Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

On 15/08/2018 at 15:21, EBS_freak said:

I noticed that nobody commented on my binaural adventures.... maybe I can interest you with this one instead?

Bubbles - Yosi Horikawa. Such fun to listen to... Only really works on headphones though due to the binaural mics that were used to capture it all. Anyway, grab your IEMs (works better than headphones as it removes the influence of the pinna completely)

And it's on Youtube - 

In fact, if you got Spotify, all of Yosi's stuff is worth a listen. The sub drops on Wandering are fun.

I absolutely must listen to these as I LOVE binaural - anything that fools our senses I find exciting. Even sleight of hand tricks have me laughing at how easy it is to confuse! 

On 15/08/2018 at 15:21, EBS_freak said:

I noticed that nobody commented on my binaural adventures.... maybe I can interest you with this one instead?

Bubbles - Yosi Horikawa. Such fun to listen to... Only really works on headphones though due to the binaural mics that were used to capture it all. Anyway, grab your IEMs (works better than headphones as it removes the influence of the pinna completely)

And it's on Youtube - 

In fact, if you got Spotify, all of Yosi's stuff is worth a listen. The sub drops on Wandering are fun.

That's interesting, as I've found that IEMs and big cans do a great job of left to right spacial awareness but really don't seem to have any height or front to back translation. My IEMs and my DT770's fail to get the full effect. However (and I don't have them anymore) a set of earphones that sit actually on your Pinna flat provided the best 3D spacial experience. I think they were a set of Sony monitoring earphones and not particularly expensive ones. The effect is further enhanced if the recording device's microphones are in an ear canal rather than just in the vicinity of the ear too. Ideally the Pinna should be as close to the same shape on both source and destination but hey, that's pretty impossible unless you're listening to your own recordings ha ha!!

It's a take on the Peli 1010 case. Your's is more than half the price though - so you can't argue with that! Is it airtight? - has it got a pressure relief valve? Only reason I ask is that I got caught out with such a case when I went on a plane. Couldn't open the bloomin' thing because it hadn't got a pressure relief valve! 😛

You do realise that you've now opened a whole new world of geekery in this thread. Didn't your IEMs come in the original 1964 case with the natty cut out foam interior? Why the change? Incidentally, I think the new 64 audio case is pretty stellar. Not the most attractive case out there, certainly compared to the cf offerings from JH - but for functionality, I'm mega impressed.

1964 case with foam insert -

1964ears-1441217456-1964oldCase2_accesso

64 audio case with all the tool holders and apex module holders -

1964ears-1511977265-XL_CASE_LORS.png

JH CF case -

5927411_l.jpg

I actually like the design of the roundels - but don't think that they are as good for holding all the accessories and the like...

ugaga9en.jpg

The UE round case though... man, lust.

UERR-4.jpg

and for completeness -

10727305_567015720111598_1883408512_n.jp

26 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

It's a take on the Peli 1010 case. Your's is more than half the price though - so you can't argue with that! Is it airtight? - has it got a pressure relief valve? Only reason I ask is that I got caught out with such a case when I went on a plane. Couldn't open the bloomin' thing because it hadn't got a pressure relief valve! 😛

You do realise that you've now opened a whole new world of geekery in this thread. Didn't your IEMs come in the original 1964 case with the natty cut out foam interior? Why the change? Incidentally, I think the new 64 audio case is pretty stellar. Not the most attractive case out there, certainly compared to the cf offerings from JH - but for functionality, I'm mega impressed.

1964 case with foam insert -

1964ears-1441217456-1964oldCase2_accesso

64 audio case with all the tool holders and apex module holders -

1964ears-1511977265-XL_CASE_LORS.png

JH CF case -

5927411_l.jpg

I actually like the design of the roundels - but don't think that they are as good for holding all the accessories and the like...

ugaga9en.jpg

The UE round case though... man, lust.

UERR-4.jpg

and for completeness -

10727305_567015720111598_1883408512_n.jp

Yes indeed it really is just a cheap Peli! - It does have a rubber seal but I would say this case is splash proof rather than airtight so I wouldn't foresee too many problems.. I wasn't expecting it to be great for the money, it was more bash protection I was after so I am actually really impressed.

