Jump to content
MoJoKe

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

Recommended Posts

https://www.eventtechnik3000.ch/LD-Systems-U5047-IEM-In-Ear-Monitoring-System

£305 worth in Swiss money... 

https://www.adamhall.com/shop/ad-es/equipos-de-sonido-y-megafonia/monitorizacion/sistema-de-monitorizacion-personal-in-ear/20315/u504.7-iem

£300 worth in Euros...

So half the price of the PSM300 with the standard pack.

With the extra information posted, looks like (from a UK point of view), they are catering for shared mic license ch38... and channel 70 (and also covering off 823-832 - but you'll need a license to run those frequencies legally).

Quite a nice looking unit... and if it sounds right too, they should sell a fair few units!

Anyway... if you look at - https://www.ld-systems.com/en/in-ear-monitoring/

You can see that LD are certainly gunning for the IEM market with the introduction of things 30x and 50x. Now just to figure out what all the differences are...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, I've been geeking out over the Wisycom IEMs that have finally hit the UK...

 

MPR50-IEM.jpg?fit=1000,1000&ssl=1

Yum.

MTK952_0.jpg

Yum, yum.

 

However... transmitter (2 channels) £4.4k ... and receivers are 1.5k a piece.

7.5k for a pair then.... as opposed to 4.5k for the Shure PSM1000 or the Lectrosonics Duet.

 

Oh well, there goes that pipe dream. All of a sudden, my attention turns back to the LD offerings...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a bit of a soft spot for the LD IEM systems - I started with an MEI 100 system and, apart from the obvious differences in spec and construction compared to my current Sennheiser EW300G3 system, it did a rather good job for the money. The new LD IEM Tx/Rx look very nice - I’d certainly be considering them as a backup / second rig or a main setup if i didn’t have the EW300

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The seemingly endless ordeal to get my 900s' that i bought repaired or replaced has finally ended with me getting all my money back. That's only taken four months. Remind me not to buy things on ebay again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LiamPodmore said:

The seemingly endless ordeal to get my 900s' that i bought repaired or replaced has finally ended with me getting all my money back. That's only taken four months. Remind me not to buy things on ebay again.

Oh jeez, were they the last batch of the "imports" ? So what's your move now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LiamPodmore said:

The seemingly endless ordeal to get my 900s' that i bought repaired or replaced has finally ended with me getting all my money back. That's only taken four months. Remind me not to buy things on ebay again.

I've got a pair of UE900s that i no longer use if you're interested ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Oh jeez, were they the last batch of the "imports" ? So what's your move now? 

I ordered some KS10's the other day just to use in the meantime so i'll give those a good test tomorrow.

6 hours ago, intime-nick said:

I've got a pair of UE900s that i no longer use if you're interested ?

Thanks, i'll drop you a PM later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/04/2019 at 16:04, EBS_freak said:

https://www.eventtechnik3000.ch/LD-Systems-U5047-IEM-In-Ear-Monitoring-System

£305 worth in Swiss money... 

https://www.adamhall.com/shop/ad-es/equipos-de-sonido-y-megafonia/monitorizacion/sistema-de-monitorizacion-personal-in-ear/20315/u504.7-iem

£300 worth in Euros...

So half the price of the PSM300 with the standard pack.

With the extra information posted, looks like (from a UK point of view), they are catering for shared mic license ch38... and channel 70 (and also covering off 823-832 - but you'll need a license to run those frequencies legally).

Quite a nice looking unit... and if it sounds right too, they should sell a fair few units!

Anyway... if you look at - https://www.ld-systems.com/en/in-ear-monitoring/

You can see that LD are certainly gunning for the IEM market with the introduction of things 30x and 50x. Now just to figure out what all the differences are...

I contacted LD Systems today. They expect that the U508 IEM will be available in the UK from about August and be about £300.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GrahamT said:

I contacted LD Systems today. They expect that the U508 IEM will be available in the UK from about August and be about £300.

I guess at this point we don't mention Br......it??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm coming in cold here so forgive me.  We're using a behringer X32 desk with PM1 headphone amps (wired) at church.

