Why become a member? ×

Detuning

SteveO

Was just thinking.... I use my yam 375 when playing metal (to get down to a B ) and the squire P when playing everything else. I recon that I´ve not played a note on the G-string on the 5-er for about 3 years. I much prefer playing 4 strings so I´m thinking... how´s about getting rid of the 375, picking up another bass with the usual number of strings and tuning it to BEAD? :)
Has anyone tried this? is there anything to look out for regarding string tension / neck warpage. Would probably look at threading with BEAD strings - I hate the flappyness associated with detuning - which would mean re-cutting or replacing the nut...
I admit that i´ve not thought this through yet - just in idle curiosity stage at the mo. :huh:

Edited by SteveO

Hi Stevo,

The old BEAD 4 string is more common than you think. There was another thread on here which covered the same issue. I'm sure if you put tuning in the search at the top of the screen you'll find it.

I had the same thing, one of the bands I'm in tune to D because the singer can't reach the high notes. Then I found some songs had to go down to C so bought a RBX765 but couldn't get on with it so sold it and am in the process of getting another 4.

You shouldn't need a new nut to put bigger strings on, just file the grooves out a little. If you were to revert back to EADG you would probably need a new nut.

Strange though it may seem... string tension bowing your neck may not be the case. I always thought that thicker strings equaled more tension but when I voiced this opinion on another website I was directed to the D'Addario website where they list all the relative string tensions. It would appear that according to the statistics there is less tension on a B string than an E! Now whether the mass of the string adds/subtracts from the equation I have no idea but looking simply at the various tensions listed it would appear that thicker gauge strings need not equate to more tension on the neck and hence no greater pull on the headstock.

I am more than happy for someone more versed in this to explain why that isn't the case but as it stands the nut dimensions would appear to be the main consideration.

Ahhh feck it. only one way to see and that's to try it, so this here Squire is gonna have it's nuts cut and get restrung tomorrow.
Cheers for that WH, it does make sense, coz tension, mass and length dictate the vibration frequency (I knew that physics GCSE come in useful oneday :)) To get a lower frequency, you can decrease the tension or increase the string mass (or do both).

Anyway. seing as It's a disposable bass the worst that can happen is it ends up in the fire. If it works out then I'll look to spending some cash on a nicer Bass eventually.

Edited by SteveO