Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

I see that the kz zs10 in ears and the behringer p2 have made what looks to be a decent set up very affordable so i'm thinking of investing ,

one of my bands is an 8 piece reggae band and i was just wandering if anyone can tell me if this set up will give me a decent reggae type bass response ?

thanks 👍

20 minutes ago, timhiggins said:

I see that the kz zs10 in ears and the behringer p2 have made what looks to be a decent set up very affordable so i'm thinking of investing ,

one of my bands is an 8 piece reggae band and i was just wandering if anyone can tell me if this set up will give me a decent reggae type bass response ?

thanks 👍

If you like sub bass, it’s likely you are going to be looking at some serious inears to get the low end response with some serious headroom. The best thing to do is give the ZS10s a go. You’ll be surprised how much those headphones can handle in the bass - and if you decide you need more, well... you are probably looking for a quad balanced armature in the lows. Having said that, some “bass heads” that I know, find the UE6s more than ample. Depends where your benchmark is I guess. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, timhiggins said:

cheers for that i think i'm going to give the s10's a go at that price and go from there

they will be mainly for giving me a clearer on stage sound when playing a club and things get mushy 

,i'm not really after extra boosted bass just better definition. 

In which case, you should have a great time on the ZS10s.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

All good stuff - glad to hear that they are living up to expectations!

The bad news is though... new band...  those boys run PSM200s....

I'm about to buy a PSM 200 set . . . having seen your post, is there any particular reason I shouldn't?

4 hours ago, King Tut said:

I'm about to buy a PSM 200 set . . . having seen your post, is there any particular reason I shouldn't?

Yes - you shouldn't buy one because they are trash.

In no particular order -

1. Awful compounder - the treble becomes harsh, brittle and fatiguing. The bass is significantly cut.

2. No headroom on the input on the transmitter. That thing clips and goes into audible distortion if you just look at it.

3. Mono. And playing in mono is no fun if you have the opportunity to play in stereo.

4. The build quality is so cheap, its embarrassing.

5. The RF performance is atrocious. It's great if you like drop outs or the sound of tuning into a radio station... or the sounds of wasps.

6. it runs on 9v batteries and enjoys sucking power. So you have the option of running rechargeables - which don't give you a decent length of operation... or burning through a 9v or 2 for every gig. Not great for the environment. The money you spend on 9v could be put towards another system that runs on rechargeable AAs.

7. Fixed frequencies - making it near enough impossible to coexist with any other wireless you may have in the same part of the spectrum (typically channel 70)

8. Absolutely horrendous limiter on the receiver - is that a ducker mixed with a distortion pedal?

9. Comes with awful 112 headphones... if you want to know exactly how bad the mix is when it arrives at the receiver, these headphones will do a good job of mashing up the final sound just that little bit more.

10. You can get equally bad performing wireless inear systems for a lot less money. You are paying a lot for a poor system just to have the privilege of buying the tried and trusted name of "Shure".

11. Do I need to go on?

They are an absolute crime to inears - and for a lot of people who "have tried inears and it was rubbish", the PSM200 is a common factor. I'm sure its the same systems that are being bought and sold on eBay as people find out exactly how awful the PSM200 is.

Go wired, or go PSM300 (with pro pack), EW300 or PSM900 (appreciate this is quite a significant price increase - but great wireless that is comparable to a hardwired connection costs money!)

Edited by EBS_freak

just received my in ear kit - zs10 and p2.

just setting the ears up, can anyone help with any tips?

What is the push button for on the little black stick?

Does it matter which earphone or pole you plug the prongs on the cable into?

The ears seem very tinny. Is this because they are in ears and not designed to be headphones?

Any other tips for fitting etc? Are you supposed to 'plug' the ear or just have it in the ear? (sorry if thats a dumb question!)

edit**

actually when ive pushed them into my ears theyre really bassy, but when i let go they move again away from my ear and go tinny.

Ive sussed it now. when i looked in the mirror it was obvious that the back of the ear phone needed to be pushed further inside my ear (if that makes sense?) to fit snugly.

Edited by la bam

27 minutes ago, la bam said:

jWhat is the push button for on the little black stick?

Push to open, It opens to put in batteries...  there is also a mono/stereo switch in there.  The guitarist in my band has the £134 Fischer.  if you pull them apart and remove the covers with the branding on it is virtually impossible to tell them apart!

The XLR can be wired with a mono cable, or a Y-cable for stereo.... 

The ZS10s are like custom moulds, (most generic buds too actually) that they need to seal into your ears for them to sound right...  If they don't sit in place try using different sized tips.  I find the foam ones best.  roll them in your fingers to warm and compress them as small as they'll go, the pop them in, and the foam will expand to form a seal in a few seconds

aaah!  I think you may have ordered yours with the wrong cable (unless you got both)  if there is an inline stick, then it has a microphone in it and the push button is an "answer call button" you'll also be able to tell if this is the case as the IEM cable has three (TRS) contacts on the 3.5mm plug, the telecom one has four...  it'll still work though...  (doesn't give you talkback capability though...  that'd be quite sweet if it did!!!)

yeh, i ordered the one with the mic - i couldnt work out what the difference was, so i ordered the all included one.

just wired everything up and gave it a whirl.

