Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

[quote name='steviedee' timestamp='1501582258' post='3345619']
Hi folks and apologies for being lazy but this is a monster thread! I just bought a pair of Ultimate ear Triple Fi 10s, the drummer in my band had his re-shelled in Florida by [url="https://www.inearz.com"]https://www.inearz.com[/url] and they have done an awesome job, I was thinking of using them. I reckon there should be no duty as it's a repair (maybe). But is there anyone in the UK who you would recommend to re-shell? Thanks!
[/quote]

They would be liable for duty because they are a modification - not a repair from the manufacturer.

custom inearmonitors use inearz for their reshells.

Another recommendation for [url="http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/"]http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/[/url] - exemplary service. (EBS_F recommended them to me, thus I can recommend him too for his reliable recommendations having taken his recommendation... lol)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1502294225' post='3350527']
They would be liable for duty because they are a modification - not a repair from the manufacturer.
custom inearmonitors use inearz for their reshells.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info much appreciated!

[quote name='Nord' timestamp='1502728844' post='3353162']
Has anyone used a rev33 thingy?
[/quote]

I won one last year in a random competition they do, and in a blind test (My mate swapping outputs behind me) i did notice everything sounding clearer and cleaner when i was using it. Don't ask me what it does though, i just call it the magic box.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1503561898' post='3359095']
Behringer P2 officially announced!

[url="http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/In-Ear-Monitor-Systems/P2/p/P0CH4#"]http://www.music-gro...ems/P2/p/P0CH4#[/url]
[/quote]

A Jaw Dropping copy from Behringer! Wow...

[url="http://fischer-amps.de/en/in-ear-monitoring/in-ear-stick-new.html"]http://fischer-amps.de/en/in-ear-monitoring/in-ear-stick-new.html[/url]

Even the shell mechanism is the same!

Well, put it this way, I do own the Fischer and it is an amazing product, but I suspect whatever the price point of this, Behringer's sales will be through the roof having such a huge market share already.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1503563403' post='3359114']
A Jaw Dropping copy from Behringer! Wow...

[/quote]

My thought exactly. Makes you wonder whether Behringer have taken over Fischer, have bought the design or are manufacturing it under license. If not it's straight plagiarism.

You can't really be surprised... this is Behringer after all!

Having said that, the shell mechanism isn't even Fischer's... it's used in lots of PA related jack and socket related gizmos - its the Neutrik NA housing and is designed to fit with the Neutrik D type fittings... I doubt any manufacturer would be able to stake a claim on it's form. It's a headphone amp and it's in a widely adopted industry standard casing... I would say this one is actually fair game. The Behringer casing actually looks a bit more manufactured for purpose over the Fischer one.

If anything, there's two things that come from this -

a ) it addresses the ludicrous price of the Fischer gear - people now have a choice...
b ) it enables more people to get into inear monitoring on a budget

Surely thats a good thing?

Edited by EBS_freak

No shipping dates that I can find at the moment - just the announcement.

Stereo is good - but the lack of a balanced connection for stereo is not so good. 5 pin XLR would be good - but then I guess we are into the realms of custom cables. Still... I guess for limited cable runs unbalanced will do the business.

And apologies dood - just opened your link and it would seem that the casing has changed... this is the original Fischer casing that I am making reference to-

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1490860253' post='3268508']

Sounds like you are onto a winner though. Let us know how you get on post gig.

[/quote]

Coming to end of our busiest period now, so we've done plenty of gigs using the In ear rig.
We've only had to mess about with it a couple of times (photographers wireless flashes seem to cause the most agro) but overall, it's been great. Really miss it when doing a small pub gig and just a vocal PA.
Absolutely love using it with the QU24 and the qu-you app.
The silicone tips that came with it seem to fit quite nicely for me as well, although I'm onto the spare pair already.
Any recommendations for replacement tips ?

