Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

Just caught up with a mate of mine so that he could show me his latest acquisition. These are a pair of UE900s - as mentioned numerous times in the thread - that have been sent off to be reshelled. Having seen a great amount of inears up close, these look great. Incidentally, they have retained the mmcx connectors, meaning that the existing cable from the UE900s can be used (keeps costs down too). Now, where else do you get a set of custom quads for circa £360? (These are a bit more cos of the coloured canals and the custom artwork - but still under £400 I believe).

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1508240823' post='3390725']

"Great minds..." and all that! Great idea for showcasing your band.

Hi-hats seem to be the biggest stumbling block with acoustic drum conversions - closely followed by triple zone cymbals/rides! I'm about to buy a megadrum module as the brain for my acoustic conversion, using EZ Drummer on my Mac mini for the sounds. I'm reluctant to use real hi-hats as I plan to set this all up in the house and, having 2 young kids, minimal noise is a necessity. Garage conversion to ultra man-cave is the plan, but that's a few years away yet!
[/quote]

The megadrum module is a real pig to set up. I've got one and tried to make the optical hihat controller. I've got the mechanism nailed but have really struggled to get the circuit to work. In the end we just use the brain from a yamaha dtxpress iv. Midi from the brain goes into reaper on pc via the XR18 and superior drummer runs as a vst instrument. Whilst recording we are actually hearing sounds from the brain rather than superior drummer because there's a bit of latency.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1508276728' post='3391112']
The megadrum module is a real pig to set up. I've got one and tried to make the optical hihat controller. I've got the mechanism nailed but have really struggled to get the circuit to work. In the end we just use the brain from a yamaha dtxpress iv. Midi from the brain goes into reaper on pc via the XR18 and superior drummer runs as a vst instrument. Whilst recording we are actually hearing sounds from the brain rather than superior drummer because there's a bit of latency.
[/quote]

I bought a Roland TD6 module, and a complete Alesis DM6 kit (cheap and nasty) to use the hi-hat pedal, rack and cymbals. Pulled the guts from the Alesis hi-hat pedal and used an appropriately placed FSR and 2 multi-turn trim pots to set open and closed resistance and the jobs a good un! If the physical feel isn't right for the tame drummer then I'll have to revisit the pedal/trigger end of things, but the pedal works a treat with the TD-6 module. Worst comes to worst I can rig a hi-hat stand pedal in the same way as the Alesis pedal and hack a perfectly good set of hi-hats to mount the trigger piezo.

The latency of old school midi from the TD-6 (about 4 - 5ms) through the X18 (approx 10ms) and audio back from EZ Drummer is a concern, which is why I wanted to give the Megadrum module a go. Megadrum users quote under 2ms latency, so with mac mini (with maxed out RAM and an SSD) only running EZ Drummer I hope to keep it to under 5ms. We'll see how it goes.

I haven't properly heard any of the latest electronic drum kits, but back when I was last playing in bands using electronic drums (10-15 years ago), by far the most convincing electronic cymbal and hiatus came from an original Clavia D-Drum kit and brain. Even at the time on paper it was supposedly less good than the competition, but for sheer playability of the sounds it was miles ahead.

This makes me laugh this talk of drum gear - why is it as a bass player that doesn't play drums, I'm the owner of a full set of drum mics, a full set of percussion mics, drum screens, a set of triggers...

Hell, I have more vocal mics than the lead singers in the band too...

And the guitarist has also taken to using my amp too...

Go figure.

Hashtag mug.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1508320145' post='3391285']
This makes me laugh this talk of drum gear - why is it as a bass player that doesn't play drums, I'm the owner of a full set of drum mics, a full set of percussion mics, drum screens, a set of triggers...

Hell, I have more vocal mics than the lead singers in the band too...

And the guitarist has also taken to using my amp too...

Go figure.

Hashtag mug.
[/quote]

You as well!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1508323900' post='3391329']
Could be worse. You could be me, converting this drum kit for some mythical tame drummer I'm yet to recruit...
[/quote]
Ha! this is true. At least you can convince yourself its some sort of worthwhile techy project to get your teeth into!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1508324209' post='3391331']
Ha! this is true. At least you can convince yourself its some sort of worthwhile techy project to get your teeth into!
[/quote]

True! I keep telling her-indoors "If you build it, they will come"...

Worst case scenario I won't have to buy a drum kit for the kids if/when the time comes!!!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1508323900' post='3391329']
Could be worse. You could be me, converting this drum kit for some mythical tame drummer I'm yet to recruit...
[/quote]

i spend all day designing them (amongst other MI related stuff)....i know how you feel !!