Got to say, the whole kit isnt noticeable at all when youre playing.

Just hope it performs well when we next gig.

Been following this thread with great interest.  I'd certainly like to go all in ears but our drummer will never do it as he doesn't like things in his ears and he'd never go electronic kit either so it's purely academic.

However, I've been intrigued with the talk of the KZ ZS10s so I've bought a pair to see what it's all about.  I've never been able to fit ear buds into my ears, I must have a funny ear shape, but I've managed too fit these in using the smallest rubber bits and I have to say they are mighty impressive just listening to music.

A big thank you for discovering them.

18 minutes ago, bertbass said:

Been following this thread with great interest.  I'd certainly like to go all in ears but our drummer will never do it as he doesn't like things in his ears and he'd never go electronic kit either so it's purely academic.

I don't think it has to be everyone or no one. Perhaps you can go in-ears and he can get a floor monitor.  I had this setup last week.

our drummer has a drum-tec e-kit and, whilst that makes the band sound a lot better out front (in my opinion) and he also wears IEMs, that shouldn't preclude you from using them.  Both our guitarists have conventional monitors and backline but I have used IEMs and no backline for a long while now and it works great (for me)

5 hours ago, bertbass said:

we are still all instruments and amps. im just going to use my in ears instead of a monitor. saves loads of time and space and i have volume control over it. if anything breaks i can still hear everyone as we have all our instruments and amps, as well as the pa.

22 hours ago, bertbass said:

he'd never go electronic kit either so it's purely academic.

You don't need to use an electronic kit to use in ears. Just needs some mics on it even if that's just a well placed single overhead. I definitely still prefer using an acoustic kit even though quite often an electric kit works better for the venue.

Big thanks to Russ/ EBS freak for your advice on wireless systems, after using a wired system for a year , have now bought the Sennheiser ew iem g4 , used for the first time last night . Brilliant , very easy to set up , sounds as good as wired to me !!! Cheers Russ 🙏🏼🍺

07F4089B-67BC-449D-86A5-956A2BED22EF.jpeg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, andysg42 said:

Big thanks to Russ/ EBS freak for your advice on wireless systems, after using a wired system for a year , have now bought the Sennheiser ew iem g4 , used for the first time last night . Brilliant , very easy to set up , sounds as good as wired to me !!! Cheers Russ 🙏🏼🍺

07F4089B-67BC-449D-86A5-956A2BED22EF.jpeg

No worries man. You've got an absolute killer setup there now. Roxannes and EW300 -that's a top flight rig and it's good to see that you are now where you want to be - enjoy. (Certainly a big step up from those other customs you had, right?!). Bet you're beaming like a Cheshire Cat now?!

• Like 1

Just got to pay for it now Russ 😬. Sorry to hear about your ULx d , hope it’s a quick cheap fix Russ . In ears is a revelation when you get it right , just need to get the stereo side of it working ! Mono isn’t quiet the same . Work in progress Russ . Have a great crimbo , sure I’ll be picking your brain in 2019 Russ . 🍺🍺Andy .

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, andysg42 said:

Just got to pay for it now Russ 😬. Sorry to hear about your ULx d , hope it’s a quick cheap fix Russ . In ears is a revelation when you get it right , just need to get the stereo side of it working ! Mono isn’t quiet the same . Work in progress Russ . Have a great crimbo , sure I’ll be picking your brain in 2019 Russ . 🍺🍺Andy .

Oh well, at least you'll have some fun hearing everything whilst you earn some pennies to pay for it!

ULXD - yeah, pretty bummed out. Funnily enough, I dropped an email to a guy I know in Shure and he was on the phone within a couple of minutes. Pretty good considering that they aren't open at the weekend. Guess it's the nature of the business and the time of year. All being well, shipped off on Monday, should have it back within 48 hours after it lands with them. Thats pretty decent don't you think?! He seems to think it's a quick fix - don't know about price yet though :o

Are you not running your setup stereo yet? You've got some more delights for your ears to come then! Has your desk not got enough auxes to equip everybody with stereo? What desk is it that you are running?

Quiet Christmas for me - which I'm looking forward to. As for picking my brain - any time, anywhere I can help, glad to do so.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

On 14/12/2018 at 12:59, bertbass said:

A lot of drummers hate electric kits... the thing is, choosing the right kit can make all the difference. Here's my drummer dude this weekend at a small bar gig, dark cymbals (v important!), small kit, miced in stereo for the in-ears and kick support out front. Darker cymbals, quiet acoustic kit... but as you can see, I don't think it really holds him back.

Obviously the mix sounds a bit off here as it was shot in a phone (that was in a case to further mess with the mic response) - but the whole setup sounded awesome out front.

Edited by EBS_freak