Why become a member? ×

New member asking for advice

Yvette50

Hi all *waves* I've been a frustrated bass player since I was about 13 and discovered music. This is a very long time ago now! However, I think it's about time I started and I'd like some advice on the best equipment to get.

I love music in general, so I'm not really tied in to a particular genre. I do love Jack Bruce, Jaco Pastorius, Bruce Foxton, I'll always listen to the bassline of a song even before the rest of it registers. That's just where my listening mind goes first.

I'm looking forward to reading the forums and learning as much as I can, then, when I have the skill, exploring the muso within ;)

welcome yvette50!

unfortunately there is nothing like "the best equipment to get".
there is good or not so good gear, expensive or cheap gear, heavy and lightweight gear, but all depends on what your purpose is and what your ear tells you.
enjoy the board.

Welcome!

If you have space, cash and a strong back and Jack Bruce is your man, then you could always buy one of his stacks! Two secondhand full Hartke stacks up for sale at Music Warehouse in Colchester from his 2009 tour evidently.(They are always up for a bit of a haggle too, ask for Lou ;-) )

[url="http://www.musicwarehouse.co.uk/secondhand/981-hartke-hx115-500w-bass-amp-cab-used-by-jack-bruce.html"]http://www.musicwarehouse.co.uk/secondhand/981-hartke-hx115-500w-bass-amp-cab-used-by-jack-bruce.html[/url]

However, back in the real world just try a few bits out and trust your ears.

Have fun.

Bonjour Yvette,

Welcome to BC!
Just start reading every thread that seems interesting in the different sections, and ask questions along the way. Enormous amounts of info will come your way. Always mention a budget - this is the thing most forgotten when people ask for advice. At any rate: there is no real need to buy expensive gear. A £3,000 bass will often perform just as well. ;)

Enjoy!

best,
bert

Hi and welcome to the forum,
The best bass is the one that you can't walk past without giving it a smile and wanting to pick it up and play, and if the sound it makes when it's plugged into whatever amp/cab/combo you have gives you a warm happy feeling :D then you've got the best gear, good luck with your quest and happy playing.

:hi: hi Yvette! The best equipment to get? hmm! well, each to their own.. but there is tons of pre-loved gear in excellent condition out there; especially on Basschat.. it doesn't have to cost the earth.. I've done one or two trades myself and made some friends.. the best equipment is the gear you can just leave set up, plug in & play whenever you can! ..

:crigon_04:

Get down the shops ( hint - not chip shops , that's where druimmers go to buy gear) and try out as many basses as you can to see what feels comfortable in your hands. Try Fender type Precisions and Jazzes as a start point. They're classic designs that are still industry standards. Inexpensive Squiers or Mexican made Fenders are fine.

Just get your hands on stuff - then visit the classifieds on here and you'll find all you want.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1367231991' post='2062767']
Just get your hands on stuff - then visit the classifieds on here and you'll find all you want.
[/quote]

What, you mean step AWAY from the computer and go outside?? :o
It could rain! There might be a wasp! ANYTHING could happen!!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1367232252' post='2062775']

What, you mean step AWAY from the computer and go outside?? :o
It could rain! There might be a wasp! ANYTHING could happen!!
[/quote]

HAha, great!
Welcome, Yvette!

Hello and welcome.
I would echo what most folks say. My starting point was always, and still is 'oh that's a pretty one!', so it visually appealed, now to try it. IMHO, squier's are a good starting point.
Hope that helps!