Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

1 hour ago, GrahamT said:

I have been using a second hand, ex-rental  Shure PSM700 iem unit for the past year. It always sounded tinny and crackled and popped occasionally and it burned through PP3 9v batteries at an alarming rate. It finally failed on me at the NYE gig so I am looking to replace it.

The 9v thing is always a nightmare for wireless. They just don’t last very long. Terrible battery life on the PSM200, same with EW300 G1.

If that’s your benchmark of audio, you are gonna be in for a treat with the EW300 G3/4

11 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

:thank_you:

That’s actually a very valid point. The new case design is actually very lovely though...

Anyway, if you fancy a night of soldering club and make up lots of looms and racks, @stingrayPete1977 Is your man.

(scarpers out the room)

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

As little as possible! 

So a rack, XR16 and a router? (It's the separate router that's annoying you isn't it? :P - That and you want to wire a rack panel with a power con on it! )

Edited by EBS_freak

• 4 weeks later...

This thread's gone unusually quiet!

Anyway,  reading all this has finally convinced me to swap out my current IEMs for some custom moulds and I have booked an appointment next month.  I booked a demo slot too with the Custom IEM Company and they've asked me to bring along some test tracks and preferred source.  Does this mean I should bring my wireless system,  preamp? What kind of test tracks should I sort out?  Any advice gratefully received!

Steve

48 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Anyway,  reading all this has finally convinced me to swap out my current IEMs for some custom moulds and I have booked an appointment next month.  I booked a demo slot too with the Custom IEM Company and they've asked me to bring along some test tracks and preferred source.  Does this mean I should bring my wireless system,  preamp? What kind of test tracks should I sort out?  Any advice gratefully received!

Steve

I used a little lossless mp3 player loaded with a handful of stuff I knew would test the range of any iems I was trying. For me stuff like Daft Punk was good. I don't think I would have gone as far as to take my wireless setup but if you can and want to then it's not a daft idea.

i've been working on my own haptic feedback platform (mentioned in to @Gunsfreddy2003 not too long ago) that has a more uniform feel that the Eich and P&D boards that I've tried. Also, they are a lot more smaller (60x60) than other boards, so more friendly for the smaller venues. I'm working on getting my drawings CNCed now that I've completed them. The prototype is pretty mean and I'm proper happy with the results that I've got. I'm getting some machined for my band - and the cool thing is, they should come in substantially cheaper than the competition. Operational noise wise, they are near silent - which is great - as the design has eliminated anything that could potentially cause noise.

Sound interesting? Once I've got the first built, I'll share the details here... so if anybody is interested, I may be able to negotiate some volume discounts for everybody. I was going to wait to post the pics... but meh. Threads been quiet for a while!

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 2

On 31/01/2019 at 08:29, Muppet said:

Steve

Remember, prerecorded tracks have been through limiters and been mastered so haven't got the transients that are present in live music (yes, compressors on your aux can tame things a little but it's not comparative to a recording) - As a consequence, I would say take tracks that have obscene amounts of bass because thats whats going to give up first.

My go to IEM bass unfriendly tracks -

Free - Rudimental,

Can't Stop Playing (Makes Me High) - Dr. Kucho! and Gregor Salto (0:45 onwards - it's this track (I think Ive posted it in the thead before...)

And for detail and sound stage,

Hell Freezes Over version of Hotel California - The Eagles

As a rule, I would always take headroom - so extra drivers in the low are going to be your friend, especially if your primary concern is live use. You may prefer a lower driver count in isolation... but in a band situation, that extra headroom is going be appreciated.

Edited by EBS_freak

Quick shout out to EBS_freak for spending the day setting up my band on in ears including the new FOH mix, I think we've totally killed rock and roll but on the plus side we've got three less large heavy boxes to bring, four if we can get rid of the guitar amp, no mains leads required out front and four sockets we don't need. 

Thanks again dude. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Quick shout out to EBS_freak for spending the day setting up my band on in ears including the new FOH mix, I think we've totally killed rock and roll but on the plus side we've got three less large heavy boxes to bring, four if we can get rid of the guitar amp, no mains leads required out front and four sockets we don't need. 

Thanks again dude. 

No worries man! Here starteth the revolution!

(can't believe you aren't a woojer fan!)

Edited by EBS_freak

5 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I’d quite like to try a Woojer. And a Backbeat. And a Subpac. I’ll never be able to compare all 3 in one room though, sadly.

Can tell you from all my experimentations, the backbeat has it's transducer in the wrong place.

Just now, CameronJ said:

In that it sits on your back?

Yes - your back has the least nerve endings for starters. The feeling of big movement comes through your legs. If you think about a loud gigs, it's the movement in the floor where it's coupled with the subs that give you the feeling of big air.

Here's the theory - get a subwoofer, suspend it in the air... and with earplugs in... stand in front of it. You may feel air movement on things like your face... but what is happening is nothing like the movement that you'd get if the sub is coupled to the floor.

The Woojer on the chest is better... but again, it's the feeling of something localised on your chest as opposed to a feeling of being in a big gig. Moving it down to your hips is much much better. But then you get all the feeling in your waist... but again, not so much that feeling of big bass coupling through your body, through the floor and then into your legs and up your spine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Yes - your back has the least nerve endings for starters. The feeling of big movement comes through your legs. If you think about a loud gigs, it's the movement in the floor where it's coupled with the subs that give you the feeling of big air.

Here's the theory - get a subwoofer, suspend it in the air... and with earplugs in... stand in front of it. You may feel air movement on things like your face... but what is happening is nothing like the movement that you'd get if the sub is coupled to the floor.

The Woojer on the chest is better... but again, it's the feeling of something localised on your chest as opposed to a feeling of being in a big gig. Moving it down to your hips is much much better. But then you get all the feeling in your waist... but again, not so much that feeling of big bass coupling through your body, through the floor and then into your legs and up your spine.

Makes sense. Strap the woojer to your boots? :crazy:

Just now, CameronJ said:

Makes sense. Strap the woojer to your boots? :crazy:

Ha - funnily enough you should say that... been there, done that...  - the sensation is then localised around your ankles and doesn't travel up your body. I think it's the best, portable, solution out there at the moment though, if its worn around the waist.

• Like 1