Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1435105473' post='2805594']
If you like listening to CDs, then you'll have no problems with IEMs. All in or nothing in this game. If you are relying on hearing the ambient sound bleeding through your IEMs and mixing that with whats being sent from your aux, you've already lost the game.

The key approach is to control what goes into your mix... so if you want the audience, mic them.
[/quote]

+1 Even with the standard Shure 315's I use, there is [b]no[/b] ambient sound unless you have your in-ear levels set inaudibly low! There's nothing worse than an audience member coming to the stage to request a song or ask you to announce someone's birthday... even pointing at your ears they don't seem to understand you simply cannot hear them without popping a bud! We now have a pair of cheap Behringer condenser mics, one on each mic stand, pointing forwards, our X32 desk routing them just to mine and the guitarists aux channels.

Having used my 315's for a year now, I'm considering upgrading to cosmic ears 6 drivers. Its not that I am majorly unhappy with them, it is more that the swivel joints are corroding and getting very crackly, even though I regularly clean them with switch cleaner. so, if I am upgrading, I might as well go up a few levels. I would welcome some user feedback on Cosmic Ears?

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1438039109' post='2831191']

Having used my 315's for a year now, I'm considering upgrading to cosmic ears 6 drivers. Its not that I am majorly unhappy with them, it is more that the swivel joints are corroding and getting very crackly, even though I regularly clean them with switch cleaner. so, if I am upgrading, I might as well go up a few levels. I would welcome some user feedback on Cosmic Ears?
[/quote]

I have C[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]osmic Ears 6 drivers coming this week (hopefully) so will be able to give you some feedback after my run of gigs this weekend:)[/color][/font]

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1438104405' post='2831700']
MoJoKe - good to see your in ears journey progressing. Knew you'd go customs in the end!

To those reading the thread, you can save yourself the money by bypassing the middle stages! :-p

The end game is inevitable!
[/quote]

He's right, ya know!!

• 3 weeks later...

What a thread! Lots of interesting views and experience.

I would support the theory that generally you get what you pay for.
Have used LD 100 budget system but quality was poor. Went to a wired system using Fischer headphone amp, very flexible.
Now using Behringer Personal Monitor System 16. Good value and ideal when some band members want to do IEM and others want wedges.
And like so many on this thread I use ACS earphones (custom).
The advantages with using custom made earpieces is that no person's two ear canals are the same size so with 'of the shelf' earplugs/phones etc. one will alway fit better than the other. Also hearing protection is a major factor to consider and therefore good fitting ear moulds help here too.

[quote name='paulmcnamara' timestamp='1439974944' post='2847127']
What a thread! Lots of interesting views and experience.
Not seen the Behringer system before - looks quite good.

What works best for one person only using IEM's the Fischer or Behringer?

I would support the theory that generally you get what you pay for.
Have used LD 100 budget system but quality was poor. Went to a wired system using Fischer headphone amp, very flexible.
Now using Behringer Personal Monitor System 16. Good value and ideal when some band members want to do IEM and others want wedges.
And like so many on this thread I use ACS earphones (custom).
The advantages with using custom made earpieces is that no person's two ear canals are the same size so with 'of the shelf' earplugs/phones etc. one will alway fit better than the other. Also hearing protection is a major factor to consider and therefore good fitting ear moulds help here too.
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1440059827' post='2847868']
What's the easiest set up to get a feed from a desk to use just for me as an IEM mix? Would it be the P1?
[/quote]

Yes. P1. It is a rip of the Fischer unit as Martin above implied. Its a lot cheaper than the Fischer offering and actually quite robust. Don't be put off by the Behringer name on it!

• 2 months later...

OK, so spent some time with the PSM300 now and I can confirm that it has comparable quality to the transmission of the PSM900... which is good news. It would have been a shame if the unit sounded like the PSM200 for the price point that it is at.

I would have to recommend the metal receiver over the plastic one - it's pretty much identical to the PSM900 but with a fixed aerial and limited software on board. (It wouldn't actually surprise me if they shared pretty much the same components but crippled by software. So if you are happy with the fixed rear antenna and the fact that you are limited to the fixed frequencies, then I would recommend the PSM300.

