Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1498166777' post='3322973']
I'd guess they're a split mono output, they're really just headphone amps to plug and instrument cable straight into but that suits my purposes fine. As long as the output is a little better than my Zoom B3 and it's reasonably transparent, it's a winner for me.
[/quote]
Sound good to me! Let us know how you get on!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1498200360' post='3323046']
Sound good to me! Let us know how you get on!
[/quote]

Arrived today, initial impressions are very good! Just a quick home noodle so far though. I've got one of those leather Levy's straps with the horizontal cuts in it and the clip sits very nicely in them which should keep it out of the way enough not to worry about anything getting knocked.

Output wise, I think the B3 might be louder but the sound quality of the EHX is excellent. Handles bass very well and my P sounded like a P should. Whether it's loud enough for live use with my cheap cans (I'm using a very unsubltle pair of Panasonic HTX7's at the moment but I'm wondering if my Soundmagic E10 buds would help me hear the rest of the band better) I'll find out next month, but as we're playing a venue where I never get a monitor and don't use an amp, it's going to be better than nothing anyway.

Question for you all... I got a set of UE 900s for christmas - they are amazing. I'm currently using the foam tips, and while not perfect they are pretty good.

I currently play at church - My problem is that having a few practice sessions, then a few sets in a meeting... that one ear at least is going in and out a lot. Last weekend I played at a wedding on the sat then morning and evening meetings - by the end of sunday the foam tip had been destroyed.

Question: what foam tips would folk recommend. How long should I expect them to last?

(and just so I can do my sums, how much does custom moulds and shelling cost?)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1498545908' post='3325322']
Question for you all... I got a set of UE 900s for christmas - they are amazing. I'm currently using the foam tips, and while not perfect they are pretty good.

I currently play at church - My problem is that having a few practice sessions, then a few sets in a meeting... that one ear at least is going in and out a lot. Last weekend I played at a wedding on the sat then morning and evening meetings - by the end of sunday the foam tip had been destroyed.

Question: what foam tips would folk recommend. How long should I expect them to last?

(and just so I can do my sums, how much does custom moulds and shelling cost?)
[/quote]

The reshells for the 900s are about two hundred quid. Not cheap but if you have this done, you'll have a killer pair of IEMs for not a huge amount of money.
[url="http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/reshells-remoulds/reshelling-remoulding-service-for-in-ear-monitors.html"]http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/reshells-remoulds/reshelling-remoulding-service-for-in-ear-monitors.html[/url]

It looks as though they do custom sleeves too. I had a pair of these done for my Shure SE535s before I got the V8s. Worked REALLY well. Our singer also has a pair for her Shures and she loves them. They look as though they're £115 but I'm not sure they're available in for the 900s. Have a look in the list or speak to Paul at the Custom IEM company. He's a top bloke and will walk you through the options.
[url="http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/iems/custom-fit-earphone-sleeves.php"]http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/iems/custom-fit-earphone-sleeves.php[/url]

In addition to what tonyf has said... the UE900 cables are not reusable on a reshell (different connectors) - so allow another 80-100 pounds for ear impressions and cable.

I know it sounds a lot - but you'll effectively have a set of UE custom quads at approx half the price... so defo still worth the investment.

I would whole heartedly recommend going custom over sleeves too.

Tips never really worked for me - comply tips are pretty much the standard tips that you will mentioned again and again... but foam tips tend to disintegrate as you have found... and they can be a pretty expensive consumable in running IEMs. The silicon tips last a lot better - but again, it depends how well they fit for you. People with sweaty ears may struggle with them staying in, especially if you tend to move around a lot.

Save for the custom moulds... it's night and day and you'll wonder how you ever gigged without them. I keep saying it.. but consider your IEMs as a replacement for your cab... less than 500 quid for a cab doesn't seem that unreasonable does it?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1498556037' post='3325434']
Save for the custom moulds... it's night and day and you'll wonder how you ever gigged without them. I keep saying it.. but consider your IEMs as a replacement for your cab... less than 500 quid for a cab doesn't seem that unreasonable does it?
[/quote] :) that's how I justified the cost of the IEM in the first place. When you consider that folk will have no problem shelling out £1k for some boutique cab ...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1498586421' post='3325725']
:) that's how I justified the cost of the IEM in the first place. When you consider that folk will have no problem shelling out £1k for some boutique cab ...
[/quote]

And it's one for each ear :) Annnnnnnnnd they don't suffer from bad sound when you use them in a rubbish shaped room. Annnnnnnnd no one will ever ask if they can use them.... Annnnnnnnd they won't break your back when it comes to load the gear away.... Annnnnnnd all 16 of my speakers fit in my top pocket ha ha!!

I posted this on my Instagram at my gig on Saturday. My latest acquisition.

We are running an XR18 desk and each of us can control our individual IEM mixes using our iPads. Super easy, but 1) I like to be able to tweak whilst I am playing and 2) given the available aux sends left, I had to give up the opportunity for a stereo mix with my usual set up. Then I learned about this, the P16m controller which connects to the desk via Behringer's 'Ultranet' network using a Cat 5 (network cable). It carries 16 channels of audio direct to me in about 1ms latency. I now have a stereo mix, fast access to grouping channels, EQ on every channel and a built in limiter to save my lug oles. Oh and no batteries to worry about! Very pleased indeed! Edited by dood

Currently running Sennheiser G3 IEM System into UE11 phones and it is without doubt the best sound I have ever had. Amazing. All instruments are routed to Aux post-gain but pre everything else, so as to steer clear of trigger happy soundmen with their Marianas Trench EQ curves. All monitor tweaking done on my iPhone using the QU You personal monitoring app. May well get greedy in future and add a REDDI for some B15-ey goodness in the signal path.