Edited by intime-nick

[quote name='intime-nick' timestamp='1508324361' post='3391334']
i spend all day designing them (amongst other MI related stuff)....i know how you feel !!
[/quote]

So you "know stuff"... Interesting... There may be questions!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1508324359' post='3391333']
True! I keep telling her-indoors "If you build it, they will come"...

Worst case scenario I won't have to buy a drum kit for the kids if/when the time comes!!!
[/quote]

Funny you should say that... I know of a frustrated guitarist... he ended up getting his kids to learn how to play bass and drums. He now has band... visually it looks a bit off... but he has a band he can gig with regularly!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1508331853' post='3391415']
Funny you should say that... I know of a frustrated guitarist... he ended up getting his kids to learn how to play bass and drums. He now has band... visually it looks a bit off... but he has a band he can gig with regularly!
[/quote]

And he can send his band mates to their respective rooms when they don't learn their stuff or suggest playing mustang sally.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1509560649' post='3399944']
I am. Any news?
[/quote]
Yes - you should have had an email but I haven't heard from anybody where the email hasn't gone into their spam folder.

So the important points are -

[b]1.[/b][color=#000000][font=Helvetica] Starting the last week of November all orders will ship from our US warehouse. [/font][/color]

[b]2.[/b][color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=4][size=4] We're happy to share with you the special bonus we promised you for being so awesome and hanging in there with us - [/size][/size][/font][/color]

[b]a.[/b][color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=4][size=4] We designed a custom Waistpack Sport Pouch - an add-on accessory that attaches your mobile to Strap™ ($19.99) which will be shipped together with your order - [/size][/size][/font][/color][b]free of charge! [/b]

[b]b.[/b][color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=4][size=4] Many have asked to buy additional Straps at the same special pricing. Attached is a coupon allowing you to purchase an additional item at the same price you bought your first one. Using this coupon, will create an additional order. If the address is the same as your original order - We'll do our best to ship both orders together[b]*[/b]. [/size][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=4][size=4]- the coupon code is on your email.[/size][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]The strap looks pretty well made to be fair! Looking forward to getting it...[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]I dont know how the freebie works either... and can't find any photos of it...? Ah well, will be a surprise when it lands.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][/font][/color]

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1508249696' post='3390832']
Just caught up with a mate of mine so that he could show me his latest acquisition. These are a pair of UE900s - as mentioned numerous times in the thread - that have been sent off to be reshelled. Having seen a great amount of inears up close, these look great. Incidentally, they have retained the mmcx connectors, meaning that the existing cable from the UE900s can be used (keeps costs down too). Now, where else do you get a set of custom quads for circa £360? (These are a bit more cos of the coloured canals and the custom artwork - but still under £400 I believe).
[/quote]

I'm wanting to get my UE900s reshelled. I got them earlier this year through the Custom IEM Company. Is that where he had his reshelled? Thanks in advance :)

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1509626204' post='3400391']
I'm wanting to get my UE900s reshelled. I got them earlier this year through the Custom IEM Company. Is that where he had his reshelled? Thanks in advance :)
[/quote]
Yes - they went to Paul at the Custom IEM Company - he deals with it all and they get reshelled in good ole Florida at Inearz. They have done a great job and the whole process was hassle free.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1509630547' post='3400434']
Yes - they went to Paul at the Custom IEM Company - he deals with it all and they get reshelled in good ole Florida at Inearz. They have done a great job and the whole process was hassle free.
[/quote]

Very tempted to get mine done.
I find getting the right tips for fit and isolation is crucial, and can't get better fit than going for a reshell I guess.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1509631756' post='3400453']
Very tempted to get mine done.
I find getting the right tips for fit and isolation is crucial, and can't get better fit than going for a reshell I guess.
[/quote]
Bang on. Once you have customs, you'll realise that a universal with tips is always a compromise! It can take a little while to get the customs to sit properly in your ears... but once youve figured out how to insert them (for some people it will take pulling the outer ear to see the customs deep into the ear canal), the seal... the fit and the isolation... is second to none.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1509630547' post='3400434']
[/quote]

How long does the reshell take to do? Could really do with a pair of 900s as a spare and getting them reshelled would make em more useful for travelling and work where I don't want to risk losing the V8s.

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1509632433' post='3400463']
How long does the reshell take to do? Could really do with a pair of 900s as a spare and getting them reshelled would make em more useful for travelling and work where I don't want to risk losing the V8s.
[/quote]
I think his took 3 or 4 weeks to turn around.