Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

15 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Outrageous behaviour.

Nah, I'm just lucky enough to have bandmates that are all committed to in ears and to making continuous sensible upgrades to our kit. As a result we have solid pa and a decent foh sound. Oh yeah a diary full of gigs helps keep them on-board too lol.

• Like 1

Do any of you who own the KZ ZS10's have the cable that includes the mic? Is it any good at picking up ambient noise to help reduce the feeling of isolation? Or is it crap? If so, how?

The option to have the mic is only £1 more on Amazon so I'm wondering whether to go for it or not? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CM6Y82R/ref=twister_B07CVHH8SN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 minute ago, Osiris said:

Do any of you who own the KZ ZS10's have the cable that includes the mic? Is it any good at picking up ambient noise to help reduce the feeling of isolation? Or is it crap? If so, how?

The option to have the mic is only £1 more on Amazon so I'm wondering whether to go for it or not? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CM6Y82R/ref=twister_B07CVHH8SN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The mic is only for hands free mobile use. It's not naturally designed as an ambient system, though I feel with a bit of rewiring and a better element, it could actually work! 

• Thanks 1

On 03/09/2018 at 17:14, EBS_freak said:

I was incredibly lucky to pick up an open box from the Music Group eBay page for £150! - I've just looked in the hope of finding another but alas they are all full price on The Bay. I really like this little dude. Especially when I go all stereo!

Looks like Sennheiser is now gunning after Shure in the IEM market. So single dynamic in a Shure like casing? That'd be the 215 competitor then. I'm guessing the 400 and 500 pro will be mapping nicely to the Shure range.

Looking at the Bax prices - £115 for the 215 competitor...

EDIT : https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/ie40pro

Looks like street price could undercut the Shures...

Edited by EBS_freak

On 06/09/2018 at 18:49, Dood said:

The mic is only for hands free mobile use. It's not naturally designed as an ambient system, though I feel with a bit of rewiring and a better element, it could actually work! 

Thanks for that @Dood, I'm not sure that I have the knowledge of skills to do something like that so it sounds like the mic-less option is the one for me :)

Edited by Osiris

On 06/09/2018 at 18:49, Dood said:

Never tried it - but this kinda looks like ambient on a budget...

https://www.olenstechnology.com/product/fuser-music-ambient-sound-mixer-2/

5 hours ago, mrtcat said:

@intime-nick how are you getting on with the Lugs? I've just seen their D5s are £400. That's a huge amount for not much cash in IEM world.

Good, second gig with them this Friday and I’ve used them at a few band rehearsals.  Sound-wise, I have only my UE900s to compare them to (I have some SE215s and KZ ZS10s and, whilst OK, aren’t really in the same sort of league) and they compete favourably. Of course, it’s not a direct comparison with a custom fit vs. universals and the extra isolation provided by the customs is probably the most important upgrade.  Sound is a very personal thing but, for me, they work very well - better stereo separation  and I can run them a lot quieter than the universals.  The whole band mix sounds so much better than before and my bass (the most important thing obviously 😉) sounds well defined and has plenty of low end extension and headroom. Overall, they sound very well balanced  

Rob @ LUGS did make me a slightly different driver setup than his standard quad offering with 2x low, a stronger mid driver and a high.  Overall, for the money, cannot complain.  As with all these things, you can always spend more money but with exponentially decreasing gains - same as all gear I suppose. I will run them for the next few gigs and then see what the longer term impression of them is - I feel I may be turning into an IEM-a-holic though....

As for the other multi-driver IEMs they are now offering -  the 8 / side option sounds tempting or maybe some UE6s or something else - this is now getting worse than picking amps and cabs ! (although at least they take up less room in my house)

6 hours ago, intime-nick said:

Good, second gig with them this Friday and I’ve used them at a few band rehearsals.  Sound-wise, I have only my UE900s to compare them to (I have some SE215s and KZ ZS10s and, whilst OK, aren’t really in the same sort of league) and they compete favourably. Of course, it’s not a direct comparison with a custom fit vs. universals and the extra isolation provided by the customs is probably the most important upgrade.  Sound is a very personal thing but, for me, they work very well - better stereo separation  and I can run them a lot quieter than the universals.  The whole band mix sounds so much better than before and my bass (the most important thing obviously 😉) sounds well defined and has plenty of low end extension and headroom. Overall, they sound very well balanced  

Rob @ LUGS did make me a slightly different driver setup than his standard quad offering with 2x low, a stronger mid driver and a high.  Overall, for the money, cannot complain.  As with all these things, you can always spend more money but with exponentially decreasing gains - same as all gear I suppose. I will run them for the next few gigs and then see what the longer term impression of them is - I feel I may be turning into an IEM-a-holic though....

As for the other multi-driver IEMs they are now offering -  the 8 / side option sounds tempting or maybe some UE6s or something else - this is now getting worse than picking amps and cabs ! (although at least they take up less room in my house)

That's great thanks Nick. I'm going to give him a shout I think. I really like dealing with small businesses and from what I see of him on Facebook he seems really approachable and quick to respond. 

Rob is very accommodating and helpful so it’s definitely worth an enquiry (tell him I mentioned LUGS on BC as I told him there may be some more enquiries coming from this forum - I’ve no affiliation with them, but it’s always nice to support a small business that’s doing good work)

New IEM’s arrived ! 3 week wait . Looking forward to using them Sunday night . Tried them with the headphone jack on my practice amp . Sound amazing , so big . No problem with low B’s . Thanks to EBS freak and Paul from the custom iem co for all the Help and advice 👍🍻

5749D26B-0E9D-4A63-A10A-771A0795F879.jpeg

C5B48A15-182A-4812-8460-D34F87754418.jpeg

Edited by andysg42
Duplicates

1 hour ago, andysg42 said:

New IEM’s arrived ! 3 week wait . Looking forward to using them Sunday night . Tried them with the headphone jack on my practice amp . Sound amazing , so big . No problem with low B’s . Thanks to EBS freak and Paul from the custom iem co for all the Help and advice 👍🍻

5749D26B-0E9D-4A63-A10A-771A0795F879.jpeg

C5B48A15-182A-4812-8460-D34F87754418.jpeg

Mmmm Roxannes. You can join the guy at FedEx with your Roxs... Although I'd wager yours fit your ears! 😛

Enjoy! And we are all looking for the lowdown post gig!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, intime-nick said:

You’d have to check with Rob but I’m sure his standard quads are 1x low, 2x mid, 1x high. I ordered mine with 2x low. 

Just did, quads are 2xlow 1xmid 1xhigh so I’m fine with that, unless someone says I really should go with the 5s which are 2xbass 1xlow-mid 1xhigh-mid 1xhigh