Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

On 01/12/2018 at 16:26, EBS_freak said:

You want to get something like a Behringer P2 for live use.

Is the P2 the mono version? Since I've sacked the pedalboard over the past couple of gigs and gone back to wired straight into the Orchid DI, maybe using one of these would be easier than the LD Systems IEM to cut down on the wireless kit we're running. Our keyboard player and drummer could benefit from them instead of their wireless and mixer respectively.

Are they battery powered or can you phantom power them?

Yet another theoretical IEM setup question . . 

Does this exist - digital desk (like the behringer xr18), has 20 XLR inputs AND the same amount as XLR outputs for each channel? Like a mixer / splitter all in one.

The thinking is to wheel up at small festivals / gigs and run everything into out desk (controlling our own IEM mixes) but giving the stage the split outputs for the FOH sound.

i know this isn’t the norm and we should take a split from them, but some of these small festivals we aren’t sure they have a splitter we can take outputs from.

hope that makes sense? Thanks guys 

On 02/12/2018 at 23:13, stingrayPete1977 said:

They are battery powered (2x aaa), there's a switch inside you can set for mono or stereo. 

Ordered one and it arrived yesterday. Neat bit of kit, simple enough to use and switch to mono. Will drag the funk trunk out later and test it with the mixer against the IEMs. 

• Like 1

On 03/12/2018 at 22:06, stingrayPete1977 said:

The x air xr18 has ultranet which I think would do exactly what you want but I not familiar with it myself. 

@Me And My Bass - The Ultranet is proprietary Behringer to work with their personal monitoring mixer (eg Aviom ripoff). However, when I say proprietary, it has been reverse engineered and proven to be PCM with some framing. The reverse engineers key use for this was seen as recording from a distance (there's a limit on USB cable length for using the inbuilt interface - or you'd have to leave a laptop/multitrack recorder in the viscinity of the mixer) using ethernet... Anyway, on face value, it looks like that it wouldn't take too much to convert it back to analaogue... especially when you look through the code in the github account linked in the link I'm about to put up... but you would be at the mercy of latency I suspect.

Anyway, the link from my bookmarks is here - https://reverseengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/10860/how-do-i-work-out-the-ultranet-protocol

The most portable solution I can think of that would give you the most outs on a digital box would be something like a Mackie DL32R or a Behringer X32 rack/Midas Core with the expansion outs. But they still wouldn't give you a 1-1 mapping ins to out. The coolest solution would be used to split via a Dante card so you can keep everything in the digital domain between the monitor desk and foh desk - which is effectively what you are trying to achieve. In reality, this isn't likely to be that practical as you are not able to... a - guarantee all digital mixers will have a dante card installed b - an engineer who is capable of configuring dante. On the smaller scene, I can pretty much guarantee that a and b will definitely not be in your favour.

So, the easiest - and still universally acceptable solution to do an analogue split, is with an isolated split - (stops phantom power being sent to between mixers and provides proper isolation to avoid ground loops etc). You may want to get an XLR loom to plug into your mixer... (whatever it may be - not really important) and buy the appropriate number of split boxes such as (trying to avoid breaking the bank here) the studiospares Red800 (£125 per 8 channels),  Orchid mic split (£215 per 8 channels),  Art S8 (around £230 per 8 channels).... Considering a Dante card is circa £500+ depending upon your mixer and even then, not guaranteed to be useful... and will add to the complexity when working with other people... the Red800 is quite appealing don't you think?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyf said:

Ordered one and it arrived yesterday. Neat bit of kit, simple enough to use and switch to mono. Will drag the funk trunk out later and test it with the mixer against the IEMs. 

Jeez, Tony going straight in old skool and wired. What is happening to the world?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Jeez, Tony going straight in old skool and wired. What is happening to the world?

It's a plan B, just in case I do go wired with the bass.

Are going through a bit of a declutter in general though. Have unloaded the Sony wireless and the EBS MicroBass from the pedalboard which I'll run on the next gig. No other pedals. Can power the MicroBass from the board using phantom power and the receiver will be in the funk trunk so there's no clutter out front. With this setup, I'll use the wireless for IEMs. However, if I choose not to use the Sony, I can then wire into the MicroBass (or the Orchid) and will then use the P2 for the IEMs. 

Nice to have some options.

22 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

@Me And My Bass - The Ultranet is proprietary Behringer to work with their personal monitoring mixer (eg Aviom ripoff). However, when I say proprietary, it has been reverse engineered and proven to be PCM with some framing. The reverse engineers key use for this was seen as recording from a distance (there's a limit on USB cable length for using the inbuilt interface - or you'd have to leave a laptop/multitrack recorder in the viscinity of the mixer) using ethernet... Anyway, on face value, it looks like that it wouldn't take too much to convert it back to analaogue... especially when you look through the code in the github account linked in the link I'm about to put up... but you would be at the mercy of latency I suspect.

