer or the barrage of detailed questions about arrangements months away. I think the hour lost.