Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

4 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

We use the PM1, which is passive so no batteries to worry about. What is the benefit of the newer P2 over the PM1?

The P2 is a lighter/smaller form factor that doesn't pull your your pants down when you're playing. The P1 can do stereo but the P2 is mono and duplicates the mono signal to both ears.

Nup - P2 is balanced mono (or unbalanced mono) or stereo off a pair of unbalanced feeds. There’s an internal switch to change between the two modes.

P2 is a dedicated headphone amp so provides the correct loading for your aux and headphones to be driven optimally.

There are three Behringer in-ear products: P1, PM1, and P2.  Yes the P1 is the larger one, but the one we have in our band is the PM1, which is only 80g.  I don't know the weight of a P2 but the two AA batteries it needs will be about 20g already.

Our mixer is a Mackie DL32R, which has 12 line-level XLR outputs - I wonder if technically that is wrong and i.e. we should be using headphone amps (like the P2).  However the PM1 seem to work well and I don't have any volume issues - normally have the dial about half way up.

Edited by jrixn1

Actually I'm a bit confused now...  PM1 manual says "Signals should be sent from a stereo headphone amplifier to the PM1. Note that the PM1 XLR input is not meant for balanced line signals."

But is our desk indeed sending a balanced line signal? Mackie manual: "These 14 male XLR connectors provide balanced line-level signals"

In which case, what am I hearing... is one of my ears out-of-phase?

Are you running a mono mix then?

What you need is to plug in two xlrs into a pair of stereo auxes on your DL32R and wire to a single xlr to put into your belt pack. In the XLRs that go into the mixer join pins 1 and 3 in each XLR. The two 2 pins are your L and R that go to pins 2 and 3 that go into your belt pack XLR and pin 1 on the belt pack XLR is the ground (that joins back up with the joined pins 1 and 3 mixer side).

Just done this off top of my head. If in doubt get obbm to make you up a cable.

I’m guessing pretty much all of this has been covered in the thread already... but I did a “new to IEMs video”... lots of content in there, including dinosaurs. Don’t worry, got some on the wireless, mic source and stuff coming too.

Just an unscripted brain dump really... but enjoy (if you have an hour to spare!)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

I’m guessing pretty much all of this has been covered in the thread already... but I did a “new to IEMs video”... lots of content in there, including dinosaurs. Don’t worry, got some on the wireless, mic source and stuff coming too.

Just an unscripted brain dump really... but enjoy (if you have an hour to spare!)

I'm really looking forward to watching your two videos. I did see just a minute or so of the second one as I was waiting for a student to arrive here.. The scarf thing .. 😂 Will hopefully catch up with the rest later on.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dood said:

I'm really looking forward to watching your two videos. I did see just a minute or so of the second one as I was waiting for a student to arrive here.. The scarf thing .. 😂 Will hopefully catch up with the rest later on.

Was funny - just before we shot this, I even said at the time of the incident, "watch me do something really stupid now..."

- and then I did.

As you can tell, this is a brain dump really to help people new to the game - so there's probably nothing in there that you aren't already aware of... but you know. As I say, also got some other stuff coming up to go along with this video... and we've done loads of theory stuff too.

• Thanks 1

After a bit of advice.

My band, a three-piece, has a wired set up. I'm using a Behringer P2 with KZ ZS10 in ears.

The issue I have is that the guitar - which is balanced volume-wise with the drums and generally not overpowering, bleeds way too much into my in ear mix which then leads me to adjust my in ear levels way too high to compensate. The guitars aren't coming from the mixer, they're coming through the physical in ear earphones.

Recently, I've had a couple of instances of ringing in my ears following rehearsals and a gig - which can't continue.

I'd just add that we're not a particularly loud band and there isn't an issue with volume (guitar or otherwise) when not using in ears.

I can't afford proper moulded in ears, which I fear may be the only solution.

Thanks

Ste

Here's some things to try -

1. Different tips - you may not be getting the best isolation from the stock KZ tips

2. Turn the amp down and let the PA do the work

3. Consider ditching the amp and going the modelling route

4. Deploy the acrylic screens of shame in front of the amps to try and block the intensity of the sound coming from the amp (assuming that the amp is miced).

5. Start saving for some customs

3 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Was funny - just before we shot this, I even said at the time of the incident, "watch me do something really stupid now..."

- and then I did.

As you can tell, this is a brain dump really to help people new to the game - so there's probably nothing in there that you aren't already aware of... but you know. As I say, also got some other stuff coming up to go along with this video... and we've done loads of theory stuff too.

Heh heh! I've had many near misses too. Actually come to think of it, there was one blisteringly hot day that I had to have a shirt over the top of my T Shirt due to a spillage!

Ahhh that's more than cool, I think I'll just enjoy the geek out even if it is stuff I am aware of - moreover, if I get asked about IEMs, I can certainly send the link and refer to your discussion specifically. Thank you on behalf of those getting in to IEMs for doing this. I think it will be a great resource.