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1498730293' post='3326588']
Currently running Sennheiser G3 IEM System into UE11 phones and it is without doubt the best sound I have ever had. Amazing. All instruments are routed to Aux post-gain but pre everything else, so as to steer clear of trigger happy soundmen with their Marianas Trench EQ curves. All monitor tweaking done on my iPhone using the QU You personal monitoring app. May well get greedy in future and add a REDDI for some B15-ey goodness in the signal path.
[/quote]

I use a REDDI with IEM's. Amazing, get one!

Here's my err... DI...

http://www.waves.com/plugins/ssl-g-channel

To be honest, I'm only toying with it... I pretty much use just any DI (I'm not fussy and sort everything else out at the desk) or nowadays, I tend to go straight out from the Kemper. I recently played through a Chandler LTD1 - trying to track a profile for my kemper. Sounded freaking amazing.

Hi guys. New to in-ear monitoring here. I'm looking to switch but not everyone in the band is plugged into the PA(I don't think the whole band is open to the idea of in-ear monitoring). What are my options?

EDIT: I suppose I could get a really small mixing desk to plug the main mixing and ask the guys to plug it on my small mixer so it won't go out of FOH, just for my IEM? Is this doable?

Edited by MikanHannille

[quote name='MikanHannille' timestamp='1499072698' post='3328895']
Hi guys. New to in-ear monitoring here. I'm looking to switch but not everyone in the band is plugged into the PA(I don't think the whole band is open to the idea of in-ear monitoring). What are my options?

EDIT: I suppose I could get a really small mixing desk to plug the main mixing and ask the guys to plug it on my small mixer so it won't go out of FOH, just for my IEM? Is this doable?
[/quote]
Don't want to come across as rude - but if you read through all of this thread, it will give you everything that you would ever require and you'll get a good understanding of what you'll need. I guarantee all of your questions are likely to have been answered and much more.

In short - everything that you want to hear needs to be plugged into the PA. You main FOH PA needs to have auxes available... or you have to split the connections between the FOH mixer and your FOH mixer using XLR splits. (Assuming you aren't going to do all this digitally). OR - you have to mic everything you want to hear and be completely independent to the the FOH.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1499077934' post='3328951']
Don't want to come across as rude - but if you read through all of this thread, it will give you everything that you would ever require and you'll get a good understanding of what you'll need. I guarantee all of your questions are likely to have been answered and much more.

In short - everything that you want to hear needs to be plugged into the PA. You main FOH PA needs to have auxes available... or you have to split the connections between the FOH mixer and your FOH mixer using XLR splits. (Assuming you aren't going to do all this digitally). OR - you have to mic everything you want to hear and be completely independent to the the FOH.
[/quote]

Oh no. Not all. I've been reading this thread for awhile. I am a complete novice when it comes to this hence the questions since some of the stuff the guys are talking about I'm not following. But judging from your reply it seems like my idea is doable. Don't want to spend a lot of money on it for my fist go. So I'll have a play around.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been pondering this mag connection... the only benefit I can see to it over a pair of XLRs is the reduction in weight. I'm not aware of anybody wearing a body pack with a dual XLR belt pack having problems with damaged XLRs. If the XLR can't survive a short tug, the cables were always destined to break at some point.

Not keen on the idea of a cable that is proprietary either... if you break an XLR two on a gig, chances are you'll have a spare or be able to beg, steal or borrow one from somewhere. With this magnetic connection, you are pretty much dependent upon 64 Audio being able to supply you with one... so I would be buying at least one spare. Given the rip off cost of IEM cables, I can't imagine it will be an insignificant cost.

I'll wait and see... cost is going to be a huge driver for this success. If they are pitching this against the Shure P9HW, I think it's going to bomb... The Shure is pretty feature rich and does sound great. The 64 offering needs to be competing with the LD, Behringer etc belt packs of the world - maybe they can justify a slight premium over those... but certainly not astronomically more... but given their massive hike in IEM prices, maybe they are gunning for the Shure...? (Having heard the Shure, it is really nice - and certainly way above the standard offerings... but at approximately 6 times the price!)

Gunsfreddy2003 - try dropping 64 a message - they may include a mic input on gen 2 - if there is such a thing in the pipeline.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1500036446' post='3335275']
My thoughts too on the mag connection and if it does get snagged it'll just pull off instead of just pulling you back and you'll lose your mix....
[/quote]
Just seen Vitaliy talking about it at NAMM - I think he envisioned it to be used primarily for drummers and keys players.

From what I've seen, it's a less feature rich P9HW with a mag connector... I guess it's success will largely depending upon what price tag they decide to put on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks and apologies for being lazy but this is a monster thread! I just bought a pair of Ultimate ear Triple Fi 10s, the drummer in my band had his re-shelled in Florida by https://www.inearz.com and they have done an awesome job, I was thinking of using them. I reckon there should be no duty as it's a repair (maybe). But is there anyone in the UK who you would recommend to re-shell? Thanks!

[quote]But is there anyone in the UK who you would recommend to re-shell?[/quote]

These guys here supplied my UE11 phones - they also do reshells, highly recommended:

[url="http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/"]http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/[/url]

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1501586221' post='3345663']
These guys here supplied my UE11 phones - they also do reshells, highly recommended:

[url="http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/"]http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks!