Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

Say the rest of the band are dead against IEMs but I want to give it a shot for myself, what sort of setup would I need? Guessing an ambient mic and bass DI to a little mixer would do it?

Edited by Bigwan

I'm a recent convert to the world of IEMs. My set up, which is relatively simple, is a headphone amp run to the aux out of our mixer, then UE900s plugged into the headphone amp.
It's been brilliant, and i'd recommend anyone who is thinking about using this set up, to give it a go!
I can't believe i hadn't done it sooner.
Im sure a ambient mic would be good, but i don't think it's something you need to invest in straight away

Edited by FuNkShUi

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1470731750' post='3107914']
Say the rest of the band are dead against IEMs but I want to give it a shot for myself, what sort of setup would I need? Guessing an ambient mic and bass DI to a little mixer would do it?
[/quote]
A mixer with at least an aux.

From that aux you send everything you want to hear to a headphone amp with your in ear monitors plugged into.

When mixing, take the stance that you can only hear what you put into your mix. So if you want bass - you'll have to at least DI to the mixer. If you want drums you'll at least need a single overhead... If you want to hear guitars, you'll have to put a mic in front of the guitar cab. Of course, you can use as little or as many mics as your mixer allows for - but this all adds to set up time - but enables you finer control over your mix. So in short, yes, you could get away with a single mic to capture the ambient sound of the band and a DI feed - but your mix could be so much better.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1470748445' post='3108121']
A mixer with at least an aux.

From that aux you send everything you want to hear to a headphone amp with your in ear monitors plugged into.

When mixing, take the stance that you can only hear what you put into your mix. So if you want bass - you'll have to at least DI to the mixer. If you want drums you'll at least need a single overhead... If you want to hear guitars, you'll have to put a mic in front of the guitar cab. Of course, you can use as little or as many mics as your mixer allows for - but this all adds to set up time - but enables you finer control over your mix. So in short, yes, you could get away with a single mic to capture the ambient sound of the band and a DI feed - but your mix could be so much better.
[/quote]

Makes total sense!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1470731750' post='3107914']
[/quote]

I tried this myself with "some" success. I'm actually wanting to do this for rehearsal (as the PA can't keep up with the rest of the band... small room loud band) so huge setup times are out of the question

Thought some of you guys may find this interesting. It's not an iEM system but it does kind of draw parallels with the Klang positional monitoring system in that it tracks the performer's position.

Anyway, enjoy. The step by step explanation of the system starts at 3:02 and the testing of the system starts at 20:50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33gXCdWJIPI

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1471735297' post='3115506']
More interesting IEM solutions...? Try this. -

[url="http://posseaudio.com"]http://posseaudio.com[/url]

Quite like the idea of the mic stand mounted controls and ambient feature.
[/quote]yep, solves the problem of having to mic everything up

This looks very interesting - I am still to sort out my IEM solution properly and this could work for me although I don't sing so could be a little overkill.

I trialled a basic IEM set up the other week and the lack of ambient sound didn't make it a very enjoyable experience especially when people kept trying to talk to me!

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1471765567' post='3115579']
yep, solves the problem of having to mic everything up
[/quote]
I don't think it would. Ambient mics put the room sound back in but don't give you the control over the mix between instruments that you'd want. Like the annoying snare and cymbals that cut through everything.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1471777540' post='3115740']
I don't think it would. Ambient mics put the room sound back in but don't give you the control over the mix between instruments that you'd want. Like the annoying snare and cymbals that cut through everything.
[/quote]I take your point, but if it's on the mic stand it would pick up what your ears would be hearing more or less, but yeah you've got no control, apart from what goes through the PA, wonder if anybody's used one and can tell us?

• 2 weeks later...

Our singer cant seem to adjust. As soon as he starts singing, all the sound gets shut out and comes back when he stops singing. He is using the universal Shure SE215. Do you know of any technique we can use, so he can hear the rest of the band in the iems, when he is singing? Are any of you guys singing with your iems and are you having the same issues?
The setup is right and the IEMS are playing fine simultaneously with his singing. We think the ears might be clenching together and blocking the ear canal during singing, or the inside voice is louder than the iems.
It's frustrating because he is the only one still using wedges and he is always complaining about ear pain. The rest of us are all using iems.

Edited by sunsse

The whole band is present in the mix.
The mixer is a digital A&H QU-16 into Sennheiser EW300 g2 wireless transmitters. There is a limiter on the receiver, so that could be it. I will check it out. However this is only an issue on his IEM setup if that is the case, the rest of us have no issues with the volume.

