Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1461936395' post='3038925']
It would proper do my nut having those two receivers perched on top of the FunkTrunk™... mind you, mismatched receivers is causing me to break out into a sweat.
[/quote]

Perhaps a pair of VERY dark glasses so you don't see it all when you dep for me next? :lol:

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1461936801' post='3038933']
Perhaps a pair of VERY dark glasses so you don't see it all when you dep for me next? :lol:
[/quote]

Ha! I don't think the FunkTrunk[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]™ [/size][/font][/color]will be on that gig will it?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1461927709' post='3038780']
I like these IEM posts... keep them coming. Here's some more from me. C'mon Mr Zed, join the party! Tonyf, where's the SCS funk trunk?
[/quote]

Well, I won't be able to compete with the rack stuff that's going on here - but what I have in mind will be cheap, compact and will suit my needs. Waiting for all the parts to arrive then I'll start building it up. Should be ready next weekend. Certainly won't be a match for tonyf's funk trunk!

Edited by mr zed

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1462544966' post='3043927']
You nearing rack completion yet?
[/quote]

Close....very close. Parts are all with me and will be completed tomorrow. Don't get too excited, it's a very humble offering but suits my needs. Pics tomorrow.

Not the neatest job I've ever done but it works :) This is a Gator 4U shallow rack case with my XR18, Sennheiser G2 IEM system and my stageclix pack. Everything I need in 1 small lightweight case.

[url="http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/zedsled/media/Rack/P5070001_zpsfdjviiot.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/zedsled/media/Rack/P5070003_zpsctwlvsfq.jpg.html"][/url]

[URL=http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/zedsled/media/Rack/P5070004_zpspx9hwhc3.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b560/zedsled/Rack/P5070004_zpspx9hwhc3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by mr zed

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1462643657' post='3044666']
Sweet setup. Good work! :) :) :)
[/quote]

Thanks Russ. Bit of tidying up to do round the back and I might change the xlr plugs from aux 1 & 2 for the 90 degree jobbies that Neutrik do. Also hoping I don't get any interference between the Stageclix and the wifi on the XR18. Overall though, I'm a happy bunny! Thanks for your help and the inspiration to do this.

Hopefully you should be OK with the wifi - guess you'll find out in time. If things go pear shaped, I suppose you always have the option of moving the stageclix to the other side or mounting an external router inside with an external aerial that you can mount further away from the stageclix. Hopefully, the Stageclix should be able to negotiate a free channel when it's searching for free channels.

Also, with regards to right angled XLRs - beware, Behringer have mounted the auxes upside down - so the XLR cables will be going up towards the inputs... which could mess everything up. You could do with some really fine XLR cable - like that found in multicore, to get the angle from the back of a straight plug.

If you are handy, you could make low profile XLRs where you can choose where the cable comes out from. Rather than me explain it, let me see if I can find you a video on youtube as it is likely to be clearer.

Edited by EBS_freak

I don't blame you. Unless you are set up to do loads, things like that are very time consuming!

Why Behringer put the auxes in upside down I'll never know. Guessing it's to do with the way that stuff is mounted on the PCBs (and the clearance required from the sides of the case) inside.

• 2 weeks later...

It's high time I got round to writing about my IEM purchase experience, so I've written a little review:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/285288-64-audio-1964-ears-in-ear-monitors-v8-model-review-full-story/page__pid__3053766#entry3053766

Thank you BassChat, once again!

Hope you guys don't mind a couple of beginner questions about rack mounting - my band is looking at switching to IEM and I've been tasked with investigating logistics.

We're a 3/4 piece infrequent pub covers band and not particularly loud, we've just moved to the Soundcraft Ui12 desk so can use individual monitor mixes for the first time :) Drummer already has his own IEM system and the rest of us are looking at the LD MEI100. If money was no object we'd go Sennheiser or such but it is, ho hum. I'm thinking a 6U case for the desk plus four transmitters will give me more than enough room. Power in the back for all of the above plus spare sockets for battery recharger and laptop which will sit on top of the case. So one plug socket out saves me lots of faff at setup time.

So questions - The Ui12 isn't 19" and I can't seem to find any ears for it, is there any aftermarket stuff out there or failing that will a [s]bodge[/s] creative solution involving drilling the handle to screw into the mounting holes and adding a shelf with lots of velcro tape be secure enough?

Secondly, the MEI has a rear antenna, is being inside the case going to affect range/reception?