Anyway, the link from my bookmarks is here - https://reverseengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/10860/how-do-i-work-out-the-ultranet-protocol

The most portable solution I can think of that would give you the most outs on a digital box would be something like a Mackie DL32R or a Behringer X32 rack/Midas Core with the expansion outs. But they still wouldn't give you a 1-1 mapping ins to out. The coolest solution would be used to split via a Dante card so you can keep everything in the digital domain between the monitor desk and foh desk - which is effectively what you are trying to achieve. In reality, this isn't likely to be that practical as you are not able to... a - guarantee all digital mixers will have a dante card installed b - an engineer who is capable of configuring dante. On the smaller scene, I can pretty much guarantee that a and b will definitely not be in your favour.

So, the easiest - and still universally acceptable solution to do an analogue split, is with an isolated split - (stops phantom power being sent to between mixers and provides proper isolation to avoid ground loops etc). You may want to get an XLR loom to plug into your mixer... (whatever it may be - not really important) and buy the appropriate number of split boxes such as (trying to avoid breaking the bank here) the studiospares Red800 (£125 per 8 channels),  Orchid mic split (£215 per 8 channels),  Art S8 (around £230 per 8 channels).... Considering a Dante card is circa £500+ depending upon your mixer and even then, not guaranteed to be useful... and will add to the complexity when working with other people... the Red800 is quite appealing don't you think?

Thanks for that, yeah something like the X32 and x2 Red800's in a rack case would be the answer. I will let you's know how l get on! Thanks again for the info, amazing resource the forum!

On 06/12/2018 at 09:52, Me And My Bass said:

Thanks for that, yeah something like the X32 and x2 Red800's in a rack case would be the answer. I will let you's know how l get on! Thanks again for the info, amazing resource the forum!

Cool - I think the analogue split pre your mixer is still going to be the most practical in the real world. Every venue/situation is going to be able to be cool with analogue.

I presume you are talking X32 rack - be aware that you only get half the I/O on board. You'll need a break out box, or something like a Midas core with a s32 or an X32 with a s16 or sd16 (stage box) to get the full I/O available to you.

I guess your requirement on that front is all down to the size of your band.

On 21/02/2018 at 14:18, jrixn1 said:

I've never used any other in-ears, so I'm unable to offer a comparison.  

So the 215 sound good to me and I'm happy, but noting that I don't know what I'm missing out on.

On 21/02/2018 at 15:28, EBS_freak said:

@Osiris

@jrixn1 is right - the 215s will enable you to do a job - but I would urge both of you to try and get into the world of quad drivers. @thommydonuts@dood@tonyf

So "sounds good to me and I'm happy" was what I thought back in February - but now having done some more gigs, I think "does the job [adequately]" is what I feel. They are ok.

I don't have the budget for hundreds of pounds but I'll think I'll try the KZ ZS10 at £33.

(Btw sorry for all the "@mentions"... I didn't know how to delete them from the quote)

Edited by jrixn1

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

So "sounds good to me and I'm happy" was what I thought back in February - but now having done some more gigs, I think "does the job [adequately]" is what I feel. They are ok.

I don't have the budget for hundreds of pounds but I'll think I'll try the KZ ZS10 at £33.

(Btw sorry for all the "@mentions"... I didn't know how to delete them from the quote)

The KS10s should be a significant step up in terms of headroom. You should be able to get more bass response with less chance of distortion. They are a bit of a no brainer option given their cost... I don't think there is any cheaper way of getting the sort of headroom you'll crave as a bass player.

Of course, I could go on about better isolation, customs etc... but thats a world away from £33.

Anyway, get them ordered up and report back on how you find the ZS10s!

• Like 1

My UE6s landed just over a week ago and have been used on four gigs. They're a much better fit than my reshelled UE900s and they therefore have far better isolation. As a result of that and the dynamic drivers they have so much punch in comparison that it's quite a significant improvement. I'm hearing everything and really enjoying my playing so much. I'm starting with a new band in the new year with loads of gigs booked and I'm feeling so positive about it knowing that I'll be able to hear everything that's happening. Thanks EBS_freak for keeping me pointed in the right direction! 

_20181130_094259.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrtcat said:

My UE6s landed just over a week ago and have been used on four gigs. They're a much better fit than my reshelled UE900s and they therefore have far better isolation. As a result of that and the dynamic drivers they have so much punch in comparison that it's quite a significant improvement. I'm hearing everything and really enjoying my playing so much. I'm starting with a new band in the new year with loads of gigs booked and I'm feeling so positive about it knowing that I'll be able to hear everything that's happening. Thanks EBS_freak for keeping me pointed in the right direction! 

_20181130_094259.JPG

All good stuff - glad to hear that they are living up to expectations!

The bad news is though... new band...  those boys run PSM200s....

56 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Haha, I'll be sticking my psm300 in the rack. They have a good mixer.

Edited by mrtcat

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Dave has bought a wireless unit second hand for £35, its gonna sound ace! :facepalm:

What's he going to have in his in ears anyway? No digital desk, no auxes and no one is going into the pa AFAIK. Lol

9 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Dave has bought a wireless unit second hand for £35, its gonna sound ace! :facepalm:

What's he going to have in his in ears anyway? No digital desk, no auxes and no one is going into the pa AFAIK. Lol

Ah yes, another “I tried in ears and they sounded crap” candidate in the making.