Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

On 11/04/2018 at 18:15, Ceebass said:

Has anyone come across these before?

https://www.amazon.com/Earbuds-KZ-Headphones-Drivers-Microphone/dp/B07BQ2CL5W/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_267_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5HVGQDHRN9MCA53G5XDE

Some guys on an American gospel forum I'm in were raving about them- they seem too good to true...

Regarding the KZ headphones, the link above is for the KZ ZS10 set, Amazon UK has a number of different KZ models (although I couldn't find the ZS10's) including some dual and triple driver models all at under £50. They seem to be getting generally favourable reviews too. Amazon's no quibble returns policy means that it might just be worth taking a punt. Any takers???

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=KZ+&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AKZ+

1 hour ago, GrahamT said:

Apparently they don't ship to the UK. Any suggestions as to how I can get hold of a couple of sets?

I ordered a pair from geekbuying.com yesterday. They'll ship to UK but takes a couple of weeks. 

26 minutes ago, GrahamT said:

I found some ZS10 s on ebay and ordered a set. £32.10. Delivery 1st May to 1st June.

Looking forward to hearing what you think once they arrive. Keep us posted!

Ah sod it. I'll join in too. Off to geekbuy to have a closer look. 32 Ohm for starters... so they are harder to drive than your typical IEM.

geekbuying-KZ-ZS10-10-Drivers-Dynamic-He

Interestingly enough, if that response graph is to be believed, these headphones will be proper mellow in the highs due to that steep roll off. Also, that peak between 2k and 5k is a little worrying - that is where the human ear is most sensitive (think baby's crying)... so they could sound quite harsh. The bass looks fairly encouraging - but that will be down to the imbalance between the dynamic and balanced armatures. In short, from that graph, far from flat. Could make for an interesting piece - just got to wait for it to arrive.

"Shocking bass" would never be a marketing term I would use either! :P

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Thanks 1

I've uploaded the response of my Roxannes (bass in neutral position on the controller) - as you can see, the troublesome balanced armature 2k region is still present in these also. That's the nature of balanced armatures for you!

roxanneresponse.jpg

• Like 1

And the UE reference monitors (which are sold as being as flat as you could realistically expect)

Again, smooth until you get into the 2k and above region. This is where the crossovers are critical - and simply sticking drivers in a shell makes for an awful sounding earpiece. Funnily enough though - and as JH has often stated - flat is boring - but crucially it's what the earpiece is doing in the 1kJz+ range that makes or breaks the IEM.

UEreference.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MoJoKe said:

HOW MUCH? That is ludicrous! I'm getting me a pair of them....  

I know! - I'm not too mad keen on the response curve but I guess the proof is in the eating (although I don't think eating IEMs are the tastiest things to be consuming).

Certainly got to be a better option than a 215 or M6 - at least these have a chance of being a bit more meaty... and the inclusion of the dynamic is nice. :)