Why become a member? ×

Protec Small Mixer Case PA-1212

Roland Rock

I needed a sturdy, protective case for my Streamliner. Looking on BC, it seemed that the only two options were the Gig Skinz small mixer bag, or the Genz Benz case. The Gig Skinz one seemed to be better quality and more sturdy, but I'm not a big fan of the 'street' style graphics. Anyway, neither of them seemed to be available anywhere in the UK. Several places claimed to have the Gig Skinz, but they were lying :-)

Then I came across the Protec Small mixer case. As with the Gig Skinz, it's really for a DJ's mixer, but also fits many of the common digital bass amps such as GB Streamliner and Shuttle, Little Mark etc.
I have a Protec Contego bass case and love it (the Mono M80 is currently gathering dust in the loft), so know the quality is good. And it works out a bit cheaper. I got it from Thomann:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/protec_small_mixer_case.htm"]http://www.thomann.d..._mixer_case.htm[/url]

I suppose the "1212" in the name refers to the internal dimensions being about 12" squared.

Well, I got it, and am very happy. As you can see from the pics, it fits the Streamliner perfectly front to back, and there is some space on the sides, but no movement due to the sturdy, soft Velcro strap.

I'm also pleased to report that it is even more sturdy than the Contego case! I don't know whether Protec have upped their game recently, but the main zip is mega heavy duty, and I'm super confident that the head is protected.

The inside is that kind of 'egg carton' foam, and this was not obvious from the website. Works well though.

Other than that, it has sturdy feet on the bottom (opposite the handle), has a pocket for cables and stuff (not padded, so no delicates in there) and a dinky phone pocket on the side. There is also a detachable shoulder strap, and the label says this can convert to a backpack strap, but I've not bothered trying this.

So that's it. I've not seen this mentioned anywhere, so though it might be useful for those looking for an amp case in this time of Gig Skinz drought.

Edited by Roland Rock