I think having them moulded will happen eventually, although Ill have to wait until I can be without them for a couple of weeks so that won't be until winter.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1504080717' post='3362478']
So... How would I configure my X18 to run stereo to a P2, or do I need a fancy lead?
[/quote]

I guess it depends on how Behringer configure their socket, but if they have done a direct copy of the Fischer Stick, then yes, its a special lead that takes a stereo signal and uses the three pins of the XLR plug/socket to deliver the separate channels. This is not the same as balanced line, thus the usual 'two XLR's to one XLR' merging cables will not work and shouldn't be used. Fischer actually make their own cables to go with the stick, but our favourite custom cable designer, Dave 'OBBM' built my cable for me and thus knows how to make them. - I would of course wholly recommend going to him, as you'll be able to specify exactly what lengths and connectors you need.

For your Mixer, you will set up two aux XLR outputs, one for left and one for right. That will send out your stereo mix to your IEMs. Then it's just a case of hooking up the custom cable to the mixer and then the P2 (or Fischer Stick).

I've not gone in to any detail about setting up your mixer for stereo, as that can vary from band to band depending on needs.

p.s. Once you've gone stereo, you'll never want a mono mix ever again! It makes so much sense to spread the instruments across the stereo field as if you were listening to a band normally. Nothing worse than hearing a congested sound where instruments (like synths and keys that are supposed to be stereo) mixed to mono sharing the same space as the drums, in mono, vocals, guitar nyargh!

Get OBBM to build you a Y cable into which you can insert a standard XLR lead. The XLR lead going to you pack is the one that is going to take the abuse, so you may as well make that bit standard and leave the OBBM magic at the mixer side.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1504087790' post='3362546']
Get OBBM to build you a Y cable into which you can insert a standard XLR lead. The XLR lead going to you pack is the one that is going to take the abuse, so you may as well make that bit standard and leave the OBBM magic at the mixer side.
[/quote]

Which is the really obvious bit to mention! The cable that OBBM made for me is just that, a short run and of course yup, use a standard XLR lead to take you from backline up to you wherever you are on stage. Good point, I totally missed adding that to my reply.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1504080717' post='3362478']
So... How would I configure my X18 to run stereo to a P2, or do I need a fancy lead?
[/quote]

I've also just spotted the the X18 also uses Ultranet. When I am playing with my own band, I actually use the Behringer P16m for my stereo ear mix. In this case I wouldn't use my Fischer or any other cables - everything is connected via one single Ethernet cable. I love using the iPad app for my mixes, but I find for me personally the P16m gives me access to everything I need in the whole mix, so much so that I can adjust it mid-song, where as my little iPad screen is a bit fiddly when using the Behringer app.

The P16 is a really great solution... if you are big into your inears, its great, it's just that auxes are cheaper... but yeah, P16 would be the killer move if you can afford it. Also worth mentioning, you are limited to 16 channels. The reason I didn't go down the Ultranet route is that mind band tends to use 30 channels... so half to the mix would be missing for IEM users.

Edited by EBS_freak

Would you say that the P16 is a better bet than the Allen & Heath ME1? The ME-1 looks great to me when I use it with my own band as we have a QU desk but when I am depping I am assuming that it would be pretty useless if the band didn't have an A&H desk? In which case, would the P16 be better because it looks like you can use it with any desk and it's therefore much more flexible. Only downside that I can see if lack of ambient mic which is a great feature on the ME1.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1504108290' post='3362738']
The P16 is a really great solution... if you are big into your inears, its great, it's just that auxes are cheaper... but yeah, P16 would be the killer move if you can afford it. Also worth mentioning, you are limited to 16 channels. The reason I didn't go down the Ultranet route is that mind band tends to use 30 channels... so half to the mix would be missing for IEM users.
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1504108690' post='3362743']
Would you say that the P16 is a better bet than the Allen & Heath ME1? The ME-1 looks great to me when I use it with my own band as we have a QU desk but when I am depping I am assuming that it would be pretty useless if the band didn't have an A&H desk? In which case, would the P16 be better because it looks like you can use it with any desk and it's therefore much more flexible. Only downside that I can see if lack of ambient mic which is a great feature on the ME1.
[/quote]
It does the same thing but you can only use the P16 Behringer with Ultranet (basically on Behringer stuff like the new Midas and Klark Teknik offerings)

The ME-1 you can use with A&H dsnake (GLD and iLive), MADI, Dante, Ethersound and Aviom (e.g. all the standards in the pro audio world). What the later won't do is talk to the popular XR series mixers from Behringer... but it will talk to the X32 if the X32 has got a Dante card fitted. Again, there is a limit of 16 channels.