Finally, what have I missed? There's bound to be something.

Cheers,
Andy

Edited by colleya

I would get a rack shelf and mount the Ui12 on that.

Some rack shelfs have holes in the bottom so you can cable tie whatever you want to it... but you could just use a plentiful supply of velcro. Or you could drill your own holes...

Then I would get a 16 d panel like this -

And then I would buy all the neutrik chassis comments to put all the sockets on the Ui12 that you want to present on flying cables. That should sort out a neat solution for mounting the mixer. Will take you a while to solder it - but will probably give you the solution that you want.

re: the wifi. There will be some attenuation - but you'll probably not notice it significantly. (e.g. it won't be anything to worry about). There will be less loss in an ABS rack case compared to a full flight case - but in reality, even a full flight case doesn't contain that much metal - most of it is board which doesn't attenuate the wifi signal significantly. I suspect you will be able to buy a wiring kit to remote mount that aerial - but without taking a closer look, I couldn't recommend further than this.

It's probably worth mentioning that the Ui12 only has 2 aux sends... so you are only looking at running a maximum of two mixes - or one stereo mix. Don't buy 4 transmitters as they will not be able to be used. The options are buy two stereo transmitters but run them in mono... or buy one stereo transmitter and use in focus mode so you can either hand pan to the left or hard pan to the right and get a summed mono mix at the receiver end. Remember, like your standard radio system, with the receivers, more than one person can pick up the same mix, you just have to tune into the same frequency. From going what you said in your post, I suspect this is what you've missed!

My gut feeling for you is that you don't really want to rack mount this stuff. You'd be probably better off getting a 1u pizza box sized SKB rack bag and run two XLRs (either a two core multicore or two standard XLRs cable tied together) from that to the Ui12 which would be on the floor. Given the size of the Ui12, I would wager the difference in setup times would be less than a few minutes - if it minutes plural at all.

Hope this helps.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='colleya' timestamp='1463948536' post='3055281']

Secondly, the MEI has a rear antenna, is being inside the case going to affect range/reception?

[/quote]

The MEI should come with a 19" rack mounting kit. Ours did. This should then allow you to mount the antenna on the front of the rack.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1463958449' post='3055393']
The options are buy two stereo transmitters but run them in mono... or buy one stereo transmitter and use in focus mode so you can either hand pan to the left or hard pan to the right and get a summed mono mix at the receiver end. Remember, like your standard radio system, with the receivers, more than one person can pick up the same mix, you just have to tune into the same frequency. From going what you said in your post, I suspect this is what you've missed!
[/quote]

^^^^^^ Exactly what the knowledgeable Mr EBS_Freak said.

We run ours in focus mode out our Behringer XR18. We've got 3 MEI1000s giving 6 mono mixes. For each MEI1000, one mono mix goes left, the other right. At the receiver end, we pan left or right in focus mode. Works a treat.

Thanks gents.

The ui12 GUI let's me assign the two headphone outs as extra aux outs so they can be mixed independently and used as third and fourth monitor channels. I hadn't thought about the pan left & right from one transmitter though, assume that would let me send different mixes to two receivers?

Andy

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1463757294' post='3053909']
Great review dood! Really enjoyed reading about your experience.
[/quote]

I have you to thank, but mainly I hope it will help others too!

[quote name='colleya' timestamp='1464012440' post='3055735']
Thanks gents.

The ui12 GUI let's me assign the two headphone outs as extra aux outs so they can be mixed independently and used as third and fourth monitor channels. I hadn't thought about the pan left & right from one transmitter though, assume that would let me send different mixes to two receivers?

Andy
[/quote]

Correct! One transmitter, two receivers each receiving a different mix.

Ha! True benefit of stereo saves on transmitters?

Seriously though, a stereo inears mix is lovely. Less fatiguing, more true to life and a more immersive experience altogether... Assuming you spend the time to getting it right.

FOH can be all dull and mono but I love my full stereo monitor mix with luscious stereo keys, panned toms, stereo reverb and being able to position instruments throughout the LR mix. Much more fun.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464074492' post='3056233']...and being able to position instruments throughout the LR mix...
[/quote]

Is it not odd when one turns around to face away from the audience..? :unsure:
No, I'm sure it's lovely, but as an Official Old Duffer, I've got quite used to having only one monitor cab, so that will do me in the headset, too. Not a criticism; just 'old school' fuddy-duddyness, that's all. ;)