Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

Whilst looking into the above system, I stumbled across http://myxyr.com/

It seems to take a very similar approach... but I found this page a little disturbing

https://myxyr.com/en/index.php/how/live-audio-timing.html

For Live audio, it is important to have no latency.  This means, Myxyr does not do any buffering, any millisecond of audio is passed as quick as possible to your ears. To accomplish this, Myxyr uses a dedicated WLAN connection and transmits the audio signal over UDP.  TCP is only used in the data connection for controlling your mix.

A view on average latency timings:

• Analogue Audio comes in over a cable. this is electrical signal with practically no latency even with long cables. However some guitar effects deliver audio with a bit of latency.  
  • The AD conversion in most professional PA mixers produces less than 10ms latency. Fortunately most of the less professional equipment also stays far below 20ms. E.g. a popular device like the Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0 manages to stay below 12ms
  • The USB transmission from mixer to PC takes a few ms, the Windows ASIO driver may add some 2-3 ms more. 
  • The DAW program will buffer the digital audio input again, may pass it through some compression filtering again, may need to convert the signal rate. Depending on the number of channels, timers and message loops introduce some more, so until Myxyr 'finally' receives its input signal, some 5ms have passed.  

So in total, Myxyr has to live with an input delay of approximately 20ms

• Myxyr Cast processes the incoming audio in real-time and moves it into Wi-Fi buffers with 3ms of audio. 
  • Wi-Fi transmission takes practically no time, merely 1-2 ms, before Myxyr Ear gets the data
  • Myxyr Live Ear converts the WLAN buffers to 6ms buffers and passes the audio to the audio driver.
  • The device audio driver plays this audio as sound.

It makes for the total Myxyr processing a sound latency of approximately 10-12ms.

Significant timing setting

• Set your ASIO frame rate lower than the default 512, e.g. 128 samples. That is 3ms of audio

A total latency of 30ms is comparable to a speaker distance of 10m.

....Hmm. Given that IEM delay should ideally exist somewhere between 0-5ms with 10ms being at the very top end of acceptable (although some people will find 10ms already far too high), I think the figures are somewhat disappointing. Yes, saying 30ms is the same as standing 10m from a speaker is one thing... but having a delay of 30ms from your singing voice and the monitor feed being plugged directly into your ears is unacceptable.

I'm not entirely sold on the statement around the latency figures on most professional PA mixers produces less than 10ms latency. This figure is more realistically <3ms for even non professional mixers.

If Audio Fusion have nailed the low latency performance of audio transmission (I can see them running some highly optimised code) I would be very interested in how they got around the native wifi latency...

Edited by EBS_freak

Just a shout out, for those that are still not sure about IEM monitors, I'm going to be at a couple of guitar/bass shows with Paul from Custom In Ear Monitors

- DISCLAIMER, I don't work for Custom In Ear Monitors, he's just asked me along for some help as things can get busy at the show and also because I have accumulated a fair bit of experience from CIEMs and making them work from pub situations through to big stages. Feel free to come and ask some questions and check out IEMs. :)

On the stand there should be a selection of monitors from JH Audio, 64 and Ultimate Ears in universal form so you can get an idea of what they are about and what they sound like. It's a good opportunity to have a look at what's on offer from all those manufacturers in just one place... and then there's all the other guitar/bass stuff to distract you. So maybe worth a trip if you have an interest in IEM. 

The Guitar Show - New Bingley Hall, Birmingham. 24-25 February 2018.

http://www.theguitarshow.co.uk/

The week after, I shall be at the big one in the bass calendar...

The London Bass Guitar Show - Olympia, London. 3-4 March 2018.

http://www.londonbassguitarshow.com/

Of course, I can't really divulge anything because I simply don't know at this stage (I'll find out on the day like everybody else)... but the 3 manufacturers tend to do show deals when the CIEM company are exhibiting... so if you are tempted to pull the trigger, it could be worthwhile, especially on the higher models where savings were in three figures at the drum show. 

Edited by EBS_freak

Sennheiser IEM G4 stuff for April. Watch out for bargains on G3!