Whether or not I would take it over the comparatively priced EW300 (which has extra features), I'm not too sure - it all comes down to the noise floor... and whether you can cope with the slight hiss you get from the Sennheiser when nobody is playing (and when I say slight hiss... it really is minimal and I'm just being picky! - it certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker.)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1440066686' post='2847961']
Yes. P1. It is a rip of the Fischer unit as Martin above implied. Its a lot cheaper than the Fischer offering and actually quite robust. Don't be put off by the Behringer name on it!
[/quote]

Thanks for pointing me to this thread EBS, I'm thinking about dipping my toe in the IEM world with a Behringer P1 and some off the shelf buds and it's good to hear the P1 is one of the decent Brehringer products. I was torn between that and the LD HPA1 but they seem very hard to get hold of without going via Thomann.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1448915300' post='2919196']
Thanks for pointing me to this thread EBS, I'm thinking about dipping my toe in the IEM world with a Behringer P1 and some off the shelf buds and it's good to hear the P1 is one of the decent Brehringer products. I was torn between that and the LD HPA1 but they seem very hard to get hold of without going via Thomann.
[/quote]

The Behringer is in the same situ - Thomann seem to be the place for everything like this.

I wasn't aware of that LD system - cheers for that. I actually really like the look of the LD system over the Behringer one. Shall have to hunt one down to test out!

There's a company on Ebay selling the Behringer at £50 with free delivery if you collect at Argos. Not a great deal but speedier and easier for me now they've shut my Post Office collection place down and I have to drive 6 miles out of town to get my missed parcels :angry:

The LD does indeed look nice but a lack of buying options from the UK is stopping me pulling the trigger on one, although I am still debating it.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1448993152' post='2919907']
There's a company on Ebay selling the Behringer at £50 with free delivery if you collect at Argos. Not a great deal but speedier and easier for me now they've shut my Post Office collection place down and I have to drive 6 miles out of town to get my missed parcels :angry:

The LD does indeed look nice but a lack of buying options from the UK is stopping me pulling the trigger on one, although I am still debating it.
[/quote]

To be honest - don't think you'd go wrong with either... and you could always send it back to Thomann's (which I know is a bit of a B ache) if it wasn't what you wanted.

Here's a nice looking option - [url="http://www.shure.co.uk/products/in_ear_monitoring_receivers/p9hw"]http://www.shure.co...._receivers/p9hw[/url] - PSM900 pack without the wireless bit... Pretty expensive compared to the competition though I guess!

Edited by EBS_freak

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm expecting a delivery of some ACS Evolve Studio's today, only the universals, but i can use them with my Pro moulds so shouldn't be too bad. Mainly for home/travel use more than anything but i lost my last set of earphones and fancied an upgrade.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

Can't remember if I mentioned this already, but I have the Gear for Music own brand IEM system. Dirt cheap and easily good enough and if, like in my band, everyone is happy hearing the same mix in their ears, the savings are huge.

Edited by colgraff

• 2 weeks later...

Another question for IEM users. Are ACS the only company to offer 'ambient mics' in their in-ears? The reason for my question is in wondering if anyone makes a headphone amp/mixer with stereo ambient mics actually installed in the kit. I suspect demand would be limited but I am intrigued anyway.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1454872713' post='2973809']
Another question for IEM users. Are ACS the only company to offer 'ambient mics' in their in-ears? The reason for my question is in wondering if anyone makes a headphone amp/mixer with stereo ambient mics actually installed in the kit. I suspect demand would be limited but I am intrigued anyway.
[/quote]

One of the things Russ has suggested to me in the past is to get a couple of small condensors setup either side of the stage and use these as "ambients" to get the crowd. These are only fed into the monitor mixes, NOT out front.

We've yet to purchase a couple specifically for this task but have tried a spare dynamic on the front of the stage on a small boom where the vocalists are and it really helps liven the in-ear mix up and help get back some of the feel of the audience.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1454872713' post='2973809']
[/quote]

Sensaphonics

There is a historic link between Sensaphonics and ACS but not now. The ACS tech is ahead of the Sensaphonics stuff.

Edited by EBS_freak