Why become a member? ×

Don't panic...........

simes

if you plug in and switch on your new amp at rehersal, only to hear.......nothing......check you have not plugged your tuner into the headphone socket instead of of the tuner out socket.

your new amp is make a fizzing noise promanent in the treble registers........if your bass is active, change the battery.

Had both last night and got myself into a flap...wot a numpty :blush:

Si

I thought my amp was broken too last week in rehearsal when it kept cutting out

"F***ing Marshall crap breaking twice in one f***ing year, f***'s sake, piece of f***ing s**t.

Oh hang on my lead is dodgy"

Next time I'll check everything before assuming the worst :lol:

Edited by Jack Cahalane

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1366898484' post='2058737']
I thought my amp was broken too last week in rehearsal when it kept cutting out

"F***ing Marshall crap breaking twice in one f***ing year, f***'s sake, piece of f***ing s**t.

Oh hang on my lead is dodgy"

Next time I'll check everything before assuming the worst :lol:
[/quote]
Brilliant ;)

Orange Micro Terror. Look and guess what I do again and again. :( :angry:

[URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/Orange_Micro_Terror_zps6ed831a7.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r525/basstractor1/Orange_Micro_Terror_zps6ed831a7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1366930657' post='2059283']
Orange Micro Terror. Look and guess what I do again and again. :( :angry:

[url="http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/Orange_Micro_Terror_zps6ed831a7.jpg.html"][/url]

best,
bert
[/quote]

now that is an odd way to turn an amp on....WTF were they thinking?

....I thought this was going to be a thread on coldplay...

Re the Orange. I hadn't noticed either when looking at them before. Both power toggle switch and position of input/headphone sockets very odd logic to me. I guess you get used to anything after a while but you'd think these would have been sorted out way before production started.

Not me directly but what happened to my daughter....

Years ago she was in the Guides and all over the UK they were doing their own version of X-Factor. She was one of the very few that played in a band, most others were either solo singers or duos. They were a trio - bass, guitar and vocal with the drums being a backing track I prepared. Practices were held in my garage with PA so they could learn the song and also get used to the sound as none had been in bands before. In fact they all started to learn to play specifically for the competition!

As part of the practices I would set up the equipment and when they were playing I would switch each of them in and out of the mix. This was to prepare them for the possibility of some on stage "failure" happeining. If it did, they wouldnt be too phased and could carry on regardless. This worked well. The song was getting tight and they were building up their confidence.

Local and regional heats were entered, won and they progressed onto the Scottish finals to be held in Glasgows Royal Concert Hall....in front of 2,500 other Guides, Mums, Dads, Aunties etc. Not a bad audience for their 4th outing! The day came and the girls had been told that a backline would be provided - eg equipment they had not used before. Dress rehearsals / soundchecks etc were done in the morning and the competition started early afternoon. There were about 20 acts, mostly solo singers who just needed a mic and someone to press play on their backing CD. Halfway through the event and it was the girls spot in the limelight. Amps were wheeled on stage by the techies, cable plugged in and then it was just them..... on a huge stage...... with 2,500 screaming girls. The band did just as I'd primed them "play a quick note and say Hi to the audience - it will check that everthing is working". Vocals? Check. Bass? Check. Guitar.....silence......All 2,500 pairs of eyes turned to watch the 14 year old girl on guitar with the "rabbit in headlights" stare who was trying to signal to the stage guys that her guitar was er....rather quiet...like DEAD quiet!

Seconds passed (which to them seemed like an eternity) whilst the techies 1) eventually noticed something was wrong and 2) frantically started checking / replacing / plugging in / out......nothing. Then minutes passed.....many people stood round the amp scratching heads.......meanwhile I'm sat in the middle of the crowd looking at the Marshall head she was using and frantically trying to convey a message via telepathy to the techs to "press the standby switch ON!" There was no way that my lone voice would have found its way to the stage over the deafening high pitched screams and squeals of the crowd. Eventually after what seemed to be a couple of eternities one of the guys found the switch and guitar life was restored.

How 3 very inexperienced and nervous girls who had only just taken up playing managed to handle that and go on to give a great performance that got the biggest cheer of the day I dont know.....well maybe some of it was down to good prep ;)

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1366967387' post='2059505']
I think he plugs his bass into the headphones socket
[/quote]

Yup! My other amps have the input on the left, with the exception of the Terror Bass, but that one doesn't have a headphones output, so I'm secure there.

b,
b

Things I have done that have lead me to think something's stopped working but in reality all was fine:

Left my bass's volume down

Left my tuner on

Not connected the power cable on my Gigrig Distributor properly so my pedal wasn't powered (fortunately had a battery spare)

Had my amp refuse to work, assumed it was the pre-amp tube, taken the head into my local guitar shop, swapped the tube over and then discovered it was my instrument cable

Forgotten to leave my amp on standby for one of the biggest gigs I've done so the first few seconds of the big intro had silence from the bass while it warmed up

Thought there was something wrong with my shiny new custom Mayones with active EMG pickups as it was distorting every note - new battery fixed this - cheap buggers had put half dead batteries in it to test and when it got to me there was little life left in them.

I'm sure there's more....