From what I've been reading and from guys that have taken the boards apart, there doesn't seem to be any difference in the G4 to the G3 performance wise. I've read that it's better on channel utilisation and there is increased functionality on the network control side... but the lack of dual diversity and compander, etc have stayed the same.

Interesting to see Nathan East has got a signature IEM via 64 Audio. "Industry first" for a signature IEM apparently. Raises my eye a little - especially as not too long ago, JH Audio quite publicly collaborated with Slash to produce the hybrid Lola. OK, it hasn't got Slash's name on the final product - but there's no secret that the R and D happened alongside Slash, pretty much, as I'd imagine, like it did with Nathan and 64. And certainly... ACS' George Martin signature was out way before either of them - http://acssignatureseries.com/product/sir-george-martin/

Anyway, Nathan's signature is 8 drivers with an additional dynamic low driver... Called the N8t - which is cute.

1 hour ago, dand666 said:

EBS,

After much discussing, I may just go down the Custom IEM route via there website as I can pay via PayPal credit, saves me spending £700-£1000 in one go!

Would you go for the UE 11's or the 64 Audios? The 64's are expensiveeeee

The UE11s are cheaper than the A4s, the 64 equivalent - unless you are looking at a 64 with a lower driver count. Between the two quad driver options (UE11 and A4), there's no wrong option. Go for a quad though. Choose it based on colours or which name you lilke the best if you want. They both sound different to each other as they are tuned slightly differently... but to be honest, either is going to job better than you could imagine - and you'll only appreciate the subtle differences between the two if you are A/Bing them back and forth. Hey, you may even want to go with the Apex option if you believe that that offers some sort of advantage!

With regards to 64 though... I don't really know whats happening in the imminent future. I suspect the range is going to be refreshed with the Tia driver... as at NAMM, they announced the A4t. The A4 may become obsolete - in which case it may be worth going for that now before the A4t comes in, as I suspect the A4t will come with a price rise. I don't know for certain though. Maybe in you speak to Paul at CIEM he may be able to advise - but I suspect he hasn't had the pricing through yet. It would be unlike 64 to offer a blow out on the A4 model - they may even keep offering both the A4 and A4t models... I don't know. You may not even care about all the Tia driver stuff!

Update - @dand666 - going what happened with the A12 -> A12t where the A12t replaced the A12 in it's entirety, I am guessing that the new releases that were announced at NAMM will do the same.

The new models haven't gone live on the 64 audio site and apparently no details have been shared to the wider community - but I suspect they will appear imminently. With regards to pricing, again, this is speculation but given that the A12 was replaced by the A12t and there was no price change to reflect that change, it would be fair to assume that the same will hold true for the new models.

If you want the latest and greatest and want a 64 Audio ear piece, it may be worthwhile holding back til their release.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Update - @dand666 - going what happened with the A12 -> A12t where the A12t replaced the A12 in it's entirety, I am guessing that the new releases that were announced at NAMM will do the same.

The new models haven't gone live on the 64 audio site and apparently no details have been shared to the wider community - but I suspect they will appear imminently. With regards to pricing, again, this is speculation but given that the A12 was replaced by the A12t and there was no price change to reflect that change, it would be fair to assume that the same will hold true for the new models.

If you want the latest and greatest and want a 64 Audio ear piece, it may be worthwhile holding back til their release.

Thanks for the info dude. Will do.

I see that the Audiofusion Performer app is now in the app store. Search for Audiofusion Performer in the app store to get it - must say the interface is quite nice. Lets see what the server is like - hopefully they will allow a trial period on it...

On 02/02/2018 at 08:11, charic said:

Seem to be going up at the "budget" end.  How long until they bring out a monitoring solution to match

They almost have an awesome headphone amp in the shape of the prodx with multiple inputs and compressors... but the lack of a pan kinda kills it. If they built in some ambient mics, for the money, it would kill everything else dead. 

Shame.

I've just had a couple of gigs at the weekend with IEM done on the cheap, we've got a gear4music transmitter and a couple of receivers, for me and the singer, I just set it up with 2 in ear earphones in then had to take one out to hear my bass and the band properly (replacing it with a generic ear plug) because we only have vocals going through the PA and it worked out ok I can tell a lot easier whether me and the singer are in harmony