Can anyone shortlist some wired non-moulded quad driver IEMs (for a bassist and drummer) that I can look at?

Regards

Davo

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Davo-London said:

I'm coming in cold here so forgive me.  We're using a behringer X32 desk with PM1 headphone amps (wired) at church.

Can anyone shortlist some wired non-moulded quad driver IEMs (for a bassist and drummer) that I can look at?

Regards

Davo

 

 

ZT ZS10 (4 BA, 1 Dyn), ZT AS10, (5 BA) UE900s (4 BA), BQEYZ K2/KC2 (2 Dyn, 2 BA),  are probably your go to multi driver universals without breaking the bank. (well, maybe the UE900 is a bit more pricey!) I'd take all of those over a Shure 215-535 for live monitoring purposes.

If you want to spend more than that, don't on a universal. Go for a UE6 or explore what Lugs can do for you (they have recently gone 3d printed shells now so are really gunning for the big boys)

Edited by EBS_freak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got these and play bass in almost the identical set-up you describe. They're not completely sound isolating and have a good level of bass frequency...they are only dual drivers but that seems like plenty to me. They do have a triple driver for more money!!

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Shure-SE425-Sound-Isolating-Earphones-Clear/J35

Before those I had a set of these : https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Westone-UM-Pro-20-Earphones-Clear/2DPI they were really excellent until I stood on them!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've looked through a few pages of this thread, but realised since it started, there any many new products on the market.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for wireless systems that don't need a license. Up to now, I've worked with a show where they provide wireless packs. I'm working with another show and need to be mobile and I'm considering getting my own unit. What can you recommend that isn't too expensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, natjag said:

I've looked through a few pages of this thread, but realised since it started, there any many new products on the market.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for wireless systems that don't need a license. Up to now, I've worked with a show where they provide wireless packs. I'm working with another show and need to be mobile and I'm considering getting my own unit. What can you recommend that isn't too expensive. 

I wouldn’t recommend cheap wireless.

But if you are looking for license free, you are looking at 863-865Mhz (channel 70). You will typically get 2, 3 or 4 devices in that piece of spectrum depending on what you are using. Assume the worst in terms of number of units unless you are using identical pieces of kit. This may cause you problems if there’s not some sort of coordination going on and everybody is turning up with random bits of kit.

Something like a venue  in-house/DJ mic could cause you headaches.

Ill state the minimum that I’d recommend which is the EW300 G3/G4 for Sennheiser, or the PSM 300 (with pro pack) for Shure. In reality, I’d always recommend the Sennheiser as it has the ability to tune specific frequencies to work alongside other devices, whereas the PSM300 can only work on predetermined, fixed frequencies... which makes things difficult when working with other kit, especially if that other kit is also limited to fixed frequencies.

You may want to look at these new LD systems units as they could offer up something at the right price.

Hope this helps.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you wireless on your bass? A combo instrument/IEM cable may be a cheaper option and give you a better sound quality than a cheaper wireless unit.

Edited by EBS_freak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Are you wireless on your bass? A combo instrument/IEM cable may be a cheaper option and give you a better sound quality than a cheaper wireless unit.

Thanks for both your replies. I'm not on wireless for my bass, I think guitarists are. I do have a fixed wired pack Behringer P1. However for one show, I keep tripping over the lead each time I step back. One show includes shadows music complete with walks. I'll check out those LD systems once they are on the market. I think it's always better to get user reviews and experience first before making any purchases. Saves making an expensive mistake. 

Edited by natjag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, natjag said:

Thanks for both your replies. I'm not on wireless for my bass, I think guitarists are. I do have a fixed wired pack Behringer P1. However for one show, I keep tripping over the lead each time I step back. One show includes shadows music complete with walks. I'll check out those LD systems once they are on the market. I think it's always better to get user reviews and experience first before making any purchases. Saves making an expensive mistake. 

If you aren't on wireless, consider getting something like this - 

https://www.designacable.com/catalog/product/view/id/4756/s/combo-cable-for-iem-systems-in-ear-monitoring-instrument-and-stereo-headphone/category/221/

OBBM can make you one up too.

