Why become a member? ×

So long, George Jones - 'The Possum' dead at 81

skankdelvar

Probably the greatest country singer / songwriter ever. Passed away aged 81, which is probably about 40 years later than most people would have expected, given his colossal substance abuse, drinking and generally wild ways.

Maybe not the best of human beings, but a voice to kill for and songs that cut right to the heart of the matter.

Good obit here:[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/27/arts/music/george-jones-country-singer-dies-at-81.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0"]http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/27/arts/music/george-jones-country-singer-dies-at-81.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0[/url]

Best George Jones story I heard was when Tammy hid his car keys to stop him driving into town pissed, and George took the ride-on lawnmower instead! RIP George.

Edit: just realised that story was on the obit! Have to put Why Baby Why back into the set.

Edited by JapanAxe

A one off , that's for sure .

I heard a story years ago on Mark Lamaar tv or radio thing , about a time when some one went on stage to present him with metal award or something , and he wrestled it off the guy and attacked him with it , cause he assumed he was being attacked . He he

Great country star that's for sure , but a piece of work times . Can't see the modern country guys being remembered in the same way .

A bit early for me to have paid attention too but he was much lauded by some of my fave country artists who are mainly The Highwaymen - Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson.

A hell of a good innings for a hellraiser.

RIP