Yes, I have two different sizes of case from @64 Audio. They are still housing my IEMs. I actually prefer using the larger case at the moment - but they always end up in my flight case anyway so the size of the Peli isn't a problem. What I was actually after was a little pouch to hang around my neck on a lanyard for my Ear Plugs. The ones from various IEM providers including 64 don't have a hanging loop. Whilst I was searching I found this little "Peli" which is not only solid but does have a really good loop to attach it to well, anything. This little box is much, much smaller. it's width is just 8cm odd, hence why I'd mentioned that you might squeeze some IEMs in there but earplugs, no problem!

I think the next step for lanyard style holders (temporary storage) would be to talk to our own 3D printing genius @intime-nick ... Now that could unleash all sorts of geekiness! I basically want Nick to build everything I can think of ha ha!

Edited by dood

41 minutes ago, intime-nick said:

now that's an idea - if i can get the 3D scan data from the impressions, i could make a custom fit insert for a case....nooooooo, i'm too busy with blooming drums & percussion designs at the moment - don't get me side-tracked !!

I wouldn't bother personally. My JH were a pain in the backside fitting into the custom cradle. In fact, I'm pretty sure they've dumped it now and just have the case. It was fiddly trying to get the ear pieces in because there was no flex in the cradle. Functionally, I think the latest 64 case is probably the best.

@EBS_freak AS10's just arrived.

They look rather nice! The presentation is also a step up verses the previous models I bought.

They also seem much smaller than the other model too. I have included a (slightly worn ha ha) plectrum in the images to compare. I also have a second (spare) cable in the bag too!!! How cool is that??!

IMG_3612.JPG

fullsizeoutput_5c5b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5c61.jpeg

IMG_3615.JPG

IMG_3618.JPG

Yeah, they don't look bad do they? Not that I'm fussed for the packaging... but they've clearly made an effort. 

Reports say kick in the bass, recessed mids and treble - so I'm guessing it's not going to be that great for critical listening, although it could be great for onstage with no EQ. It depends what happens to vocals I guess. 

Interesting... may have to see if I can get a listen on a pair. Where did you source these ones from?

Just got my quad customs back from Rob at LUGS - they needed a slight tweak to the RH fit (most likely caused by a slightly 'off' ear impression as although they sealed well, it just felt slightly looser than the LH)

Anyway, he decided to remake them as the end result would be better - i also took the opportunity to change the colour from red & blue faceplates/clear shell to all black with clear thermosoft tips and, hindsight being a wonderful thing, is how I should have ordered them originally and improves the look (to me anyway)

Soundwise - great so far, nice balance, plenty of low and high extension with no obvious gaps in the mids.  I have some UE900s so I will be swapping between the two over the next day or so as, whilst they have the same number of drivers, it'll be interesting to compare the sound differences (if any - my cloth ears aren't what you might call audiophile quality !!)

Next gig in a couple of weeks so I'll be able to give them a proper test - will report back afterwards

As a side-note, Rob at LUGS is extremely helpful and accommodating, answering my many questions quickly and in detail.  The quality of the product seems good - the pricing is excellent (£380 for the quads incl. recessed sockets and thermosoft tips) and the turnaround time is great - 2 weeks from impressions to delivery. 

edit - excuse the marks on the shells....ahem....i didn't wipe them down before taking the pic !!

2018-08-24 14.39.26.jpg

Edited by intime-nick

They look great - and the colour change has made them look a lot more pro in my book. Isn't it odd how the choice of colours can completely transform the end product. Not that I thought the mk1 issues were bad... I just think that this colour scheme has lifted them a step.

I think that sometimes, the choosing of the colour can be the making or breaking of an IEM... and I've seen some pretty naff artworks and combinations that are just simply, well... hideous. But each to their own I guess.

I also really like the contrast of pearl/white cables with black shells and they look really nicely made to be fair. There doesn't seem to be any obvious bubbles and the transition to the soft tips looks really sharp also.

Those soft tips still look like they are easy to keep free of wax. One of my biggest gripes with opaque shells is that you can't see through them to see if the tubes are free of wax. The soft tips give you the best of both worlds; the solid shell look and the ability to see to clean them!

I like them. I'd quite like a pair :o

On 24/08/2018 at 16:56, EBS_freak said:

They look great - and the colour change has made them look a lot more pro in my book. Isn't it odd how the choice of colours can completely transform the end product. Not that I thought the mk1 issues were bad... I just think that this colour scheme has lifted them a step.

