Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

24 minutes ago, owen said:

Where re-shells UE900s?

Bit tricky at the moment - maybe I should offer my services in the reshelling world. Don't think I could be doing with the overhead though at the moment!

Anyway, there's these guys - but can't vouch for how good they are -

https://www.null-audio.com/collections/earphone-remolding-service

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Bit tricky at the moment - maybe I should offer my services in the reshelling world. Don't think I could be doing with the overhead though at the moment!

Anyway, there's these guys - but can't vouch for how good they are -

https://www.null-audio.com/collections/earphone-remolding-service

Really the only options to reshell are a company in Singapore or convincing you?! 

It would look that way - I'm looking to see what else is out there. There's not really that much profit in reshelling so I can understand why the manufacturers go for selling their own premade solutions.

Theres quite a few people I know looking for options on the reshell front now. Bit of a void now that inearz have pulled out of that market. Guess they are concentrating on pushing the Apex stuff right now.

My KZ ZS10s arrived this morning  They take quite a bit more energy to drive than M6 Pro's but they definitely have more separation and clarity, and sound bloody great, but a replacement for 64Audio, UE, JH, etc they are absolutely not!  I was expecting more low end, sub and low mid...   However, they were £33!!  For spare Generics (for deps, etc)  I'll probably stick with carrying some M6's, but for myself, I will happily use the ZS10s until I can afford to get customs done...   Has anyone else pulled the trigger yet?  Would be interested in your thoughts!

• Thanks 2

The higher impedance will lead to them taking a bit more to drive. Interesting about the lack of low end - I thought it would be the top end that you'd notice a dip in more... or is it that they are just quite quiet all round? I suppose it may be you need a proper headphone amp to drive them to operate to the published spec?

I am still awaiting my KZ ZS10s. They are probably on a slow boat from China.I got them as demos in the hope that I can persuade the others in the band to go the in-ear route.

I used my own InEarz P450s for the first time at a gig last Friday as my band has now got a Behringer XR18 digital mixer and someone who knows how to use it! Multiple monitor outs meant that we could all have an individual mix, although the others used floor monitors.

For me, it was excellent, with clear reception and a true revelation. I could hear my vocals so could pitch and as I took my signal from the amp to the mixer to my inears, my bass reproduction was clear and uncoloured. It was so clear that I had to visually double check a few times that I was fretting the notes correctly as it sounded almost a half fret out as I was playing up the dusty end of the neck. I reset the intonation on my bass last night as it was slightly off so that was probably the reason. We're gigging again this Saturday so I can check that again.

Well happy.

• Like 1

Just now, GrahamT said:

I am still awaiting my KZ ZS10s. They are probably on a slow boat from China.I got them as demos in the hope that I can persuade the others in the band to go the in-ear route.

I used my own InEarz P450s for the first time at a gig last Friday as my band has now got a Behringer XR18 digital mixer and someone who knows how to use it! Multiple monitor outs meant that we could all have an individual mix, although the others used floor monitors.

For me, it was excellent, with clear reception and a true revelation. I could hear my vocals so could pitch and as I took my signal from the amp to the mixer to my inears, my bass reproduction was clear and uncoloured. It was so clear that I had to visually double check a few times that I was fretting the notes correctly as it sounded almost a half fret out as I was playing up the dusty end of the neck. I reset the intonation on my bass last night as it was slightly off so that was probably the reason. We're gigging again this Saturday so I can check that again.

Well happy.

And that's the revelation right there!

• Haha 1

Oh, and I forgot to say that at rehearsal on Tuesday, the guitarists asked me to turn up my volume (a first!!) as they could't hear me properly in the mix. I was so comfortable with my own in-ear volume that I didn't check the level coming from my cab!

Behringer have developed X-Air control apps for the XR18 which work on tablets and laptops but nothing for iPhones. Understandable really as the control surface is very small. However, I have discovered an app which works on my iPhone that permits adjustment of just the monitor mixes and volumes, nothing to the main mix etc. I tried it out on Tuesday and it works very well. I can select any of the monitor mixes and adjust them from the stage which saves complex and confusing hand waving to the sound engineer between songs. A quick chat between us on stage and I can alter the settings as required. It's called XAir Monitor Mixer by Eric Tetz. £3.99.

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

And that's the revelation right there!

Level 1 revelation for me was the initial run through using my IEMs with the XR18. Level 2, 3 & 4 was receiving a full stereo mix, loading plug ins, saving personalised mixes and then leaving my amps at home! I am a convert! Love it!! 

3 hours ago, MoJoKe said:

My KZ ZS10s arrived this morning  They take quite a bit more energy to drive than M6 Pro's but they definitely have more separation and clarity, and sound bloody great, but a replacement for 64Audio, UE, JH, etc they are absolutely not!  I was expecting more low end, sub and low mid...   However, they were £33!!  For spare Generics (for deps, etc)  I'll probably stick with carrying some M6's, but for myself, I will happily use the ZS10s until I can afford to get customs done...   Has anyone else pulled the trigger yet?  Would be interested in your thoughts!

