Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1509632965' post='3400471']
Have just pulled the trigger on a pair of UE900s.
[/quote]
Naughty.

Next question... colour scheme... design? (As you know, thats the hardest decision to make)

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1509633087' post='3400473']
Naughty.

Next question... colour scheme... design? (As you know, thats the hardest decision to make)
[/quote]

Dunno yet, no idea. Hadn't even thought that far ahead. As it's the B-Team, maybe something from the standard colours to keep the cost down.

Unless there's an orange or a blue sparkle. I'm a sucker for a bit of sparkle! lol

Need to get my 1964 V8s cleaned. Over time, bits of wax have accumulated in the ports. The cleaning tool supplied has been semi successful but it's managed to push bits of wax further into the ports. Can't actually get to some of it now and I'm worried it's starting to affect the output of some of the drivers.

Any ideas?

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1509637275' post='3400516']
Need to get my 1964 V8s cleaned. Over time, bits of wax have accumulated in the ports. The cleaning tool supplied has been semi successful but it's managed to push bits of wax further into the ports. Can't actually get to some of it now and I'm worried it's starting to affect the output of some of the drivers.

Any ideas?
[/quote]
Hearing aid vac.

64 actually sell one on their site.
EDIT - here it is - https://www.64audio.com/product/Jodi-Vac-Consumer

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1509647982' post='3400619']
We designed a custom Waistpack Sport Pouch

My life is complete!
[/quote]
I know, right!

I'm just hoping it arrives soon. I may be dead yet before I do at least one gig on it!

I'm hoping this is infinitely more portable than a bass board... and delivers some pelt! :-p

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1509640841' post='3400547']
Hearing aid vac.

64 actually sell one on their site.
EDIT - here it is - [url="https://www.64audio.com/product/Jodi-Vac-Consumer"]https://www.64audio....di-Vac-Consumer[/url]
[/quote]

Pricey but if it works, all is good in the hood. Need to order one of those once payday swings around.

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1509705146' post='3400980']
Pricey but if it works, all is good in the hood. Need to order one of those once payday swings around.
[/quote]
Yeah - if you need to send you inears back for wax removal, it would be as expensive as getting a vac. It's on my list of stuff to get... just never been near the top of the list.

Edited by EBS_freak

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2017 at 15:41, tonyf said:

Any ideas?

If your carful.. maybe a blunt needle and a syringe could be used to suck the small debris from the ports. 

Black Friday deals starting to come in -

Get 20% off Custom In-Ear Monitors + Accessories during our Black Friday Weekend Sale event. Lock in this great value and send your ear impressions in later. Sale runs this week from Friday - Sunday.

Shop at www.64audio.com/store
Use Promo Code: BF2017

This sale only applies to new orders and can’t be stacked with any other discount. A2e, U18t, U12t, Trio, Fourte, Chord Mojo not applicable. Due to exclusive distributor agreements, direct orders are not available from Sweden, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, Japan, Russia. Please see your local distributor for more info. Promotion is only available Friday, Nov 24, 12:01am - Sunday, Nov 26, 11:59pm PST.

OK - I realise that the monitor mix that I did way back has vanished due to be in my attachments prior to the basschat migration.

Anyway, I'd like to think that I've moved on from where I was, especially now I am running a dedicated monitoring desk and dropping waves plugins and the like into the mix. Yeah, I guess I'm getting pretty serious about inears and the stuff! For those truly geeking - I've got a FoH desk, a monitoring desk, a broadcast desk (for Facebook live mixes etc) - all connected via Dante. (By running DAWs on various other connected Macs for example, I'm kinda limitless on the mixing front now). And of course, with Dante, it's easy to record the gig from all points of views (FoH mixes, ears mixes etc... with Dante virtual sound card). The stereo outputs to the inears were pushed to a Mac recording what you hear. There were also another other recorders (one DL32R and DAWs running -  as this particular gig may be going onto video so absolutely wanted to make sure I had loads of redundancy! - Anyway, the resulting audio will sync nicely with the video being captured (independently to the feed that was sent via the live broadcast). Here's my den underneath the stage which was hosting the Dante switches, computers, mixers etc!

j0l0dy.jpg

And here was the view from the front before the punters arrived...

mwz05x.jpg

Anyway, this was in ear mix for the female lead vocalist - hence the lead vocal being very prominent in the mix.

Thing of note on this mix, it's not a mix that your would want to commit to record - it's tailored towards what the inear user wants. In this case, the vocal is really pushed (after all, which vocalist doesn't want to hear more of themselves? - same with drummers and bass drums (incidentally I have a separate channel for dealing with the drummers bass drum wants!).

Any mono feeds have had pseudo stereo effects applied (to give more stereo spread) and panned appropriately to help try and avoid everything being central in the in ear user's head. The more you can shift from the centre position the better (helps things sound a lot more natural and less fatiguing). Hopefully you can hear the instruments spread across the soundscape. Personally, I don't like the sound of the stereo spread on the lead vocal when listening back - but when performing, it's great and gives a sense of space in your head.

For those that complain about isolation, there's two hard panned condenser mics pointing toward the audience (3500 of them on this gig) - hopefully you can get a sense of them being in the room with you, especially at the beginning and the end of the song.

2c11sl.jpg

Have a listen on headphones and see what you reckon... and tell me if you've ever played a gig with a wedge that sounds anywhere near as good as this!

FemaleVox-HigherAndHigher.mp3

Edited by EBS_freak

@EBS_freak - and for the sake of others reading too. Literally in the last couple of minutes, the connector on my IEMs has disintegrated as I coiled my IEMs carefully in to their case! YIKES! I'm glad it happened now and now whilst I was at a gig. Of course I have ping'd out a mail to the rather awesome The Custom IEM Company, but whilst I am here, it might be a good time to look at 3rd party vendors who are making really well made cables that are tough but not bank breaking in terms of cost. I can see where the connector has fallen to bits and I'm not so sure it won't happen again.Thankfully I managed to pull the connector out of the IEM carefully with some song nose pliers.

The plastic is always vulnerable on the cables as they are regularly dosed in the sweat and oils around your ears and hair. JH changed their connector on their higher end models for two reasons - to enable the adjustable bass functionally but to also make them more hard wearing.

As always, carry a spare if you can... as at one point they will go, most likely at the ear connector end or the jack socket.

In terms of the higher quality cable - I don't think any superior quality cable will improve things sonically when being used with PA gear - and even then, the connectors are still going to subject to the same sweat etc.

Just keep using the wax picks routinely after every use and wipe them down. I tend to put mind in the acs sanitiser every couple of months too.

3 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

The plastic is always vulnerable on the cables as they are regularly dosed in the sweat and oils around your ears and hair. JH changed their connector on their higher end models for two reasons - to enable the adjustable bass functionally but to also make them more hard wearing.

As always, carry a spare if you can... as at one point they will go, most likely at the ear connector end or the jack socket.

In terms of the higher quality cable - I don't think any superior quality cable will improve things sonically when being used with PA gear - and even then, the connectors are still going to subject to the same sweat etc.

Just keep using the wax picks routinely after every use and wipe them down. I tend to put mind in the acs sanitiser every couple of months too.

Thanks Russ! - Yeah, I wasn't so fussed about the audio quality, it's perfect as it is; but the 'premium' version of the connectors do look more 'beefy' than the standard version. I may give those a whirl as I can see a weak point where the cable goes in to the connector itself which is liable to get grief in day to day use. Not sweat or anything like that, just movement in this case.

• 2 weeks later...