I think that sometimes, the choosing of the colour can be the making or breaking of an IEM... and I've seen some pretty naff artworks and combinations that are just simply, well... hideous. But each to their own I guess.

I also really like the contrast of pearl/white cables with black shells and they look really nicely made to be fair. There doesn't seem to be any obvious bubbles and the transition to the soft tips looks really sharp also.

Those soft tips still look like they are easy to keep free of wax. One of my biggest gripes with opaque shells is that you can't see through them to see if the tubes are free of wax. The soft tips give you the best of both worlds; the solid shell look and the ability to see to clean them!

I like them. I'd quite like a pair :o

I’d be really keen to know how the quad LUGS sound. Was considering the UE6 but given these could be a couple hundred quid cheaper, definitely on my radar.

Edited by largo

On 24/08/2018 at 15:16, EBS_freak said:

Yeah, they don't look bad do they? Not that I'm fussed for the packaging... but they've clearly made an effort. 

Reports say kick in the bass, recessed mids and treble - so I'm guessing it's not going to be that great for critical listening, although it could be great for onstage with no EQ. It depends what happens to vocals I guess. 

Interesting... may have to see if I can get a listen on a pair. Where did you source these ones from?

I dont know if I like them. I bought them from AliExpress and got a little discount on my first purchase. Like the previous KZ's I had I found them difficult to get in my ears even with the smallest flangey dudes. Maybe that's the problem but at the moment the sound isn't doing it for me. I'm not sure if I can send them back / sell them on.

They aren’t ever going to compete against your 8s dood. That’s why you are paying the money for the 64s. Tuning is a bit part of it and KZ just don’t compete in the same arena.

The strongpoint is the headroom over something like a 215. For critical listening, they will never feature - but for monitoring, they do the job better than most for headroom alone. You have to start spending some serious money to get headroom and IEMs sounding right.

6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

They aren’t ever going to compete against your 8s dood. That’s why you are paying the money for the 64s. Tuning is a bit part of it and KZ just don’t compete in the same arena.

The strongpoint is the headroom over something like a 215. For critical listening, they will never feature - but for monitoring, they do the job better than most for headroom alone. You have to start spending some serious money to get headroom and IEMs sounding right.

In all honesty I was comparing against my recollection of the KZ ZS10. Maybe I’m wrong, but the AS10 is yet to ‘wow me at this price point’ like the KZ10. 

So, my mate took delivery of his A12ts this morning after our trip of testing out IEMs (remember - the guy who was set on the JH Laylas, his current IEMs are ACS triples (T1s)). My phones has been hot this morning with messages of him being elated with the purchase.

"OH MY GOD"

"Sounds so wide - its actually quite disconcerting - it's HUGE"

"Bass blew my c**k off"

"So this is how IEMs are meant to fit!"

"Fallen in love with music again good"

"The fit is incredible"

"These are so good I genuinely feel sad that most people will never know them"

And because we all like photos...

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

I also think they look amazing in all clear - given everything that is going on inside of them!

What a great time to be living - IEMs have never been so good. ZS10s through to UE, JH, and 64... some incredible stuff out there.

And yes, I'm still distracted by those UE6s - I suspect that's what I'll be recommending to people at the Drum Show when they inevitably ask.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

Yes Russ ,Cant wait mate . After hearing them and going back to the ACS things .Its driving me nuts 😡. gigging last night sounded like I was playing through a bass fuzz pedal 😳.Roll on Roxanne's. Hopefully the end of next week ,but I think Pauls got a show on all weekend ? . Those A12S look the bizz ,chickened out listening to them due to the price but loved the N8S . Counting the days till the Roxys turn up . Hope all is good with Russ . Will post some pics and post about how I am getting on with them compared to the ACS Emotion things when I get them . Regards Andy 👊🍻🍻

2 minutes ago, andysg42 said:

Yes Russ ,Cant wait mate . After hearing them and going back to the ACS things .Its driving me nuts 😡. gigging last night sounded like I was playing through a bass fuzz pedal 😳.Roll on Roxanne's. Hopefully the end of next week ,but I think Pauls got a show on all weekend ? . Those A12S look the bizz ,chickened out listening to them due to the price but loved the N8S . Counting the days till the Roxys turn up . Hope all is good with Russ . Will post some pics and post about how I am getting on with them compared to the ACS Emotion things when I get them . Regards Andy 👊🍻🍻

Ah - they'll come in no time at all. When Roxannes first came out, it was like a crazy 6 month wait time! There was a lot of frustrated people - me included! I think given the advances in manufacturing and their expanded operations, they are currently hitting around a couple of weeks... which is pretty incredible. When JH first emerged, it was running 6-8 weeks turn around on acrylic (e.g. non CF - which caused them an absolute nightmare) models. Just shows eh?