Definitely intrigued, even for just listening to music through when I don't want to take my IEMs out. As an IEM spare set, for this money it's almost a no brainer to get me out of a pickle, even if I'd prefer a nice set of 64 Audio as a spare. (zero budget = not going to happen) .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

The higher impedance will lead to them taking a bit more to drive. Interesting about the lack of low end - I thought it would be the top end that you'd notice a dip in more... or is it that they are just quite quiet all round? I suppose it may be you need a proper headphone amp to drive them to operate to the published spec?

I think you've nailed it right there.  I have so far tested them with my phone (Samsung S8 - No noticeable difference between M6's and ZS10s here at all), my studio interface/mixer (KMI K-Mix - with a slightly higher headphone gain, they are definitely working better!), but not with my IEM gear yet....  I'll try and do that this evening!

The low end issue...  there's plenty there, I just expected more...  for testing bass I used Boz Scaggs - "thanks to you"  and my current fave PA setup test track, Umphrey's McGee's "Booth Love" ( https://youtu.be/3SwFSAGPgWw - if you don't know it).  both of those will cause serious issues with crap gear!

30 minutes ago, dood said:

Level 1 revelation for me was the initial run through using my IEMs with the XR18. Level 2, 3 & 4 was receiving a full stereo mix, loading plug ins, saving personalised mixes and then leaving my amps at home! I am a convert! Love it!! 

Yup, same here.  I am still totally in love with my Markbass Multiamp, and it lives in a 3u rack with my G55 and LD MEI1000 (still, for the timebeing!), add a midi pedal, a bass or two, and I'm done!  Straight into the PA, I rarely take cabs out these days!

• Like 1

OK, so I left my ZS10s running in for a couple of hours on my audio interface, running Spotify...  They are definitely better for it, and they are definitely growing on me!

I've also run them through all the IEM gear I have here, which includes LD MEI1000, a Sennheiser ew300 G3, and a Shure PSM200 (Buds aside, I've not done that comparison before...  the ew300 is best by a country mile, but I've got to say, IMHO I think the LD is better than the Shure...  now that was a surprise!).  All good with the ZS10's, plenty of output to drive them with all systems....

As you said @dood , as a spare pair of back up generics or when you don't want to carry your really expensive ones out and about, these really are a no-brainer...

You definitely need to replace the tips with some decent Comply ones, as the ones they come with are pants!

17 minutes ago, MoJoKe said:

OK, so I left my ZS10s running in for a couple of hours on my audio interface, running Spotify...  They are definitely better for it, and they are definitely growing on me!

I've also run them through all the IEM gear I have here, which includes LD MEI1000, a Sennheiser ew300 G3, and a Shure PSM200 (Buds aside, I've not done that comparison before...  the ew300 is best by a country mile, but I've got to say, IMHO I think the LD is better than the Shure...  now that was a surprise!).  All good with the ZS10's, plenty of output to drive them with all systems....

As you said @dood , as a spare pair of back up generics or when you don't want to carry your really expensive ones out and about, these really are a no-brainer...

You definitely need to replace the tips with some decent Comply ones, as the ones they come with are pants!

Right, well then I might give them a go then! How's the sound over all? Does it have a peaky top end or say more smoother? 

6 hours ago, GrahamT said:

Behringer have developed X-Air control apps for the XR18 which work on tablets and laptops but nothing for iPhones. Understandable really as the control surface is very small.

It's a shame they don't cater for iPhones but the X-Air app works on all android phones. 

7 hours ago, dood said:

Definitely intrigued, even for just listening to music through when I don't want to take my IEMs out. As an IEM spare set, for this money it's almost a no brainer to get me out of a pickle, even if I'd prefer a nice set of 64 Audio as a spare. (zero budget = not going to happen) .

This is why I've brought a set. Love using my V8s where it's nice and safe at work but there's other places I'm less convinced of plugging in such an expensive pair of head candy. Have a pair of UE900s as a spare set but the KZ10s are just too good a deal to pass up. Don't expect them to be in the same league as the V8s but for an "out and about" pair, more than happy to take a punt. 

I've already primed the others in the band who are using Shure SE535s and 425s. Maybe they'll offer more drivers for less dollar for the others.

1 hour ago, tonyf said:

This is why I've brought a set. Love using my V8s where it's nice and safe at work but there's other places I'm less convinced of plugging in such an expensive pair of head candy. Have a pair of UE900s as a spare set but the KZ10s are just too good a deal to pass up. Don't expect them to be in the same league as the V8s but for an "out and about" pair, more than happy to take a punt. 

I've already primed the others in the band who are using Shure SE535s and 425s. Maybe they'll offer more drivers for less dollar for the others.

I wanna red set lol. Can only find blue or black..