That way, you only have the one cable to worry about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

If you aren't on wireless, consider getting something like this - 

https://www.designacable.com/catalog/product/view/id/4756/s/combo-cable-for-iem-systems-in-ear-monitoring-instrument-and-stereo-headphone/category/221/

OBBM can make you one up too.

That way, you only have the one cable to worry about.

That's interesting. Excuse my ignorance on this. Would that mean that the IE pack sits on top of my bass amp (or DI) rather than my belt? Then both ends start from the same place.
The problem I have in the cable behind me. The guitar lead comes out the front on my bass, I don't put it through the strap like many players do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending upon where you want your volume control to sit, you could have a cable made up so your headphone amp is on top of your bass amp or on your belt. They key thing is that the cable is multicore and sends everything down one "cable".

If your setup works with the cable coming out of the front of the bass, theres no reason why the IEM portion couldnt spur off to your belt and effectively give you what you have with just the instrument cable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any experience with the CCA C10s? I've done a bit of research online and there seems to be quite a few bass players who prefer these over the KZ range (although I understand both companies are connected). This is my first step into IEM. I have already ordered the Behringer P2. Two of the other guys in the band have Lugs and wireless units, with only the drummer using these on a regular basis so far, but unfortunately my funds don't enable me to splash several hundred pounds on these just now. We have a new A&H SQ 5 desk and are all moving to IEs very soon. Like others have posted here, I'm trying to put together the best budget set up I can. Thanks for any advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People looking for a nice set of UE900s may want to look at the HQ12s currently on offer at our favourite Chinese shop - 

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32956683162.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&spider=y&productId=32956683162&productSubject=Yinyoo-HQ12-12BA-in-Ear-Earphone-Custom-Made-Balanced-Armature-Around-Ear-Earphone-Headset-Earbuds-With

(that’s 12 BA per side in a universal for just over the price of a UE900 quad)

Or if you want to get under 200, there’s a great deal on the 10 BA units too -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yinyoo-HQ10-10BA-in-Ear-Earphone-Custom-Made-Balanced-Armature-Around-Ear-Earphone-Headset-Earbuds-With/32917746801.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2019 at 23:22, sPiKi said:

Does anyone have any experience with the CCA C10s? I've done a bit of research online and there seems to be quite a few bass players who prefer these over the KZ range (although I understand both companies are connected). This is my first step into IEM. I have already ordered the Behringer P2. Two of the other guys in the band have Lugs and wireless units, with only the drummer using these on a regular basis so far, but unfortunately my funds don't enable me to splash several hundred pounds on these just now. We have a new A&H SQ 5 desk and are all moving to IEs very soon. Like others have posted here, I'm trying to put together the best budget set up I can. Thanks for any advice.

Not had any experience - I stopped buying cheaper IEMs as I found out I started filling a drawer with then and started giving them away to people. Not a great way of me hanging onto money! Anyway, the C10s review favourably it would seem with the inevitable split of people preferring one over the other. In reality, without A Bing them next door to each other, both will perform comparably in a gigging situation. If budget is an issue, go for the cheapest and put the money aside to work towards customs if you find IEMs are your thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2019 at 13:59, EBS_freak said:

I’ll just leave this here...

3E25F466-F9F0-4BC7-BD4C-FDA66AB126EA.jpeg

OK... so behind the scenes, things are progressing nicely...

Migrated from all the hand built prototypes and getting covered in sawdust... to a CNCed board. The fabulous @intime-nick is out tonight road testing cnc prototype #1 to see what he thinks of it. Obviously, this board is without the cosmetics and the moulded rubber pad and the like, but the construction is all looking good and all being well, the feedback is uniformly good across the board and highly responsive like the hand built prototypes.

Already learned a bit about where we can make improvements but pretty stoked at how things are looking.

Hopefully you can see that this board is completely usable and portable enough not to be a nightmare to move around... even great for stages that are a lot smaller than your stadium gigs! (which is the point - IEMs in pubs rock too!)

Let us know what you think!

 

prototype_3.jpg

prototype_2.jpg

prototype_1.jpg

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...