Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

Situation I was in a few years ago we used a electronic kit - sounded amazing in FOH big odd to play with as the tiny latency, plus reflection off the back wall of the venue meant you couldn’t watch the drummer and needed it in the fold back - IEM would solve the problem which I guess is the point of this thread.

also to the person who is about to say it must have been an old or low tech kit that was years ago as they don’t have latency now.... thanks, but I’ve preempted you! :)

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

Situation I was in a few years ago we used a electronic kit - sounded amazing in FOH big odd to play with as the tiny latency, plus reflection off the back wall of the venue meant you couldn’t watch the drummer and needed it in the fold back - IEM would solve the problem which I guess is the point of this thread.

also to the person who is about to say it must have been an old or low tech kit that was years ago as they don’t have latency now.... thanks, but I’ve preempted you! :)

Not latency... just standard drummer timing! 😛

FML.

As if it wasn't enough losing my inears, my ULXD is now lost.

FFS. Why can't a delivery company ever do what it's meant to do. And yet you take out insurance for them to do their job right. Ask yourself this... if you had a tradesman came into your premises to do work and they completely fck*ed it up... would you claim on their insurance? Why do you have pay insurance out for the safeguarding against THEM doing THEIR job properly?

Absolutely raging.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

FML.

As if it wasn't enough losing my inears, my ULXD is now lost.

FFS. Why can't a delivery company ever do what it's meant to do. And yet you take out insurance for them to do their job right. Ask yourself this... if you had a tradesman came into your premises to do work and they completely fck*ed it up... would you claim on their insurance? Why do you have pay insurance out for the safeguarding against THEM doing THEIR job properly?

Absolutely raging.

So sorry buddy. 

Is it DEFINITELY lost? At this time of year, it wouldn't be a surprise to have the thing turn up late with all the deliveries that are going through the system. 

Has the courier confirmed they can't find it and it's disappeared?

Guess I’ll find out more tomorrow @tonyf - the thing is, it needs to have been serviced and left from Shure by Thursday for delivery back to me on Friday otherwise it’ll not be til the New Year - which is a right ball as I got some gigs in between Xmas and NYE that I could really do with having it back. Of course, that is assuming that it miraculously gets found tomorrow.

Im seriously considering trying to get this deal on watchdog or something - insurance for other people doing their job right is just ludicrous. And the thing is, I have to wait a stupid amount of time before I can make a claim - and then the claim process is always deliberately so that it’s difficult to actually get a pay out.

Corrupt as.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Sad 3

Can anyone help with any advice on this?

I've just returned from the hospital where I've been to have my ears tested. It looks like my top end hearing is going.

So, it's in ears all the way now.

I have the zs10s. But is there any way to seal the ears so they don't let in external noise?

Or any other ears?

I'm sure I've seen some that are like a putty that moulds into your ear?

23 minutes ago, la bam said:

Can anyone help with any advice on this?

I've just returned from the hospital where I've been to have my ears tested. It looks like my top end hearing is going.

So, it's in ears all the way now.

I have the zs10s. But is there any way to seal the ears so they don't let in external noise?

Or any other ears?

I'm sure I've seen some that are like a putty that moulds into your ear?

Custom moulds is where it’s at. To be honest, with your diagnosis, they would be worth every penny. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

5 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Custom moulds is where it’s at. To be honest, with your diagnosis, they would be worth every penny. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

This. @EBS_freak is the absolute truth of all things IEM. 

Having used custom moulded 64 Ears V8s, I've also has a pair of zs10s for a while. Whilst they're fantastic value for money and sound great listening to music whilst at work, getting anywhere near the fit (and isolation) of custom moulds is a fair way away. 

As mentioned WAY too many times in this thread, it's a mind shift. I've not used an amp for dozens of dozens of gigs. We don't think twice of investing in hugely expensive back line. Maybe we need the same approach to IEMs. Spend big but spend once. Trust me, the absolute joy of a great in ear mix through some amazingly good custom moulds is a wonderful thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, la bam said:

As i already have a pair of Zs10s - would it be worth getting some 'snugs' for these? About £160? If they do them for those?