35 minutes ago, Dood said:

Heh heh! I've had many near misses too. Actually come to think of it, there was one blisteringly hot day that I had to have a shirt over the top of my T Shirt due to a spillage!

Ahhh that's more than cool, I think I'll just enjoy the geek out even if it is stuff I am aware of - moreover, if I get asked about IEMs, I can certainly send the link and refer to your discussion specifically. Thank you on behalf of those getting in to IEMs for doing this. I think it will be a great resource.

I had a look on Youtube and there didn't seem to be anything quite like the above video so I thought... well... why not. And this thread, as mighty as it is... I suppose if like finding needles in haystacks for people. I'm hoping that the intro videos that I have done will get people up to speed. It'll certainly take you longer than an hour to find all the above info in this thread for example. Having said that, there will still be people who want instant answers without watching the vid! But hey.

35 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I had a look on Youtube and there didn't seem to be anything quite like the above video so I thought... well... why not. And this thread, as mighty as it is... I suppose if like finding needles in haystacks for people. I'm hoping that the intro videos that I have done will get people up to speed. It'll certainly take you longer than an hour to find all the above info in this thread for example. Having said that, there will still be people who want instant answers without watching the vid! But hey.

Yup, I would have loved to have had access to that video about a year ago - it would have saved the band so much time.

Thanks for your reply re my issue. In reply: the guitar amp is never going to be lowered down: it's about the right level for the drums. The guitarist wouldn't go down the amp modelling route, and to be fair, his tone is brilliant so I wouldn't want him to.

Will try different tips, and yeah, I think customs may be the only viable solution, unfortunately for me.

9 minutes ago, burno70 said:

Yup, I would have loved to have had access to that video about a year ago - it would have saved the band so much time.

Thanks for your reply re my issue. In reply: the guitar amp is never going to be lowered down: it's about the right level for the drums. The guitarist wouldn't go down the amp modelling route, and to be fair, his tone is brilliant so I wouldn't want him to.

Will try different tips, and yeah, I think customs may be the only viable solution, unfortunately for me.

You've told me quite an important piece of information there. The fact that you are saying that the guitar is the right level for the drums... on stage, I would expect the drums to be the loudest instrument and the guitar to be significantly lower in volume than the drums. My thinking is like this -

Guitar cabs are VERY directional. This means, if you audience are standing right in front of the stage area with the guitar amp, they are going to get blasted. If they stand off axis, eg are watching from the other end of the stage, the likelihood is that the guitar will be low in the mix and the drums will be swamping the sound. Consider bringing the volume right down and letting the PA do all the work. You'll get a better dispersion meaning no hot or dead spots for the audience.

I understand about driving amps and getting the "tone". But the tone is no use if the band sound pants as a consequence. With the modellers that are out there, there is zero reason you can't get a killer guitar tone with a silent/near silent stage. If the guitarist wants a traditional amp, get it into an iso box and mic it up - -and again, put it through the PA.

You need to work as a band. Bands don't always play large stadiums.. so be smart and work to the size venues you have. If that means going quieter onstage and going down the modelling route - do it, your band will sound infinitely better for it too.

16 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Guitar cabs are VERY directional.

This. Ever since my tinnitus was (finally) triggered one gig by a dep guitard who put his 1x12 combo on a bar stool directly behind me (to be fair, it was a very cramped stage area) and then proceeded to turn it up and up because he couldn't hear it where he was standing, my MO for the less sympathetic 'I-must-have-volume' guitarists is to point their cab directly at their head where they're standing. I even bring an old angled cab stand specifically for this purpose. It's amazing how they don't need quite so much volume once their cab is going straight at their ears*.

* Although I've never played with Joe 'Speak up' Bonamassa...I believe he likes it... 🙄

50 minutes ago, Muzz said:

and then proceeded to turn it up and up because he couldn't hear it where he was standing

...and clearly didn't give a hoot about what that was doing to the foh sound that is ultimately, what should be given the priority.

3 minutes ago, Muzz said:

You've met the type...he didn't get a call back. Sadly, neither did my ears...

I've got to the stage where if it's an unknown dep guitarist and I have no idea about how disciplined they are with their amp, it's a modeller with inears only.

On 17/06/2019 at 09:16, EBS_freak said:

Just had a look at the stats - thanks to all the people that have checked it out. Basschat seems to have sent a fair few viewers to Youtube! Much appreciated for listening (even in part!) to mine and Steve's ramblings. (Although to be honest, Steve is mostly there for visual entertainment value on this one! :p)

More randomness soon when I get round to editing - I've got a fair few theory ones to do - and they take an absolute age!.

Also - quite cool to see the top three threads in this area of the forum seem to be on IEMs right now!

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 3