Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

Ahem, I seem to have started down the slippery slope of IEMs, well, when I say started, I mean I’m already on the slope but seem to be accelerating. Just ordered some UE6 Pros at the UK Drum Show - the universals sounded great (thanks for taking the time to let me try them in a quieter environment EBS_freak) and, all being well, I’ll have them in time for our next gig.  I do have a pair of LUGS custom quads which I really like but I always prefer to take backups of the important bits of kit to gigs and, as I’m now playing sans-backline, it seems to me that it’s no different to taking a backup amp albeit a lot easier to carry 😀😀

• Thanks 1

Good to meet you Nick - took me a while to place you but got there in the end! The UE6s proved pretty popular today... I think out of all the inears that were out, people seemed to gravitate towards the sound (and price) of them.

Let me know if you want some help with your sine wave too - I think I made sense with the brief explanation - but hit me up if you need a hand.

Currently out and about seeing the sights of Manchester night life... I think I’ve come to sad realisation that I’m beginning to get old... those girls must be awfully chilly in some of the clothes that they aren’t wearing.

Edited by EBS_freak

I'm still having problems with my ACS'. I lost the right ear during the first gig I did with them, then after the warranty repair, that same ear started distorting. Then after the warranty repair for that, the left has started intermittently going silent. If you squeeze the shell slightly the sound comes back so it's something to do with the connector in the IEM.

These IEM's were not cheap and I am 100% disappointed with their performance; I found them to be underwhelming even when they were working OK. Fairplay to ACS, they have been quick to respond and totally compliant in sorting out the repairs, but I really shouldn't be having these problems with what I consider a mid-to-upper range product. Plus they didn't offer any recompense on the cost of postage until I kicked up a fuss a little.

The upshot is that I'm probably going to look for alternative IEM's next year, which means going through the rigmarole of getting my impressions done again and forking out more money.... :(

• Sad 1

Man, Moog, I'm sorry to hear about your woes with ACS and especially the cables. They just seem to have outrageously bad reliability with the cables especially and the lack of headroom... Even on my triples, the performance is more than a little disappointing. I don't really know what to suggest but I am sorry to hear about your experience. I guarantee not all IEMs and experiences share the same outcome for the end user.

I don't want to sit here and slag ACS - because there are many happy users of them... a couple of guys I know love theirs... but for bass players and drummers, there is something defo not right about them in regard to being able to cope with headroom before distortion in the lows. I know that Andy is dead against big low end... so maybe that is it. The cables though... maybe thats just a result of being a silicon design... I don't know. But I don't know of any other IEM brand that has anywhere near the same failure rate. I landed a mid week residency with a band that don't have any sort of IEM thing going on... so I thought I would break out the ACS lives to use as variable volume ear plugs... oh yes, thats right, the cable was knackered. So took the cable housing apart to see if I could fix it.. and managed to. Got to the gig.. and the mics couldn't handle the SPL of standing next to the drummer :( (If I padded the input as far as it would go, there was then not enough gain to bring the output up to a decent volume). So annoying because it's such a great concept.

Anyway, silicon and cables... is that the problem because they are always subject to a certain amount of flex? Well, I dunno... Spiralear don't appear to have the same issue for example - another silicone based IEM manufacturer.

I’ve been pretty careful with mine, especially after reading about the cables on here, but it appears I’ve had two failures based around the connectors. I’ll get them fixed (again) but I can just see it happening again. I’ll persevere for now!

• 3 weeks later...

UE6 Pros coming tomorrow - will be an interesting comparison to my LUGS quads.  Also got a Behringer P2 today as a backup for my EW300G3 (and for when I’m stood right next to the mixer) plus a stereo cable adaptor from OBBM to use a single XLR to the P2.

we had a gig last week and because our mixer and IEM kit is racked up and I have no backline, I realised I was set up after having taken the front & rear covers off the rack case and plugged it in - downside is I ended up bringing in a lot of the guitarists amps/cabs/pedalboards as I had very little else to do until soundcheck 😀😀

3 hours ago, intime-nick said:

downside is I ended up bringing in a lot of the guitarists amps/cabs/pedalboards as I had very little else to do until soundcheck 

Why weren’t you backstage canoodling with the groupies?

Was going to ask you if your UE6s had landed - the drum show orders seemed to be landing with their owners this week.

2 hours ago, intime-nick said:

First try of the UE6 Pros at band practice tonight.  First impressions are very good indeed - gig on Saturday for a full test. 

Good stuff - so how are they comparing with the lugs so far? And wheres the pic? :p

23 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Heads up - at London in Olympia with CIEM co at the drum show if anybody wants to have a listen to stuff.

Cheeky question but are there likely to be any "deals" at the show. I'm possibly coming with my drummer and would definitely be interested in some UE6's. Reduced price ear impressions maybe lol?

18 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Cheeky question but are there likely to be any "deals" at the show. I'm possibly coming with my drummer and would definitely be interested in some UE6's. Reduced price ear impressions maybe lol?

Umm... possibly... I'd say it's a high probability! I don't get to know the deals until the day but it's usually worthwhile making the effort to go. There's usually free impressions on offer, so that will typically cover your transport and entrance fee for starters... and the discounts are usually pretty sizeable to make a visit worthwhile... but that's' about all I know before the show. 

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1