I know there's the Drum Show at the end of the month - don't know whats happening this weekend in IEM world otherwise. All I know is, I'm hoping to spend it on my backside as I haven't had a weekend off in ages.

You're going to love the Roxannes, they are a very cool piece... certainly one of my favourites - and you certainly aren't going to have any bass, distortion or headroom issues with them. You'll go deaf way, way before they run out of steam! 😛

Looking forward to hearing your views on your new arrivals. Always keen to hear how people are getting on with their new purchases. Talking of which, really looking forward to @intime-nick's post gig update with his new Lugs, which look to be pretty special too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, andytoad said:

Whats the view on UE11 pros or is there better out there for the price point? The web says specifically for bass players..

So what you are looking at is basically a quad with balanced armatures - as soon as you get a dual BA in the bass, you are into the realms of bass players as that dual low is where you need the most headroom to avoid distortion.

To be honest, if you are looking at UE, the main competition is going to be 64 and JH Audio... and all of their quads are really good but all of them have a slightly different sound signature. If you do an A/B/C test of say a UE11 vs a JH11 vs a A4t (all around the 1k mark, with JH being the cheapest quad at 800 (note : that is not indicative of it's performance, it can easily sit on a level playing field with the A4t and UE), you're bound to favour one of the tunings over the other... and that's the one you should go for. At that price point and with those manufacturers, there's not really a better, just different. If you were to buy blind without listening to any of them, you will be happy with any of them. If you want to be more critical in your selection, you really need to listen to them side by side. The only other significant difference is that the 64s have the apex filter - which some people hate the look of immediately and will discount 64 for that reason alone. Some people actually think the apex filter is a strong selling point as it can help alleviate ear fatigue. That may be enough to sway you to 64. Others think that the apex filter is just snake oil. In short, you need to audition them all.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

Tested a lot 2 weeks ago at Custom iem co . I liked the ue11s but for a £100 more the JH 13V2 really were brilliant ,adjustable bass , 4 high 2 mid 2 low . but everyones ears are different ,worth trying them back to back . well worth the 2 and 1/2 hour drive for me up to the custom iem co .

34 minutes ago, andysg42 said:

Tested a lot 2 weeks ago at Custom iem co . I liked the ue11s but for a £100 more the JH 13V2 really were brilliant ,adjustable bass , 4 high 2 mid 2 low . but everyones ears are different ,worth trying them back to back . well worth the 2 and 1/2 hour drive for me up to the custom iem co .

Good point - the adjustable bass feature on the higher JH models is a strong point for some.

DOnt know whats happening in Behringer world...

But this may be a good time to get on the digital mixer bus (no pun intended) at a more affordable price...

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-X-AIR-XR18-Digital-Mixer/18DJ

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-X32-RACK-Digital-Mixing-Console/PNO

4 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

DOnt know whats happening in Behringer world...

But this may be a good time to get on the digital mixer bus (no pun intended) at a more affordable price...

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-X-AIR-XR18-Digital-Mixer/18DJ

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-X32-RACK-Digital-Mixing-Console/PNO

That's insane prices. How much better than the XR18 is the X32 rack? 

20 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

That's insane prices. How much better than the XR18 is the X32 rack? 

Err... a bazillion. Depends if you are going to make use of the features though. (Much more comprehensive and feature rich DSP than the XR18 - and of course, the expansion cards).

It means that the average band is going to be able to run stereo inears for everybody, there's the options of the snakes - which now seem to be dirt cheap also. If you are sitting on the fence as to whether you should change, what I would do is keep the XR18 as a backup and invest in the X32 for sure. The extra IO alone is worth it. Thats a crazy amount of mixer for the money.

Edited by EBS_freak