Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

8 minutes ago, burno70 said:

On a different note: does anyone have experience of IEM set ups and a singing drummer?

The issue is that the cymbals can come through the vocal mic and sound might harsh.

I have IEMs and a singing drummer, not really an issue for me, I just turn him down a bit in my IEMs and it doesn't cause me an issue!

On 25/06/2019 at 13:46, burno70 said:

On a different note: does anyone have experience of IEM set ups and a singing drummer?

The issue is that the cymbals can come through the vocal mic and sound might harsh.

Thanks

Ste

This is all down to choice of mic and mic technique (and gaining properly (and an insensitive mic helps too).

A decent headset mic is a good call... but so is an overhead gooseneck with something like a Shure 56. An Audix OM5/6/7 are also a good call as offer very good rejection. The key thing is though, is the lips need to be right up to that grille. Another top tip is to use an optogate to open and close the mic... although that can sound very off-putting through inears due to the sudden change the sound can have when the gate opens.

A lot of sound problems associated with drumkits, is largely down to the choice of drumkit. Drummers love big cymbals, big kits... but if you are using IEMs and got a handle on the processing of modern digital desks, your best move for the drummer is to have the smallest, quietest kits and then mic it and let the PA do the work. For example, in my band, the drummer uses a 16" kick. It sounds super tight, goes super deep... but without flab and flop that you normally get with larger drums. Of course, there's other tricks that you can do... like augment the kit with samples - so you may want to look into that also. Cymbals are the biggest issue... so get a drummer to buy darker cymbals. They arent as shrill... and not as loud... but again, through processing, you can get pretty much everything you'd ever need from them.

Dont forget that a mix is a combination of the sum of it's parts. So if there is cymbal bleed from open vocal mics... don't go pinning the faders on overheads for example. With bleed, the game is being patient to find the sweet spots with all the active channels in operation. The more you play with it, the more you experiment, the quicker you will get at getting that perfect feed.

Edited by EBS_freak

19 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I have IEMs and a singing drummer, not really an issue for me, I just turn him down a bit in my IEMs and it doesn't cause me an issue!

Thanks Woodinblack, but I've tried that and ended up almost losing the vocals altogether - Which I don't want.

And thanks for your detailed response EBS Freak. I'll send that over to my band mates so we can have a chat about resolving the issue.

33 minutes ago, burno70 said:

Thanks Woodinblack, but I've tried that and ended up almost losing the vocals altogether - Which I don't want.

I do also have a bit of filtering on his vocals too to get rid of the most troublesome of high frequencies, although you certainly can't get rid of all of it. It is lucky that as loud of a drummer he is, he is also a pretty loud singer, so that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

The g2s are OK - and certainly a step up from the g1 with their pesky 9v batteries. The g2 doesn't have the antenna function up the headphone cable, so isn't as good as the g3 as maintaining a stable signal. You tend to get the odd fuzzies and drop outs but for the money, they are generally pretty good as long as you can find one that hasn't been battered to death. The tuning range isn't quite as wide as the g3 either - but that won't bother you unless you are running lots of wireless. The spares are becoming more scarce for them now but if you can get hold of a nice tx and rx for the right price, they are a nice option. As always, be careful what frequencies you are buying. You'll need ch70 for license free operation or ch38 for licensed operation.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Thanks 1

I see the the KZ AS16s are now under 75 quid... (on ebay at least, with free p&p but do factor in your may get hit on import duty) so a budget universal 8 driver a side monitor (and it's a bit of a bass monster - and has wider soundstage than the ZS10 and AS10s) for way less than say a UE900... well, it's certainly a big hitter in terms of dipping your toes in the water before going custom.

Edited by EBS_freak

1 hour ago, JimBobTTD said:

Benefit of these over the KS10s? 

Supposedly greater headroom, tighter in the bass and wider soundstage and a better, flatter response in the treble. Apparently very easy to drive, so you will get more volume on less power. (So for battery pack headphone amps, less power consumption)

Hi Guy's, I have convinced my singer to go IEM and she has a radio mic, is there anything she needs to look out for when buying a IEM wireless transmitter / belt pack ?

I assume most wireless transmitters have a frequency selector 

Thanks 

51 minutes ago, funky8884 said:

I assume most wireless transmitters have a frequency selector 

Thanks 

Yep pretty much. Can’t comment on wireless mics but we are all wireless guitar wise and there are no probs with in ear receivers for us. 

• Like 1

On 08/07/2019 at 14:59, EBS_freak said:

I see the the KZ AS16s are now under 75 quid... (on ebay at least, with free p&p but do factor in your may get hit on import duty) so a budget universal 8 driver a side monitor (and it's a bit of a bass monster - and has wider soundstage than the ZS10 and AS10s) for way less than say a UE900... well, it's certainly a big hitter in terms of dipping your toes in the water before going custom.

My KZ ZS10 Pro's arrived today from the seller "fairlylighting", 7 days free delivery and by royal mail , no import duty which is good news (I had to pay import when I ordered from the states )
I only paid £27 and am very happy with the results, the isolation is close to my custom ACS with 28db filters in.
I can now envision how good custom moulds would be

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Had a practice in a new wedding venue yesterday, I honestly think without our ampless in ear setup you'd potentially have to cancel the gig in there! 

Awful echo, Little drumkit sounded like it was micd up at Knebworth. 

Toys!

F5DDFC91-5CEE-4ECC-9A0E-7F139E9AE375.jpeg

• Like 1