I'm not sure that snugs will do a solution for ZS10s but I may be wrong. For not much more you could get some Lugs custom moulds or if you can stretch to it there's UE6 pros. I've been really impressed with mine.

17 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

I'm not sure that snugs will do a solution for ZS10s but I may be wrong. For not much more you could get some Lugs custom moulds or if you can stretch to it there's UE6 pros. I've been really impressed with mine.

Have you got a link for Lugs custom moulds please? They're not coming up on a Google search.

10 hours ago, la bam said:

which customs do you use?

edit:

daft question - ive just seen you use 64 ears.

Yeah, I've had my 64 Ears V8s for about 4 years now. Still absolutely fantastic, always bring a smile to my face when using them, especially when I finished paying off the crippling debt that @EBS_freak  put me in when he convinced me to take the plunge! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, King Tut said:

Have you got a link for Lugs custom moulds please? They're not coming up on a Google search.

Here you go :

https://www.facebook.com/LugsCustomIEM/

speak to Rob, he’s a very helpful chap.  I’ve got some LUGS quads and some UE6 Pros - sound-wise there isn’t anything in it but that’s totally subjective of course.  Either way, they’ll be light-years ahead of the universal ZS10s (I’ve got a set of those as well and I like them 😄) from a sound, fit and isolation point of view. 

Edited by intime-nick
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, la bam said:

Thanks for the help. Im getting a bit lost now though (as usual)!

Do the snugs/lugs come with ear phones? and is there any that are good or any to be avoided?

thanks again.

Lugs are complete custom moulded in ear monitors so you don't need to add earphones. You can choose how many drivers and what colours you want. Speak to Robert and he'll guide you.

10 hours ago, tonyf said:

Yeah, I've had my 64 Ears V8s for about 4 years now. Still absolutely fantastic, always bring a smile to my face when using them, especially when I finished paying off the crippling debt that @EBS_freak  put me in when he convinced me to take the plunge! 

And in turn as you well know that you and @EBS_freak helped me on my journey to @64 Audio too! My V8’s and I went for the upgrade to A8 series.. I think I’ve finished paying for them about now ha ha ha! I’ve gone through a cable and have a new one on the way (somewhere!) but they have come to every gig for the last, what, two and a half years? They’re great and I use them for tracking session bass and just sometimes when I need some peace and quiet. Which could be a good plan as I really need, or would like to start some sort of meditation to sort my head out.. that’s for another thread though.

Love my A8’s :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, la bam said:

I've been looking at the snugs website, they come with a choice of 2 earphones and moulds:

Shure se215 at £300.

or

Shure se525 at £600.

Can anyone recommend or not recommend either of those?

They seem pretty expensive for what you’re getting. A triple driver LUGS custom would be the same price as the SE215 based version above and, having had a set of 215s, I know where my money would be going. 

For £600, I’d be looking at a set of UE6 Pro customs (£615) or any of the multi-driver LUGS customs. 

4 hours ago, la bam said:

I've been looking at the snugs website, they come with a choice of 2 earphones and moulds:

Shure se215 at £300.

or

Shure se525 at £600.

As intime-nick says - that's a lot of money for not a great solution. I'd definitely be looking at UE6 pros instead of the se525s and I had se215s once and they were pants in comparison to any others I've had.

5 hours ago, la bam said:

Shure se215 at £300.

or

Shure se525 at £600.

Shure make decent mics, not decent inears.

Go straight to UE6. Do not pass Go. Do not collect £200.

Shure cannot hold a candle to a set of custom UE6s.

Snugs do not nail a custom fit like a custom IEM built for you.

A UE6 can be in your possession in under a fortnight (once all this Christmas nonsense is out of the way). Seriously, with your budget, do not go for Shure.

For a balanced armature mulitidriver, aim for a quad (treb, mid, bass, bass). You’ll get that from Lugs but you’ll struggle elsewhere. The UE6 is a hybrid triple so you have extended headroom in the mid and bass but still the detail in the highs due to the use of a balanced armature. Note, the low and mid drivers are dynamic drivers.

i don’t believe that there’s anything else out there that comes close to the UE6 for the money... and I’ve heard a lot of stuff!