So there is a problem - due to the differing digital audio over ethernet standards, theres no an easy way to make otherwise incompatible systems talk. Klark Teknik actually do a (very expensive) converter... but again, the notable exclusion is Ultranet.

So, if you want a truly portable cross platform solution at a cheap(ish) cost (Lets do some man maths to see if we can justify all of this!), try the Behringer P16I with a P16M.

[media]http://youtu.be/LxZdKh5XPwY[/media]

So, two of these (or one if you just want the ability to mix 8 channels) - [url="https://www.studiospares.com/Microphones/Splitter-Combiners/Studiospares-RED800-Mic-Splitter_458950.htm"]https://www.studiosp...tter_458950.htm[/url]
£130 x 2 = £260

With these, you plug everything on stage into these splitters and then onto the desk. All phantom will be sourced from desk. The tapped isolated signal (e.g. the one that can't pass phantom) is split off to the P16I via a snake.

So use 2 cheap snakes (XLR to TRS <- TRS v important1) from Thomann as they aren't going to get abused... [url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_mxp_8030.htm"]https://www.thomann....ke_mxp_8030.htm[/url]
2x18 = £36

Then plug the TRS ends into the P16I

P16I = £200

Then plug the P16M into the P16I

P16M = £275

and lastly, connect the main split into the PA using another Thomann special... [url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_sk418_3_snake.htm"]https://www.thomann....418_3_snake.htm[/url]
2 x20 = £40

So for the grand total of... drumroll... £811... :-o

You have a take anywhere 16b channel inear system!

Yeah, probably cheaper just to buy a XR18....

That actually give me another idea... (assuming you have an iPad)

Switch the P16i and P16M out and replace with an XR12 = £240 and use the headphone out off that for your headphone feed Gives you full control of 12 channels of the mix so it is completely independent of the the FOH (something that the P16 and ME1 can't do)

or a XR16 = £400 (although for the extra 75 quid, the interface of the Behringer P16 stuff is probably quite appealing)

Anyway, stuff to think about depending upon budget and whether you want 8 or 16 channels of monitoring in a system that you can use with anything.

Edited by EBS_freak

Gunsfreddy - I have made comment about a similar set up in the thread a while back...

but this is also an option...

Soundcraft FX2 mixer... check out the direct outputs on the back -

Basically, you plug everything into this mixer, and then plug all the direct outs into the FOH desk. This is your personal monitoring desk... this would replace the XLR splitters and the P16M and P16I... used about £400. You would have to phantom power off this desk in this setup.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1502556224' post='3352198']
mrtcat - how you getting on since getting your ue900s into customs?
[/quote]

Absolutely love them. The difference that stands out the most, following their conversion to custom moulds, is the noise isolation. It makes such a huge difference to their effectiveness and now I have perfect balance in my ears and can hear all of my bandmates and my bass with absolute clarity.
The service from the custom iem company was excellent and I'm now a full iem convert. So much so that I just picked up a helix and my aguilar db750 is going up for sale.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1504517493' post='3365316']
Absolutely love them. The difference that stands out the most, following their conversion to custom moulds, is the noise isolation. It makes such a huge difference to their effectiveness and now I have perfect balance in my ears and can hear all of my bandmates and my bass with absolute clarity.
The service from the custom iem company was excellent and I'm now a full iem convert. So much so that I just picked up a helix and my aguilar db750 is going up for sale.
[/quote]

Such great news! - I've been setting up my Helix LT today and am looking forward to it getting it's first outing at a gig soon. Like you, I will be using my current IEMs and just the Helix with no backline. All other pedals are staying at home it seems!