Edited by sunsse

[quote name='sunsse' timestamp='1472652036' post='3122941']
The whole band is present in the mix.
The mixer is a digital A&H QU-16 into Sennheiser EW300 g2 wireless transmitters. There is a limiter on the receiver, so that could be it. I will check it out. However this is only an issue on his IEM setup if that is the case, the rest of us have no issues with the volume.
[/quote]
Turn the limiters off on the packs and do your limiting at the desk. Make sure that you are not overloading the EW300 transmitter too - makes sure your gain is not exceeding unity on the transmitter (the screen goes red if you do too often). I would double check everything in the signal chain and even have somebody else listen in at the transmitter (using the headphone socket). Then you can see if the signal being transmitted is as you would expect.

Also, tune another pack in to the same frequency just in case you have a dodgy pack - best to take that possibility out of the equation.

If all is present and correct with your actual mix, then yes, sounds like the tips.

I think it's been cleared in the thread earlier but granted, it's a lot of info... so my overview is as follows - others experiences may differ. In terms of my experience with Shure and Sennheiser, to date, I've gigged on the PSM200, PSM300, PSM900 and PSM1000. Sennheiser - EW300 G2, EW300 G3.

PSM300 and EW300 G3 are both great systems and both have their plus and negatives... however, for the flexibility in the rf tuning alone, I would go for the EW300. If you get the channel 70 version (license free), it will tune down to [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]823-832 which is also a legal band that is available to use with the shared mic license (what you would use if you bought the system on channel 38). The PSM300 has fixed tuning points only. This is great for environments where there is little interference or you aren't running a load of wireless (this fact is further complicated if its wireless of different types (e.g. not IEM transmitters, but mics... and if this said wireless is from different manufacturers) - Just select a bank and channel and go. Sennheiser has both - preselected and the ability to fine tune when co-ordinating a lot of radio.[/color][/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Also, the EW300 has balanced inputs (in fact, combo sockets so allows for jacks also) as opposed to the jack only inputs on the Shure.[/color][/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]I've talked about audio quality before - between the Shure premium and Sennheiser, there's very little difference - with the Shure perhaps being a tiny bit quieter (in terms of the noise floor at rest) and a bit better in the bass response - but certainly nothing to worry about (I'm being uber, uber detailed in the difference between the two), especially if you are running a digital desk where you can eq the signal to taste anyway[/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I think the build of the EW300 transmitter is more akin to the PSM900 so I think if you are looking for a premium feeling product, I would go for the EW300 out of the EW300 and the PSM300. The premium pack of the PSM300 is great, probably edging the build of the EW300 pack - but the EW300 is not a problem by any means.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Batteries last a lot, lot longer in the Sennheiser compared to the Shure.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hope this helps.[/font][/color]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Note - Just don't bother with the PSM200... if any shop tries to offer you one on a close out deal, don't buckle. They aren't in the same league as the PSM300.[/color][/font]

Edited by EBS_freak

Yes that's a big help, im leaning towards the G3. Ha although I've recently have found a used psm 900 around the £500 mark (just to through more spanners in the works lol) do you know much about the psm300 claiming to be a digital hybrid? Not too sure what that means personally

[quote name='Nord' timestamp='1472799623' post='3124282']
Yes that's a big help, im leaning towards the G3. Ha although I've recently have found a used psm 900 around the £500 mark (just to through more spanners in the works lol) do you know much about the psm300 claiming to be a digital hybrid? Not too sure what that means personally
[/quote]
If you have the option of a PSM900 for that sort of money, I would go for that. The PSM900 is the winner, especially if it is in good condition and has the latter P9RA pack, as opposed to the P9R. Having said that, in the real world, there's not really much significant differences between the two packs - unless you are planning on using mix mode and a pair of receivers.

The digital hybrid thing is a bit misleading - the actual transmission is still very much analogue. (I've explained earlier that digital transmission for IEMs is generally bad news due to the amount of latency a digital transmission brings to the table. Add a digital desk, digital outboard and a digital mic to the equation, then factor in the fact you have 2 sound streams to process (for stereo IEMs) and you'll find yourself singing against an echo). The digital it refers to is the onboard processing of the sound, e.g. the eq and the compounding - which results in minimal latency but arguably better quality sound.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1472550610' post='3121963']
Nice one dood on your 64 deal!
[/quote]

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

I am very pleased to say that I've been invited on to the 64 Audio Artist Roster and of course I was only too happy to accept. I've been so pleased with the products and the customer service is amazing.

I know I've said it before and I just want to say it again: Russ has been brilliant here on this thread. Knowledge and expertise which i know has been beneficial to basschatters. Russ helped me to 64 Audio and through testing a range of products I found the right one for me.

Cheers Russ and also TonyF for pointing me towards the V8 I started with and now the A8 model that is getting lots of use!!